1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Televisions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Saxman, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Saxman

Saxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a DLP rear pro set.
    I had ordered a Sagem Axium from John Lewis but thanks to AV forums, I held back after hearing about the RD 50 Optima(HD2+ etc.).
    There seem to be teething problems with that or is that just R1 DVD's
    All i want is a replacement for my old CRT TV with a good picture to watch Star Wars etc..
    I do not have R1 DVD's.
    What televison/DVD combination would your contributors recomend ?
    Toshiba DLP ,Axium,RD50,wait for Sagem HD45,Samsung 50SPLHX ?
    Also what DVD player would give the best picture and does HDMI, DVI make a noticeable difference over component?
    I have asked these questions in Comet ,John Lewis and Currys ,where the picture set ups leave a great deal to be desired and in most cases atrocious.
    When they bother to get a DVD they only scart it and say of course it would look better in DVI or component or have no idea at all.
    These products seem to be so new that the magazines have not yet reviewed them aside from the Axium.
    At least from you guys I know i will get the real story from people who know what they are talking about.

2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just got back from CURRYS and all i can say is there staff is the worst i have ever seen!!! I went there today and played stupid (some might say didnt have to play much) and he told me not to go for high def as it is not available and will not be available for at least 5 yrs may never get it at all....I told him more like next year or early 2006 he said sky's bitrate is not great and there high def (if they get it will low quality). Also that there is not better dvd player on the market then a 30 pound one!! I said what about denon and high end pioneer ect they as there was two sales men there at the same time (one the manager) said they are no better just use slightly better parts used.....Makes me laugh that people like this are directing peoples purchases they even said that if highdef was gonna take off how come there is barely any hardware in all the main UK showrooms!! I could go on and on

3. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you think that's bad then you should pay your nearest COMET a visit :suicide:

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    If you have no R1, then the optima is the one to consider, not the axium. I have one (see my review) and have no real problems, nothing is perfect (especially with me) but I'm happy with it. I'm getting used to the fan noise that you have with all DLPs now, it's like the days when you had a vcr, its the same sound as they used to make when playing a tape.