1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP projector purchase help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Apone, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi

A question for seasoned projector users and owners.

I intend to buy a projector for my living room. It would be positioned about 13 feet away from screen and screen size would have to be no more than 5 feet across including masking. As I do not have a dedicated HC room,would a projector with a high ansi lumens rating work better if the wallpaper in the room is a magnolia colour? Pictures would be viewed in said room with a little if any ambiant light.

The Runco vx series looks interesting , as does Marantz dlp and NEC dlp. Any thoughts or advise?

Regards

Mahmood

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    mahmood

You will have a problem finding a pj that will throw an image as small as 5ft across from 13ft throw. With that size image I would seriously consider a plasma instead. A bit smaller but perfectly OK for daytime and high light viewing.

But as I said I know of no pj that will throw an image that small from that distance. Good luck. Actually, maybe the Sony HS10 will. Check out the throw distances over at Projector Central using their calculator.

3. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

The NEC LT260K might do it. Here are its stats at 13'.

Distance to Screen: 13.0 ft.
    Calculated 4:3
    Image Size Diagonal Range: 81 - 101 in. ( 6.7 - 8.4 ft.)
    Height Range: 49 - 61 in. ( 4.0 - 5.0 ft.)
    Width Range: 65 - 81 in. ( 5.4 - 6.7 ft.)

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Sim2 Domino 20 will fit the bill.
    Throw ratio of 2.2 to 3 to 1 approx.

5. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thanks for the info gang.

I have had a look at the Runco web site and used their throw distance calculator for a vx series projector and it states that if the screen width is 60" then the minimum throw distance is 111"(9ft 3") and a maximum throw distance of 144"(12ft).

They also include a 5% keystone figure of 11.16" which I have no clue what it means..

I would want to have a 16:9 screen for the potential set up.

I like the style of plasma but not the picture quality and I saw a demo of a Runco vx1000c on a stewart screen (8ft) with a high def program while on trip to the USA and then once I picked my jaw off the floor I decided that a projector would be the next upgrade, DVD also looked very good.

My other worry is the room that the projector would go in. Am I right in assuming that the brightness of the screen from the projector increases as you decrease the size of it? What I am trying to say is that the picture from the pj would look brighter on a 5ft screen as opposed to an 8ft screen with the same pj in the same enviroment, and as I do not have a dark room it is better to have a brighter pj with a high ansi lumens rating?

Regards

Mahmood