Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DLP Projector In Very Small Room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SBanga, Apr 23, 2005.

1. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm in the process of redesigning my bedroom and I want some genuinely enjoyable pictures to watch. I have around £500 which would buy me around 20 inches of LCD flatscreen from ebay but I'm also intruiged with the possibility of mounting a projector. I'd obviously only want about a 40-50 inch viewing area but would this be feasible in a room 3m x 3m? Is there a projector I can buy off ebay that will have a short enough throw for around this price? Also, would any picture flaws be very noticable with me sitting so close to the screen?
    Am I being stupid????

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I wouldn't buy a PJ off ebay unless you really know what you are doing.

The Toshiba ET1 can be bought for less than £400 new.

To get a screen the size you are talking about in the sort of room you are talking about is very feasible. The only complication with the Tosh is that it doesn't have optical zoom hence you adjust the pic either using the digital zoom (but that degrades the PQ) or by positioning the PJ closer/further away to the projection surface.

You need a flat, preferably white, surface to project onto.

PJ's don't work well in well lit conditions, the darker the better...PJ :)

3. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi - I have just taken the plunge with one of the Toshiba ET1 projectors and the final costs were:-

Projector £365
    Slimline 5ft Screen (from drhscreens) £105 - you can get a cheaper model for about £70 I think.
    Universal ceiling mount from Ebay £28
    10m component and svideo cables from tvcables.co.uk £20

Final cost if you went with cheaper screen £483. The screen will give you a 166cm image and for what the projector costs the final result is excellent. As PJTX100 stated the limitations of this projector are that you must be very flexible in the positioning which is why I went the ceiling route but if it helps my projector lens is 161cm from the screen which fills it perfectly with no need of any digital adjustments. As your room is 300cms in length and width this could well be an option for you and will give you a huge decent quality image at an excellent price. The room does have to be fairly dark for it to be watchable tho so daytime TV unless you can black out the windows will be a no no.

Hope this helps.

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've seen the ScreenPlay SP4800 & the Sharp Notevision XR-1S on ebay, both for £600. Would these be a good purchase or should I look to spend a little more? I am aware of having to have the room dark, but this would not be a problem in a bedroom as I am not restricted as I would be in a living room.
    Also, I am thinkin of just painting my wall with ProjectX Projector Screen Paint instead of using a screen as this would ensure absolute flatness. Good or bad idea??
    In regards to distance of projector to screen, this will be ceiling mounted at approx 2 metres. Does this all sound feasible or should I just stick with the small flastscreen?
    Thanks in advance for your input

5. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Sunil,
    I am in the same boat like you (with a bit higher budget). I was about to buy a 42" plasma, but now I decided to go with a projector.

Why just 40"-50" viewing area? You can get much more with a projector. If you are going to view it from 3 meters away then according to THX the ideal would be to have a 90" diagonal screen for 16:9. Here is a calculator for that:
    http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Also you have to check if the projector you are interested in can show the size of picture you want from such a small distance.

Here are two calculators with many projectors that will help you find the ideal one:

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectorscreensizecalculator.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

FRom a quick research I had, a projector within your budget that can show large picture from short distance is the Epson TW10H. (but I don't know if its good or not)

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Mainly aimed at the portable presentation market. Probably a nice machine, short throw, bright images.

It's not native 16:9 though, and it won't have the sort of A/V connectivity that a dedicated home cinema jobbie will have. So check before you buy...PJ