1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dlp Tv's Anygood Without Hd Broadcasts?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by soni, Oct 24, 2004.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have read some threads on the DLP Rear Projection TV's, and will be purchasing one by Christmas, however i have the following concern.

Although i have read that DLP sets look very impressive with a HD input, I have also read that DLP sets look terrible with a normal Sky, Cable, or DVD input. Do they really look that bad? Obviously i don't want to fork out 2-3K on a set that isn't anywhere near the quality of my existing 28" Toshiba 100hz widescreen. If this is the case, i would rather pocket the money for another year, until HD is broadcasted by Sky, and then purchase, by which time the costs would have come down and the technology of the chips be greatly improved. Any comments would be appreciated!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Like all modern televisions that have both digital processing and new display technologies they only really shine when fed high quality source material.
    I would be surprised if a DLP panel looked poor when viewing a DVD especially fed via component and progressive scan although you have to take into account the panels resolution will be higher than PAL spec so the image will be being upscaled on the fly which will introduce artifacts etc. The resulting image will then only be as good as the internal scaler and it may be that just like some HD plasmas it would benefit from having a dedicated external scaler or perhaps one of the new breed of DVD players which have scalers built in.

There is no getting away from the fact that UK broadcast digital TV has no regulated quality control oversight and too many channels fall below what should be expected for a nation of our technology level. There is little you can do about this without spending a lot of money and you are right, many of the channels will look better on the cheaper and smaller CRT !

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your reply Starburst!

What DVD player would you recommend, i've been looking at the new Panasonic DVDS97EBS which apparently? has a HD output, although according to a AV retailer it still isn't high definition? Do you think this would be an appropriate DVD player for a Sagem, Optoma, or possibly the new Toshiba DLP?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I couldn't say, I've only read a few reviews of the new breed of high end players myself and not seen any in the flesh.
    You might get some advice from within the DVD forum on this site and it'll be worth asking Hellicopter about his Sagem DLP and it's PQ, real life useage experience:)

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks M8, i will take a look!

6. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I guess everything is relative but in descending order on the Sagem:-
    -hd test on astra
    -euro 1080 hd1
    -bbc channels on astra 28e thru qulitv box into dvi
    -sky box thru rgb scart showing american tv series such as CSI
    -sky news studio shot
    -football on astra
    -football on freeview
    -heavily compressed minor channels

Overall dlps such as sagem,samsung and optoma are in my opinion the best displays so far available in the UK.
    hope this helps

ALAN

7. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Helicopter,
    Interesting that you put BBC via DVI so high up in your quality ratings.

Do you think that a PC DTT card outputing via DVI would give a significant improvement over freeview box RGB/Component when connected to a 1280x720 LCD projector?

8. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would say noticeable but not significantly better.Therefore if no financial investment is required , give it a try
    Alan

9. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rear projection TV. HDTV, obviously, looks terrific. Standard NTSC? Not bad. Not something I would complain about. To me it looks the same as my regular 29" TV in the bedroom.

DVDs and digital cable/satellite? Looks great to me. I love my TV.

10. NinjaShredder

NinjaShredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Film based stuff (ie 25 frames per second) can look very good with a PC based DVI setup. For example the terrorist drama, 'The Grid', looked excellent. For 50Hz interlaced content, the software would probably need to include some good quality deinterlacing. Unfortunately, DigiTV (what I have) doesn't have anything better than standard bob deinterlacing, yet.

11. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Have you tried recording the programs, and just watching the resulting recording through 3rd party filters eg. Elecard or WinDVD? I find the picture to be much better than with the nebula filters.