1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Projector Lip Synch Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cbcox, Jan 6, 2003.

1. cbcox

cbcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently replaced an ageing Sharp LCD projector with a new Optoma H50, and whilst I'm delighted with the picture quality for both DVDs and games (Xbox, PS2), I have noticed some lip synch problems on some discs that were not present when I watched the films on my old projector.

Aside from a longer S-Video cable to the projector, nothing else has changed.

My system is:

Pioneer DV545 DVD Player
    Sony STR-DB1070 amp
    Sony Pascal 705 speakers

Any suggestions?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Many of the newer home cinema projectors now use high quality de-interlacing chips from Faroudja and Sage. You might have noticed logos like DCDi on products and literature.

Whilst these chips do a much better job of preventing jaggies and screen judder they also introduce a small time delay to the picture. The reason is because they store the video then read ahead to apply the correct processing algorithyms for 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown, motion compensation and the like.

Certain audio processor manufacturers have recognised the problem and now have a feature on their processors to delay the sound to compensate. [Note: this is a global audio delay with a much bigger adjustment range than your normal speaker set-up delays. There isn't enough delay in the normal speaker set-up menu to compensate.]

At the moment you'll find this feature on high end (read expensive) products like TAG, Meridian, Lexicon and some of the top-of-the-range Japanes integrate AV amps. It will filter down to more affordable products over time.

Regards