1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Technology Newbee Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ThickBloke, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ThickBloke

ThickBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there

Can someone please put in order of best to worst DLP Projection systems and maybe a little info on each.

i.e. Matterhorn, Mustang, Darkchip2................

I ask this because every DLP projector uses the words "The NEW TI Projection System......." in its sales datasheet.

Thankyou :)

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    In order from the most basic to the most advanced are :
    1) Dark Chip 2 ( Found on Infocus Screenplay 4805)
    2) Matterhorn ( Found on the Infocus Screenplay 5700)
    3) Mustang ( Found on the Infocus Screenplay 7205)
    All three produce stunning contrast ratios but the main difference between the three is the resolution. The 4805 is 854x480,the 5700 is 1024x576 and the 7205 is 1280 x 720. These differences will be noticeable by the smoothness and fine detail of the picture as the resolution goes up.

Hope this helps,
    Danny

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this relate to the speed of the wheel as well or is that a separate thing? Does anyone know the speed of the wheel on the darkchip?

Regards
    Robert.

4. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the new Optoma H57 has 1024 x 576 native resolution and uses DarkChip2 technology. Where does that fit in the list above (by Oakleyspatz). I thought this might be a Matterhorn DarkChip2 ???
    Thanks, Jason.

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I though that as well but it seems that the £1800 Optoma 57 has the same spec chip as the much cheaper Infocus 4805? Allthough isnt the Optoma higher res? Anyone any idea of the colour wheel speeds?

6. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Infocus 4805 = 4x 6 segment
    Infocus 5700 = 5x 6 segment
    Optoma H57 = 4x 6 segment
    Optoma H77 = 5x 8 segment

7. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The DarkChip2 is so called because of the different angle of tilt of the micromirrors which improves the contrast. For this chip, it doesn't refer exclusively to the resolution, but the angle,DarkChip 2 Technology can be used alongside a Matterhorn or a Mustang chip but as it is usually used in projectors at the lower end of the market, the resolution tends to be lower.
    The Mustang is also called the HD2+ chip and DOES refer to it's resolution ( The HD refers to High Definition and a resolution of 1280 x 720.)
    The Matterhorn Chip was designed to offer XGA resolution in a Widescreen format and again refers to it's native resolution of 1024x576.

Hope this clears this up

9. fruitloops

fruitloops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Infocus x1 with an upscaler that produces 1024x768 and is excellent. 9 foot screen. Will never go to a big screen. The viewing cone is huge on a projector compared to a big screen. X1's can range anywhere in price from 700 to 1000 look around. I and my family are not disappointed in the least with a 1000 lumen projector.

Must be semi to dark in the room.