DLP Projector Lip Synch Problem

C

cbcox

I've recently replaced an ageing Sharp LCD projector with a new Optoma H50, and whilst I'm delighted with the picture quality for both DVDs and games (Xbox, PS2), I have noticed some lip synch problems on some discs that were not present when I watched the films on my old projector.

Aside from a longer S-Video cable to the projector, nothing else has changed.

My system is:

Pioneer DV545 DVD Player
Sony STR-DB1070 amp
Sony Pascal 705 speakers

Any suggestions?

Chris Frost

Many of the newer home cinema projectors now use high quality de-interlacing chips from Faroudja and Sage. You might have noticed logos like DCDi on products and literature.

Whilst these chips do a much better job of preventing jaggies and screen judder they also introduce a small time delay to the picture. The reason is because they store the video then read ahead to apply the correct processing algorithyms for 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown, motion compensation and the like.

Certain audio processor manufacturers have recognised the problem and now have a feature on their processors to delay the sound to compensate. [Note: this is a global audio delay with a much bigger adjustment range than your normal speaker set-up delays. There isn't enough delay in the normal speaker set-up menu to compensate.]

At the moment you'll find this feature on high end (read expensive) products like TAG, Meridian, Lexicon and some of the top-of-the-range Japanes integrate AV amps. It will filter down to more affordable products over time.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom