1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Rear Projection Televisions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stubie_do, Jan 22, 2003.

1. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Has anyone seen a DLP rear projection television?

If so, what are your views.

2. john

john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi stuart,
    i saw one in curry,s last night, i have a samsung rear projection 42" of which i have had major problem's as i boght it from curry's i went back and i am now replacing it with a 44" lg dlp, i spoke to the repair guy's at mastercare and they reckon that they are far superior to plasma and lcd.

3. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    how can the bloke at mastercare compare the two rear projection is still very big and very bulky where as plasmas lcd are so so slim and sexy

rear projection still suffers badly from the viewing angle issue wich can be a pain in the but

go down to your local comet look at the dlp rear pro move your head ever so slightly wheres the picture gone.

do the same with a plasma lcd you can more a less walk around the entire room and still see the picture

think also with plasmas lcd you get a much brighter crisp image if its set up right and they last a lot longer
    all this said rear pro are a lot cheaper than plasmas lcd

i :smoke:

4. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rear projection DLPs do have some major things going for them. They allow you to get an e.g. 50" picture for a very reasonable cost - about half that of same sized plasma and I don't think it is even possible to get LCDs to do the same thing yet .

Also picture quality can be VERY good - extreme example is the SIM2 (which sells for about €14,000), but the others mentioned below can easily compete with any plasma.

Don't confuse DLP rear projection TVs with the old type - big difference! They are also getting a lot slimmer. Current generation still about 40 CM (which is not bad for a 50"), but soon should expect to see slim enough to hang on the wall.

Check out the Loewe Articos, Samsung SP-50L7H, Thomson 50 DLY644, Sagem Axium. All top quality rear projections costing between €3000 and €5500

Pipcat

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    for that much money your in plasma ground

6. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rooney - I think you are missing my point. High end DLP rear projection TVs are not just a cheap solution. They can give a superior picture to a Plasma.

Unless you are really wanting to hang it on the wall (which normally means re-plastering to cover the wires etc.) then they should be seriously considered by anyone wanting the best possible picture around.

Pipcat

7. john

john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,
    acoording to lg this tv con be wall mounted it also has a 160 degree viewing angle i have already checked it out , so rooney i think its you that needs to go down to comet and have a proper look.

8. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    allready have hence the reason i bought a plasma

9. john

john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problem

10. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Having recently weighed up the pro's and cons between DLP and plasma myself, i opted for the DLP.
    I bought the sagem axium. Mainly cause i would be playing games on it and with DLP you dont get screen burn. A major problem with plasma.
    To an untrained eye the difference in picture quality between DLP and plasma is very slight. To me the Sagem was just as good as any plasma for under three grand. As for the viewing angle, on the horizontal plane you would need to move along way for the picture to deteriorate. The vertical is a bit less but it you would'nt be moving much vertically.
    How big is the average living room?
    You sit down right in front of it, open a cold one, and watch it.

11. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmmmm..... No such warnings with the sagem. I too am only going by what I read from those better educated in these matters than myself.

Perhaps theres a tech head out there that can clarify this???

12. john

john

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi lion,
    what is your opinion on the lg dlp rear projection, i ordered one the other day the shop said it takes about 2 weeks, i played with one in the shop and was quite impressed since you already have one up and running i would just like you opinion or any body elses opinion on dlp.

cheers john :lease:

13. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the LG DLP and thought it was a shocker. It was next to a Sony Grand Wega SX300 in the shop and the LG wasn't even in the same league. Not only were the resolution and contrast bad but I couldn't help noticing this weird rainbow affect appearing whenever I moved my eyes from one part of the screen to another. The sales guy who was watching it with me confirmed that this was indeed due to the TV, and not because I'd mistaken any LSD for my vitamin suppliment that morning... There's no way on earth I could live with that TV!

14. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be a personal thing with DLP sets, I was looking about for a new plasma when I found the LG and for me it was a much sharper picture than most of the sub 3k plasmas in there.

It was also next to the SX300 and I dont know how well the Sony was set up but the LG really did look better, So I bought one
    :thumbsup:

Oliver

15. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Having had both the Sony sx300 and the sagem I can tell you that the sony is mutton dressed as lamb. I sent it back twice and eventually got my money back so I could buy the sagem. Any rainbow effect is nothing compared to the faults I found with the sony LCD RP.

16. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was next to the old SX200 I could understand that but it really was night and day for me in favour of the SX300 and I'm flabbergasted at how anyone could put up with the DLP's grey instead of black, and no textures to be seen anywhere. I've seen equally bad VGA plasma TVs of course but before I saw DLP I was lead to beleive that it was some new 'wonder technology' that was going to shake up the big-screen market...

17. crusade

crusade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you dont think of LCD Rear projector TV? I thought the DLP had a good black.. atleast what I have read of reviews about Sagem Axium..

18. DazW

DazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a LG DLP and I can say I am 99% satisfied with it, the 1% being the fact I can't get my SKY+ remote to work with it!! The black is black, the viewing angle is fine and the picture is superb - all of this for slightly sub £1500!!!

19. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I had high expectations but it was an LG DLP set and it was very dissappointing.Maybe the Sagem (or the new Toshiba) are better but that LG left me with a very low opinion of the technology.

20. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend got a Loewe Articos 55" DLP set, and it is absolutely stunning. Fantastic pictures and a great horizontal and vertical viewing angle. :smashin:
    Not the cheapest set though.

21. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Offtopic:

Do DLP rear projection sets still suffer from rainbows or are they reduced?

22. crusade

crusade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do think (and hope, as I have an Sagem Axium on its way) that this problem has been reduced with the newer models.

Anyone have any info about this, or personal experience?

23. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As already mentioned in this thread there are a few new DLP sets coming out from Samsung, Toshiba & Thompson but I dont know if anyone stocking these yet?

24. webbp

webbp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know the resolution of the LG?
    The Sagem I know is 1280x720 but I've scoured the net & cant find any resolution info on the LG.
    I thought all the DLP sets were 1280x720, but at the price of the LG, I cant see that is possible.

25. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a new Sagem Axium model on it's way out now, you better wait til that arrives on the market.

26. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    October release dates on these sets.
    This set uses the Matterhorn Chip, with a resolution of 1024 x 576 (i.e. optimised for widescreen PAL).