1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Rear Pro Reliability??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by skeet94, Oct 12, 2005.

1. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I might be looking at buying a new TV, since my Sony died (still not heard back from the repair company so starting to lose hope). Anyway, I know DLP technology has been around for quite some time so I take it has had enough time to "mature" in terms of reliability. I know the main problem with them is either a "stuck" mirror, or the lamp failing. The Lamp seems to be the "catch" in terms of the cheap prices of DLP sets.

My main question is though, how reliable are these sets?

Are they comparable to CRT's in terms of reliability?

Or are they somewhere in between Plasma's and CRT's?

I've currently got my eye on the Samsung SP46L6 sets.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If by reliability you mean lifespan or durability, then it's too soon to tell. DLP rear pros are the new kids on the block. Theoretically they should last a donkey's age - only time will tell if that is the reality.

If however you mean day to day performance reliability and quality, then as a SP46 owner with two months of problem free (touch wood) performance and superb quality viewing, I would have to say :thumbsup: - best money I've ever spent!

If you read the threads, some people have had operating faults with a range of DLP sets, but no more or less than any other type of TV technology.

3. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pauley. Just curious though, how long do you use your TV a day?

Since the TV in my household is on anywhere from 7 hours during weekdays and upto 12 hours plus on weekends.

Have you got the H6 or H7?

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I run the TV about four hours or so per night. Longer at weekends.

I have the "6" - there is no "7" version of the 46" model, only the "6" and the earlier "3" model.

5. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    I've also just bought the Samsung 46". Apparently it has an estimated life span of 45,000 hours. That is pretty much the same as an LCD and more than a Plasma.

6. The Jayler

The Jayler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can then you change the bulb and voila! another 45000hrs
    In theory anyway.

7. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    One other point. Suprisingly, it consumes less power than LCD and way less than Plasma. This Samsung model uses 160w or below 1w when on stand-by. I think that is quite unbelievable considering the size and quality of these beauties.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Don't forget in essence it's a bulb and a spinning wheel and the rest is printed circuit boards and chips - so not much to eat up power.

As to 45,000 hours bulb life being...
    ...you'll be very lucky if you get that long out of any LCD projection system. LCD "chips" contain organic compounds that slowly deteriorate as light passes through them.

In 2003 the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the Rochester Institute of Technology conducted a very interesting test of the durability of DLP vs. LCD.

Two DLP projectors and five LCD projectors were run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for five months, with breaks only to change lamps as needed. During this time each projector was periodically measured for lumen output, contrast, uniformity, and color chromaticity for white, red, green, and blue.

In essence, the tests concluded that the two DLP projectors used in the evaluation delivered stable contrast and color balance that remained relatively unchanged from their original state for over 4,000 hours of continuous operation.

Meanwhile, the five LCD projector test units tended to noticeably shift color balance and lose contrast over time. The image quality of the LCD projectors eroded fairly rapidly, eventually degrading to the point of unacceptability.

This was the point at which the picture quality was judged to be sufficiently degraded that an average user (as opposed to one of us quality fanatics :devil: ) would not be satisfied with it. The effect was pretty much like a gun going in a CRT set, with the picture on one projector having a predominantly reddish hue, while another had a blue cast to the image, and so on.

The first LCD projector was judged to reach this unacceptable condition in just 1368 hours of operation. The remaining four units were said to have degraded to an unacceptable state in 2,160, 2,352, 3,456, and 3,456 hours respectively. That's fairly quickly.

This is something I've noticed in work, where we share two LCD and one DLP projectors between two departments. After about three to four year's usage the LCDs were definitely showing signs of colour imbalance.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I seem to recall that the research to which you refer was sponsored by a DLP manufacturer......

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes it was commissioned by Texas Instruments, but carried out by a highly reputable, independant research institute. The white paper they published with their findings is available online.

The research also bears out my experience in the workplace re. the deterioration of front pro LCDs after a few years. In addition to our workplace LCDs, the rear pro LCD in the lounge of a nearby hotel I frequent is approaching six years old and is hopelessly discoloured with a nice pink cast to the picture.

11. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It was sponsored by TI. I hope you are not trying to imply that Munsell Color Science Laboratory (MCSL) would report false data due to who was sponsoring them. This might upset them slightly.

If I am reading what you are implying incorrectly apologies.

12. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Perish the thought.....

13. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550

Surely those numbers can't be right! If a TV is on for average 8 hours a day (mine is, so thats where I got that number from) then 1368 hours equates to only 171 days of use. I can't see that being anywhere near correct at all! :confused:

14. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    That is really odd. It would be intesresting to find out EXACTLY what monitors they tested and what price range they fall into. How the hell can companies quote 50,000 to 70,000 hours on LCDs' and 20,000 to 45,000 on DLPs???

Surely that is false advertising? I really can't see how this is accurate. If that were the case, surely there would be a huge out-cry?

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    OK First up - this test was done on front projectors. I'm not claiming that it makes a material difference compared to rear projectors, because I don't know. However it seems plausible that a higher intensity lamp, perhaps, coupled with a much smaller enclosure, may have an effect on internal temperature - which is the most likely cause for any deterioration seen in the LCDs.

Second - the conditions of the test were unreal. They purport only to quantify the deterioration that takes place in virtually constant use. Lamps were, they say, changed. But were filters cleaned (etc)? And what were the ambient conditions? Cool, hot, what?

I have a ceiling mounted LCD projector which has been used for 2600 hours or so - but intermittently over 5+ years. I have no empirical means of measurement, but subjectively, after a new lamp was fitted recently, it looks "as good as new".

My brother in law has a seven year old LCD rear projector TV. It needs its optics (mirror, lens) cleaning to remove softness from the image as he has allowed it to get dirty inside. However, there isn't any colour deterioration (again, subjectively) after 7 years of "normal" (whatever that means to him) use.

The 50,000 hour figures are more likely attributable to direct view LCDs, which are, of course much less likely to get hot, than the LCD chips in any type of projector. In fact, the last time I saw this figure it was the expected lifespan of the backlight.

16. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yep I read that same article.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_test.htm

I am sure the test was not perfect. It is very hard to get a perfect test. Using real viewing usage by the time the test was complete no one would care! The temperature argument seems a bit strange as well. I know that I want to keep my room at a temperature that is comfortable to me, and the dog. If I knew I had to keep my room at a certain temperature to ensure that my AV did not fail I would not be happy.

17. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Very interesting article. After reading that, it seems there isn't much to panic about. The Lab environment is entirely different to the home for a start. Another factor would be that the TV's on test are probably about 4-5 years old now. In terms of Television technoogy, that is pretty damn old. I would certainly expect reliability on longivity to have improved by then.

I sent back an LCD screen because I am replacing it with a DLP. Nothing to do with this article. It just didn't seem like watching proper television to me. Sure it was great looking and took up little space but I wasn't willing to keep it because of this. I wasn't happy with the extremely bright display, the smearing and the juddery movement. I went to Curry's and examined practically EVERY LCD set in the store and I noticed flaws in every one of them except a cetain Phillips model which really did look the Dog's tecticles. However, I wasn't willing to fork out £1,500 or what ever it cost for a 32" screen.

I have been reviewing, searching, and contemplating wheter to buy another LCD or a Plasma. I then decided I wanted the new Sagem 32" LCD with the 10 speakers etc etc, mainly because it looked fantastic and performed 'OK'.

I then discovered DLP for which, to be honest, I completely ignored before as I didn't know much about the technology. I always thought Rear Projector Televisions were very dull, expensive and far too big (width wise) to keep. After more research, it turns out I was COMPLETELY wrong.

This WAS how RP TVs' looked before I ever seen a DLP. I just wasted £70 on a Wall mount for an LCD but to be honest I don't really give a toss. I am getting much more in return with a DLP set.

I'm aware there are problems with rainbow etc but I am hoping this isn't going to effect me. If it does, then inevitably another technology will have to be considered. For the time being, I just don't think LCD is worth the money because in terms of performance, it certainly isn't worth it.

18. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello people, thanks for all the informative posts, now I'm dead set on DLP IF my Sony is not repairable.

Also I'm going to have to take everyone in the house to Curry's or Comet to see if any of them can see Rainbow's or if they get headaches or anything.

19. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Don't forget, most of the TVs' at Currys or other big stores have unrealistic lighting conditions. I have been assured the DLPs look MUCH better in the home. Don't forget to squat down and view the TV straight on. Vertical viewing angles are far from terrific. :smashin: