1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vandal, May 9, 2005.

1. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi all,

As I mentioned in another thread, my Tosh DLP has given up the ghost after just under 5 months.

After phoning the retailer, I was phoned by a TV repair company who immediately said they would need to take the TV to the workshop.

I argued the toss on this, as it could simply be the bulb that has gone and could be replaced on site. Surely this should be an engineer's judgement call?

Anyway, I was looking for advice on the whole repair issue, as I am sure I had read on here that having a TV repaired affects your consumer rights in some way. Is this right?
    Anything else I should be watching out for?

I am going to take photo's of the TV etc, to make sure I have some evidence if it comes back scratched or whatever.

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Are you sure your Tosh set wasnt 'Vandalised' :D

Im sorry I couldnt resist that.

If your set is under 6 months old I would insist on a replacement set and not a repair.

Good luck :thumbsup:

3. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    'Cheers' to Razor :D

Cheers Lion, that sounds promising...

Will ensure I get something from the geezer before he leaves!

V.

4. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st 6 months u can demand a refund acc to trading standards

5. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vandal,

If you're going to do any paperwork, also specify that they have to handle it well - DLPs are particularly susceptible to bad handling and if they don't keep it in an upright position, they could easily misalign the color wheel.

This is something a lot of vendors don't know about and then people get these TVs who have been placed on their back or on their fronts and then all sorts of strange artefacts start to show up.

6. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    That's interesting - I will check it out thanks.

If you're going to do any paperwork, also specify that they have to handle it well - DLPs are particularly susceptible to bad handling and if they don't keep it in an upright position, they could easily misalign the color wheel.

Good point cheers - although I may try and get my money back if the above is true. If the engineer does take it away, I am going to have a good chat with him before it goes :D

V.

7. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi vandal,
    I would insist on a replacement as when my RD50 broke down,just showing a green screen,an inept engineer called round and said engineers would come to my house and replace the board.
    I refused and demanded a replacement which i got.
    Ok,this was only 1 day after receiving the set but i still think your within your rights. Good luck.

8. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st month after purchase is refund/replace, after that they are only legally obliged to offer repair (you can ask for a refund, but they are not obliged to to so). That being said if they fail to repair it after 3 reasonable attempts refund/replacement comes back into play.

This is unless of course you bought an extra warranty with it or the shop you bought it from offered better cover.

9. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Where'd you get this info Chumpy?
    I thought you could still get a refund up to the end of the warranty.

10. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Had the engineers round this morning on the proviso that they didn't take the set away.

They checked the lamp and it was in fact the bulb that had gone.
    The bulb is now on order and will be fitted next week.

This leaves me with a dilemma which I will be taking up with Tosh and the vendor...
    This is a £250 to £300 piece of kit and it has only lasted 5 and a half months.

It could be that some other fault has caused the lamp to go, but I still want some kind of reassurance from Tosh/vendor on my warranty.
    I may still take out an extended warranty with a 3rd party but I don't think they cover bulbs.

More worries unfortunately. Will be interesting to see how these TV's hold up in the next six months before people start to get to the end of their warranty periods!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    legallyi think its 7 days fopr a replacement, anything after that is at the retailers DISCRETION. after 3 repairs there is no legal reason to get a new one but you take it to court and argue it was unfit for purpose. Ufit for purpose goes alot furtehr than warranty, but is up to a judge to decide. There was a case anumber of years where philips had a set of dodgy Tube and after 11- 16 months they going pop, philips were charging for a replacemnt tube and some owners took them to court, the judge ruled that a £2k TV should last longer than 13 months and philips had to fit tubes FOC or refund, (via the retailers). Good idea to take pictures of the set before it is collected especialy corners (these often get bashed).

12. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much standard sale of goods act - applies to most products - nothing special about AV kit unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    The Sale of Goods Act gives you rights well beyond that of the warranty - if the goods are (various vague phrases like "not of merchantable quality", "unfit for their purpose") and, importantly, time limits (such as 7 days etc) are not specified. And manufacturers and retailers can only specify otherwise if this improves your rights; they cannot take them away with terms and conditions or policy. Do a search for the official government website detailing your rights, and seek the help of Trading Standards if it becomes necessary.

14. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    That was my understanding too LV426.

I will see if the lamp replacement works, so that I at least have a working TV and then I will speak to Tosh and the vendor to explain disatisfaction at the bulb life!

15. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have to admit all these faults are starting to scare me :rolleyes: . If you ask me, the faults being described are more related to lousy quality control than to the technology itself. I mean, I doubt there has been one single problem with the DMD itself reported here. It's all stuff that's really power related (such as failing lamps which usually are a sign of a ballast problem) or smudges or lines or whatever (bad QC?)... :thumbsdow .

Its true that you usually only see the problems posted on such forums but perhaps someone can tell us whether similar problems are appearing in the other forums of the competing technologies i.e. Plasma and LCD and whether they appear at the same frequency.

16. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :eek: Lamp gone in less than 6 months

17. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The lamp is user replaceable anyway, instructions are in the manual, so it should be unnecessary to take the set away for that reason. I believe the lamp is under guarantee for the first year, is this so?

18. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SAMSUNG 50" has also died on me after less than 5 months!!!

Unbeatable.com passed me onto SAMSUNG customer service who then passed me onto a local repair team who in turn told me that they don’t repair DLP TV’s and passed me back onto SAMSUNG who then in turn told me that the local repair team should be able to repair a DLP TV???

At the end of the day all I got to show for nearly £3K is a massive gorgeous looking TV just keeps switching itself on and off and blinking at me (the little smiley face on the control dash).

19. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Pantages, the lamp is user replaceable, but under the warranty Toshiba insist on having the original lamp unit back before sending a new one - thus inconveniencing their customer further.
    I now face the prospect of being without the TV for around three weeks since the fault started.

Tosh aren't doing themselves any favours with this way fo working...
    I am awaiting a call from the customer service manager to discuss this issue.