Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DLP Projector Lip Synch Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cbcox, Jan 6, 2003.

1. cbcox

cbcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently replaced an ageing Sharp LCD projector with a new Optoma H50, and whilst I'm delighted with the picture quality for both DVDs and games (Xbox, PS2), I have noticed some lip synch problems on some discs that were not present when I watched the films on my old projector.

Aside from a longer S-Video cable to the projector, nothing else has changed.

My system is:

Pioneer DV545 DVD Player
    Sony STR-DB1070 amp
    Sony Pascal 705 speakers

Any suggestions?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Many of the newer home cinema projectors now use high quality de-interlacing chips from Faroudja and Sage. You might have noticed logos like DCDi on products and literature.

Whilst these chips do a much better job of preventing jaggies and screen judder they also introduce a small time delay to the picture. The reason is because they store the video then read ahead to apply the correct processing algorithyms for 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown, motion compensation and the like.

Certain audio processor manufacturers have recognised the problem and now have a feature on their processors to delay the sound to compensate. [Note: this is a global audio delay with a much bigger adjustment range than your normal speaker set-up delays. There isn't enough delay in the normal speaker set-up menu to compensate.]

At the moment you'll find this feature on high end (read expensive) products like TAG, Meridian, Lexicon and some of the top-of-the-range Japanes integrate AV amps. It will filter down to more affordable products over time.

Regards