DLP projector recommendations

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beta, Oct 20, 2002.

1. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Sony VPH-1251 CRT which has given me good service but is suffering some bad tube burn. Its going to cost $6000AU (I think about 2500 UK Pounds?) to get it re-tubed, for that I can get a DLP projector.

Does anyone recommend anything that will come close to the CRT? Primary use is DVD and off air TV, so 4x3 native is a must.

I see a few in the $5500AU to $6000AU bracket, notably the NEC LT240 looks good on paper but no one has one on display here yet.

I am projecting onto a 110 inch diagonal screen so I am after a 1024x768 to avoid lots of noticeable pixel structure. Brightness isn’t a huge issue as I am used to my CRT.

I am also a bit worried about short lamp life's!

So any input would be great, I am not in the biggest hurry but would like to buy before Christmas!

Also DLP seems to be the way to go, it doesnt drop pixels and has a higher contrast ratio, or so all the sales rep's tell me, I just want to be double sure I am doing the right thing before shelling out cash.

Thanks for your time

John - South Australia

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if your happy with CRT, and its just the cost then why not get another CRT?. I think in the UK a decent CRT can be had for £2500.

I think XGA DLP's in the UK start at around £3000, the 2x colour wheel dlps can cause a 'rainbow' effect which affects certain people.

3. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately here in australia there is plenty of older analog chassi sony and panny's but nothing decent in the 12xx or g series for a fair penny.

I looked at a G70 with decent tubes but that was going to cost me about $9000, I dont have that to spend.

Barco's are rare in my part of the woods, I have seen 2 units in the past few years.

Is there any DLP units you could recomend?

4. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi beta.I think the best thing for you is to try get a better price for the tubes.In the XGA dlp field the big news is of course the NEC HT1000 which i'll see in acouple of weeks but everybody says its great.IMO however,better stick with crt.

5. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jim!

can you suggest a good place? Here in AUstralia the only place that stocks these is Sony, and so far trying 2 places in the states and a place in the UK for importing to OZ is about the same price.

Not happy Jan

John