Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DLP retroprojectors as alternative to plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by eamann, Aug 19, 2003.

1. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Yesterday I happened upon a reference in a French-language forum (I live in Brussels) to 50" DLP retroprojectors which apparently have specifications as good if not better than plasma screens, weigh the same, are only slightly thicker and, at under €4000, cost a third of the price! Models are currently being sold in France by LG and Sagem.

My question: if these DLP retroprojectors are so good, why are there not more of them on sale and why do I not find any reference to them on this forum?

Here's a link to that French forum http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29709810 plus a link to a US company that manufactures DLP retroprojectors http://www.optomatv.com/Content/N_Optoma_Advantage.asp

In conclusion I would like to thank all those people, especially the busy professionals, who take the time and trouble to follow this forum and share with the rest of us their experience and expertise.

Éamann

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    SIM2 and Loewe are tow of the guys who do rear pro DLP in this country. Units are large but often good

Gordon

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    To answer your question - I guess, because they are a very new concept, with few models available from fewer manufacturers, so few people have begun to take an interest.

One of our major chain stores sells models made by LG.

(Also, for your information, we would refer to such a TV as a Rear Projection TV - this may help your future searching).