1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP projector alongside a plasma screen - what will be my first reaction?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alanfcross, Feb 8, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New around here, and only just getting fired up to the HC idea, so forgive an innocent question! I'm having difficulty finding a local demo room (Wokingham, Berks) to show me DLP alongside a plasma screen in sensible viewing conditions (to me that means subdued lighting but not cinema blackout). Also, to be fair, they would have to have similar resolution capabilities.
    Can those who have seen these side by side tell me what my first reaction is likely to be, apart from size? Will the projector look a lot dimmer and softer, or are they on a par? If I were to wind down the pj to a 42" diagonal, would they be indistiguishable? What would be the biggest difference visually?
    I might be able to see what I want at Bristol (if I make it), but would like to hear some views on this very useful forum. T I A.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I would think the projector would look much better. Put some sport on like football and you'll see a big difference between the plasma and projector.

A projector for the same price as a plasma will be much better although a plasma is alot less hassle as it is more like a TV in that you turn on and go with no need to dim lights/close curtins ect...
    Remeber to add the cost of a screen to your total, although you could just use a large black out blind.

I have yet to see a plasma that can match a equaly priced/cheaper projector, but i might not have seen one set up properly.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Check out

www.nexnix.co.uk

May be a reasonable drive for you. A top company, forum sponsors who many of us have had excellent service from.

The image will not be as sharp as a plasma but in my opinion a decent size projected image is hard to beat.

Cap :)

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The projector will lack the contrast and initial impact of the plasma if there is ambient lighting in the demo room, but as soon as the lights are turned out, the projector will look like a 120 inch Plasma....Of course such a plasma does not exist and if it did it would cost tens of thousands of pounds so the projector does start to look like excellent value. The beauty of a projector is that you can adjust the image size to suit your taste. Maybe start off with a 60 inch image and then when you think that's too small ( you will !) you can adjust the zoom and have an 80 inch image. I don't think you'll find it so easy to make your plasma image bigger when you've gotten used to a paltry 42 inches !!!
    In home cinema, you want to recreate the experience of a real cinema in both sound and picture. A projector is really the only way to get close to that experience. Infocus, Optoma, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo and many others all make superb projectors which will better all but the most expensive plasmas and cost no more than £2000.

The only downside is that darkness is really important if you want the best image possible from a projector.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    In the same room at the same time, the plasma will probably look a lot brighter and initial more pleasing because of it. That's the first impression I got from a 104" wide projected image and a 42" plasma. Reduce the projected image size down and the brightness goes up - half the sixe equals 4 times the brightness, and the brightness you get will depend on the lumens of the pj - reduce the advertised figure by around 40% and that'll be more accurate. Without the brighter plasma as a comparison, the choice is easier to make with respect to the projector IMHO.

As Oakly says, you will need total light control to get the best out of the pj, whereas a plasma can be viewed with some ambient light around, much like a tv.

Lamps for proejectors can be quite expensive, and get dimmer with age, so if you're thinking of using it as a tv. I'd advise against it. Have a normal tv for Coronation St etc, and the Projector for movies. That way you appreciate the image size in the same way you do when you go to the cinama.

Unfortunaltely, the only way to know for sure is to get some demos. If you do go down to Nexnix, try to visit RTFM (Jeff). He has plasmas as well as Sim2 prjectors on demo in a fully light controled room.

Gary.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    alanfcross

As others have said your wasting your time if your not up for blackout or near blackout with a projector - they are not ideal as a direct replacement for a TV.

The next time your at the Cinema keep watching the credits when the house lights go up or the doors into the auditorium are opened - a small amount of light will 'kill' the image.

A DLP and a Plasma are never going to be indistinguishable - they both have a 'look' ; its hard enough getting two Brands of Plasma or Projector to be indistinguishable.

I doubt any exhibitor at the Bristol show will be planning on using a projector with a 42" diagonal 16:9 screen - projection is about going large; especially so at exhibitions.

With such a small projected image you'll have to factor in where your projector is going to live - table top mounted six feet in front of the screen will not be practical for many. And a lot of projectors wont go below a 50" diagonal.

Best regards

Joe