1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP RPTVs in the UK...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tomas L, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I read recently that LG intends to launch rear projection TVs using DLP technology later this year in the UK.
    Does anybody know when other manufacturers like Samsung or Loewe (or other) are planning to launch thier DLP RPTVs in Europe?

LG DLP-RPTV....

2. Hasse

Hasse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Tomas L!

As you now know, Samsung has presented two DLP`s in their latest productcatalogue (2002/2003) for the Swedish market:

SP-50L2HX and SP-43L2HX

Does anyone else out there in Europe know anything more, from your countries?

Streetdates?

Prices?

Rewievs?

3. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have E-mailed LG to ask when these Tv's will be released, there reply was none to helpfull. They said that if I gave them a model number they would tell me when the release date would be but as their website has no details as of yet how do they expect me to give them information they currently dont have. Have E-mailed them back will let you know their response.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Perhaps you could try emailing them in Korea (unless this is what you've already done) explaining the answer you got from the UK!

5. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers RCT I'll give that a try and see if I get any joy!

6. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Take a look at what somebody (well, actually me!) wrote in the US AVSForum:

"I emailed the local Samsung Finland for info on the eventual release of these Samsung DLP RPTV's in Europe. They forwarded me to a product manager in Sweden. I asked about the release date, HD resolution and Faroudja. Here's a rough translation of the answer I got:

The 1st generation models are sold in the US, the 2nd generation models will be available in Europe in 2003. The models SP43L2HX and SP50L2HX that are in their new catalog and were supposed to be released this autumn will be replaced with LCD RPTV's.

The DLP models they'll be later selling will include a 43'' model and a 50'' model. The specs are not ready yet, but they won't be HDTV models "because we don't have that in Europe". However, we should be getting progressive PAL support (whatever that exactly means), XGA input (!) and probably Faroudja too (!!)."

7. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My local currys has the LG 44" in stock and on show. Not sure of the quality as all TV look poor due to the crap source used in the store.
    From the front it looks like a plasma screen, in fact it is pretty slim when you look around the back. All in all its a very neat package.

8. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi all, just seen this in the flesh (at Currys) and very nice it is to. Got quoted £2495.00:eek: I woudn't be suprised if it gets discounted soon when it becomes more widely available. Hope some of the mags. test it soon because it promises to be superior to other projection T.V.s. My own experience with L.G. isn't to good though, I bought a 21" T.V.\Video just before christmas from them and it's at there repair centre for a second time and they've had it six weeks :mad: Going to ask for my money back or another unit on monday...........Cheers oddbodd

9. john

john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    guys have just purchased an lg 44" inch dlp to replace the samsung rear projection i had with numerous problems i spoke to the guys from currys about plasma and lcd tvs they told me that they had just completed a course on dlp and as far as they are concerned dlp knocks spots of plasma and lcd they told me they would cost the same as a plasma or lcd but i found that they are much cheaper £1.799.00 so if anybody has any information whatsoever about these tvs i would be gratefull if you could post.
    :lease:

10. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    even now they still have the viewing angle problem and lets face it people at currys comet etc still telling people plasmas need refiling after so long

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Official release dates are Sept for the Samsung models, and October for Toshiba. Don't buy any of the current models until you've seen the new ones. Reports from the States on their predecessors suggest that the new models could be very good.

12. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I was just going to order a Sony KP44PX3U until I read about the smearing/streaking problems.
    How is your LG looking for smearing/streaking??

13. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also meant to ask about stands; all the pictures I have seen of this TV are freestanding, are they meant to be put on a stand? And if so how much are the stands?

14. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Daz,

The LG dlp comes complete with it's own stand. I have one to replace my 44px3 coming in a week or so (due to the streaking issue & geometry probs). The stand on the LG is OK but I don't think it will take all of my kit: centre speaker, amp, sky box & dvd. I'm debating whether to shelf mount centre speaker on the wall behind the TV or the dvd & sky box.

The top shelf on the stand has a clearance of approx 7.5", and the second shelf is 4.5" - leaving a small area under this to the floor (didn't measure that). I asked in Comet this weekend and it doesn't look like you can adjust these - although I guess there's nothing to stop you re-positioning them by drilling the same size holes in the legs of the stand?

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

15. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Finally took the plunge after hours of reading these forums and ordered my LG. Fingers crossed eh!!!!
    Can't wait to get it and watch my beloved Newcastle on it !!!!

Howay the lads!
    Daz