1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Projector Throw Ratio

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by C the big pic, Feb 27, 2005.

1. C the big pic

C the big pic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm looking for an affordable DLP projector with HD capability with a throw ratio of 2.24
    Can anyone help?

2. LCDRooles

LCDRooles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Big P, and welcome to the forums,

The definition of 'affordable' is ambigious to say the least, what one has at their disposable income may be very different to someone else. Good quality DLP is, and I am sure most would agree, a little heavier on the wallet than their LCD brothers. If you want good quality, you pays your money. Who would spend 25k on a pj for themselves when you can get a family car for that ? Well Jamie Oliver and Paul Merton would and I am sure get enormous enjoyment from their machines.

Try looking at it from a slightly different angle - What about 'value for money'. ? Now when I bought my projector, I compared it back to back against higher spec'd models and justified the purchase to myself because I was very very impressive yet I didn't think the models above warranted a 3k premium on the price of this one. Were they better - maybe, but my eyes were struggling to tell. But this one was as good as any I had seen, a lot better than those beneath is so it warranted a purchase in my book.

So I will leave with you with the details. Sim Domino30H, HDMI and HD ready, 1280x720, nothing to choose between it and its 300Xtra IMHO. Throw distance of 1.8 - 2.4.

I fully recommend this machine.

Regards,
    LCDRooles.

3. C the big pic

C the big pic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the "advice" LCDRools.
    Even 'value for money' is relative.
    However I was looking for throw RATIO figures. I suppose I can always move the pj position.

Regards

Cthebigpic

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    I assume you mean 1280 x 720 for HD capability? If not, quite a few XGA pjs will do a good job of showing HD stuff though obviously not as well as the 720 ones.

If it's HD2 you're after, and if the Sim2 is too expensive, the Optoma H77 will manage 2.15 IIRC, so you may only have to move the pj back a few inches. I think the Infocus 7205 is about 2.0, and the BenQ 7800 and Sharp Z2000 will fall a bit shorter still.

Try www.projectorcentral.com for their distance calculators for specific projectors if you cant find the details elsewhere.

Gary.

5. C the big pic

C the big pic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary - a very useful site.