1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Rainbows

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jordans Norks, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    All, just purchased a Sammy SP50 and I'm afraid I suffer from the rainbow effect....badly...does anyone have any advice on how to minimise the effect (back lighting etc)...I really don't want to return the set (everyone else thinks it's awesome) and I've sort of fallen in love with the thing :)

Also if anyone else has suffered rainbows and you've got used to them, please post your experiences.

Appreciate that there are many varied threads on this, but I'm so desperate for some advice I'm hoping some kind soul will respond :lease:

By the way...if you also feel DLP isn't for me please let me know...although I love the Sammy I'm easily swayed!

2. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I suffered from slight eye strain when I first got the set. After a couple days this stopped happening. Thankfully.

I did not see rainbows until after a week. To be honest I do not see them very often at all so I am not the best person to answer. But when I do see them I just try not to get obsessed about it. If I was seeing them all the time then this would be harder.

I have heard that they are worse when you are tired and/or in complete darkness.

3. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was exactly the same. Terrible rainbow effects, had to switch off a few films as they were completely unwatchable. I found turning down the brightness to around 45 helped a bit, but having had the set for about a month, I'm either getting used to them or they have stopped being so obvious. I can still see them easily enough but I think I've just stopped caring.
    Hang in there!

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi jordan :hiya:
    the problem is if you go looking for rainbows you will find it :eek: try and not look for them and relax when you watch tv.Its just a matter of time before you adjust,good luck :thumbsup:

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I used to see rainbows all the time on the Toshiba 46WM48 and then on the Samsung SP50 but I personally saw them less on the sammy (although other have seen the reverse) and I could cunjure them up anytime I wanted but I now 8 weeks later I hardly ever see them at all.

The lighting in the room does make a difference - darker is worse. I have changed my TV settings too - I live by cinema mode (the skin tones are awesome and overall colour rendition is superb) contrast 85, brightness 57, sharpness 57, colour 50, digital NR Off, DNie On, colour tone Warm1. Same settings on every source.

High contrast or poor quality sources produce more rainbows but some scenes will always produce them no matter what. The key is not to obsess - and its hard not too - but it really does work if you chill and don't start scanning your eyes frantically about the screen trying to see any more.

Also - and this is really important - watch lots of stuff you really enjoy and have never seen before!! It sounds stupid but it really helps as you get so wrapped up in the shows/movies that you relax, forget about rainbows (or whatever is bothering you) and just enjoy the TV in all its glory and I guess this unconciously also helps to train or adjust your eyes to cope as I almost never see them now - even in dark scenes or when turning the lights off! Its bizarre! And some movies must be watched in darkness like at the cinema to enjoy them.

I have also found that high quality source, such as HD, makes a difference too - I used to see them all the time while watching 24 on Sky but I've watched a few HD episodes and no rainbows - the contrast levels are better with HD I think.

Anyway - hope this helps. Stick with it as long as you can.

Cheers
    KableMan

6. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems that alot of dlp owners have experienced the rainbow effect. im no techy but one thing i know is the set (sp50) is extremely bright, and alike looking into a bright light when you look away you kinda see bright spots, im not sure if this is the rainbow effect, but when i look away from the screen in total darkness i see these effects. i have found a light is crucial for evening viewing after a long day at work.

7. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KABLEMAN U GENIOUS!!! major appreciation for posting your settings, i noticed a huge improvement to me and the ladies regular sky viewing. nice one!! i would recommend you guys try these settings.

8. brett0004

brett0004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got to agree with Kourosh and Kabbleman, I also have a sp50 and I am the only one in the family that sees them but I feel that I go looking for them, but I just love this tv and there aint no way that I am going back to that 51cm set, I think if you relax after a while you will not see them as much.

9. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I'm not sure if it's the rainbow effect I see on my Tosh 52", but what I do see is an odd sort of posterising effect that is a bit fringed with red green and blue. It's most noticeable on high contrast edges and a panning movement of the image, rather than simply fast moving images. Oddly, it seems most obvious on a medium close up of a person's face/upper body. As soon as the image stops panning the effect goes away. The thing that seems to trigger it is a low quality source, such as a low-bit-rate Sky picture. The higher the bit rate the less obvious, until by the time you're getting to de-interlaced progressive DVDs, or HDMI DVDs the effect has all but entirely disappeared.

So the answer would seem to be get into HiDef as soon as possible and then your Samy will show it's true colours, or lack of, as will my Tosh. :)

Regards

Mark

10. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed, with the imminent movement into hd massmarket terrirory rainbows will be defeated!! i havent seen any ill effects on hd stuff, its only on as you mention - low bit rate quality feeds from sky.

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi kableman :hiya:
    how are you? good to see your still happy with your sammy50 :thumbsup:

12. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went to Currys in Derby about a month ago to demo the Sp50.. I took my own dvd player and films in to watch and i noticed afew rainbows my self. I was upset because of this because i really wanted this tv so I decided to think about other alternatives....

To this day I have been thinking, maybe I`ll get used to them or maybe I was looking for the rainbows on purpouse thats why I saw them.. Up until last night I was still undecided.. BUT my missus purchased Creep on dvd from my local supermarket where I work.... Put it in the DVD player and began to watch it.. on the 50 minute mark.. it hink it was anyway, the main character was in a cage in some water.. and I started to begin seeing, wait for it..... Rainbows... I couldnt belive it myself. I was watching on a Daewoo 32" CRT about 4 years old now.. but still going strong.. i thought this was really wierd.... but if i remember correctly when I went to demo the sp50 i went straight from work about 7pm did 12 hours at work that day so was really tired... and last night I had a few beers and was tired also... So in my conclusion I personally think the rainbows that effect me are due to being tired.. I never seen this on my CRT tv before, of on a dlp when I been into the shops looking at them during the day .. I hope someone can support this theory as I am now considering buying the sp50 again....

Regards Chris

13. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Blimey...been away all day and just logged on to see if I had any replies...two blooming pages...amazing...I've only scanned a few (the misses wants to "do stuff") so I'd like to say thanks for all the responses and I'll try out peoples suggestions and let you all know!

Once again, thanks one and all! :smashin:

14. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey kourosh :hiya: Yes still very happy with the Samsung - best thing I've ever bought I think - its taken my viewing pleasure to a new level :thumbsup:

Glad I could help Tim :smashin: I remember switching to cinema mode during an episode of Star Trek Entrpise on Sky1 and it was like switching to a DVD the difference it made to the skin tones and colours was so great. I can't watch it any other mode now. I arrived at the other settings using the Star Wars THX calibration (cheers razor :smashin: ).

Mark - I think you are describing the dreaded Toshiba blur - I suffered badly with this on the 46WM48 and ended up returning it in the end. Unfortunately I saw it a lot on HD and DVD too :( But I think it is made worse for rainbow sufferers as you do get faint rainbows at the edges. I've only seen this effect once or twice on the Samsung but always very brief (and not to the extent that I saw it on the Toshiba) and due to very poor source - and when I say poor I mean really bad. I've never seen it on EastEnders for example which is pretty ropey at the best of times.

Cheers Everyone
    KableMan

15. yaseen

yaseen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I must thank you all for being such an informed bunch, you have been most helpfull. I recently purchased SAGEM HD50 DLP TV and its brill. However, I do notice that when left on standby it tends to switch on by itself. Any ideas guys & gals?

Cheer