1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Problems, solutions and workrounds

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by St_ve, Mar 24, 2005.

1. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DLP sets can have great picture quality but i don't think any sets released so far are totaly problem free.
    I'm starting this thread so everyone can find out about problems that affect all makes of DLP sets & all the faults that are specific to the Optoma RD50.

I don't intend to just post about problems but also about anything that solves or helps reduce them

I welcome anybody with different makes of set's to post about any problems they have & anything that help's minimise or solve those problems.I will collate the information into the relevent section at the beginning of this thread
    Anybody who has lived with a set is far better qualified to make statements about it than me looking at a set for 30 minutes in Comet's. I may make suggestions about posts if any occur to me.

Disclaimer
    This is just an indexed compilation of others' views and/or experiences - not independently verified, and not necessarily my views.
    Posts may be deleted by the Mods after they have served their purpose & the information has been integrated into the correct section,

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General DLP problems

Haloing / Banding
    AIUI the image is made up of 255 brightness levels & if you have a smooth block of colour you can get banding.It is more noticible in darker scenes.
    if you have a bright or more detailed object in the centre of the screen surounded by a block of colour for example dark blue, if the dark blue only had 5 levels of brightness (scale of 0 to 255) you would see 5 bands of slightly diferent shades of colour surrouding the object in the centre & would be called haloing but is the same as banding.Contour lines on a map look the same .

Rainbows
    Only seen out the corner of your eye, usually seen when you look away from the set when a dark scene is showing. Not really a problem for the majority
    Some people see them a lot & may find it very annoying.
    You may find watching in the dark makes it worse.

Here is a link to a site with a simulated Rainbow they show a horizontal one which you would see if you glance up or down. The ones i've seen so far are vertical when you look quickly away from the set to the side.
    Simulated Rainbow

Attached Files:

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Optoma Themescene RD50
    Haloing /Banding

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1528343&postcount=10

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1528076&postcount=4
    I have heard that the RD65 has a picture allmost as good as the RD50 unfortunately this cannot be confirmed as there is only one owner of the RD65 in the country:devil: I find i do not need powerstrip with the RD50
    Another possible solution is to use an Xbox to play region one DVDs my son came up to stay with us for a couple of days & bought his modded Xbox with him, i had to put in a cd with a program called DVD region switcher first i then loaded in Gladiator :r1: & it played fine no judder's .The DVD playback quality is better than my old DVD player but not as good as a PC connected to the VGA input.The Xbox connects with a scart. I tried a game top spin at 60 hrz and it was terrrible an extreme case of :r1: judder much worse than i've seen before.Setting the Xbox to Pal 50 it plays fine.
    So a region one DVD is more prone to judder than a Pal one to begin with.

The picture of judder is from Gladiator :r1: it is not as bad as this as some camera shake might be making it worse camera speed was 1/8 & the camera has captured several frames. With a :r2: DVD or :r1: DVD with a PC the text is rock solid.

Links to information on judder
    http://hd24.com/dont_shudder_at_the_judder.htm
    3:2 pulldown
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21363.html
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
    I think the set is designed so some sources can wake it up have heard of another make? or was it the RD50? does the same with sky boxes.
    Have had my set come on a couple of times when my PC or Telewest Box has been left on .I make sure everything is switched of apart fron the RD50 when i'm finished with it at night. :thumbsup:Links to other Optoma RD50 threads

Attached Files:

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lg

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem HD 50

The Main problem with the Sagem HD 50 is the lack of a HDCP enabled DVI input this may stop owner's being able to recieve the high definition TV service from Sky when it commences in 2006.

There is the possibility that this will be fixed . The similar American version of the RD50 with a HD2 DMD did not have HDCP on the DVI input however an upgrade to a HDCP DVI has been provided at cost to the owners.
    Sagems Response to a customer about the lack of HDCP
    If no fix is provided by Sagem & the Sky hidef box when it arrives does not have a component or VGA out Sagem HD50 owners will need some way of getting the hidef signal by means of a converter box.
    Here is a link to one
    Link provided by Razor: HDCP DVI to VGA converter box
    It is a slightly degraded signal compared to DVI to DVI , i wouldn't rush out to buy one just yet as you might not need it at all & if you do it will be cheaper & there will be more choice by 2006 :thumbsup:

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SagemHD-D45
    I do not want to post information about the Sagem HD-45 here that only affects one set or a small proportion of set's .

The DVI problem AVnut79 had is looking like a fault either on his Pioneer DV868 or his Sagem 45 & not a general fault with the Sagem 45
    The high pitched whistle might be to do with the colour wheel & could be related to the shaky out of focus moving images ?

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung 46L3HX & 50 HD3 DLP mirror array sets
    Any other Sammy 46 owners get picture bending with HDMI input. Any solutions or is it time to call Samsung?

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung 50 L7
    Several members have reported smudges on the screen that appear when the TV is turned on, they are most noticible in the lighter/ white areas of the screen. The smudges seem to disapear when the TV is fully warmed up.
    You can wipe the screen down to clear the screen as well .
    USA Samsung support site
    Samsungs UK support site

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 46 & 52 sets
    The second link is to a thread with a poll on blur & the majority do seem to see it some more than others
    Are there any settings on the Tosh that make it worse or better ?
    Is it worse on different inputs ie: Scart VGA or HDMI ?
    Is it down to faults or poor setup in the Toshiba factory ?
    Has anybody had a replacement set that cured the problem?

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,

What about playing console games @ 60Hz ? ie can it be done?

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Yeah I play xbox games on the RD65 but I have switched the setting to output 50hz from the xbox dashboard and I have no problems at all. Someone told me that setting at 50Hz can effect your online play if the other people have theirs set at 60hz. I play online more than single player and I always host games as I have a 3.0meg connection. I have never had any complaints. But I can see how therotically it would effect game play (50Hz is a bit slower).

I play pc games on the RD65 without powerstrip as it can induce a few errors on games (command and conquer genrals zero hour is one). But I dont notice any juddering, probably becuse Im to busy shooting something or racing. You never really look at a game and coment on how smooth the camera movement was or scrolling. Everythging move so quick I normally havent got time to analyse the pic.

I do some times notice a bit of tearing but vsync on my card should sort that out, never tried to correct as it isnt much of an issue.

The picture from a PC/HTPC via DVI is very impressive and is my prefered choice for browsing the web and general use. When i bought the RD65 having a pc connected to it was never really a consideration, untill I was forced too, to correct the NTSC judder. Now I am in the process of specing a permanant HTPC for my RD65.

13. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

I have a RD50 and have noticed when using other remotes it interferes with the RD50.
    For example i have one of those remote controlled electric heaters and when i turn it off, the "tv" setting comes on the tv or when i turn it up "vivid" is displayed.Also i connected my daughters DVD player to the tv (as it has karaoke)and when i used her DVD remote the TV turned over.
    (Glad i have the excellent Panny S97).
    Anyone else notice this infrared problem?

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Make sure the RD65 will work over here, it should be fine but check first. Also the box is huge, the screen it self is 5 foot wide and weighs around 16 stone. I would recomend a Luton van as the unit is very high. A high roof long wheel base transit might do, make sure it has the high/tall doors.

When i bought my last set a 46' philip rear pro I hired a van to collect because I couldnt wait 4 days for them to deliver. I arrived at the warehouse in east london and the TV set out of the case was 10cm too high to get in the van. So I had to ditch that van and hire another larger van. Didnt get back home untill 7pm got there at 1pm. A good lesson learnt.

15. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm that RD65 sold in France is exactly model as UK one ie same tuners.

This is one area where most manufacturers seem to have got there act together in producing standardised TVs for Europe.

Easiest way to check if a television will work in UK is see if it plays PAL I.

Even looking at sets in US which have tuners etc which are truly global which is really a cool idea.

16. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean Samsung 46.

On my 46L3HX had really bad problems with the factory installed FDB colour wheel in that a) I could see loads of rainbows and b) it whined badly.

Now replaced with an Air Bearing type and for now rainbows seem to also have been reduced.

The Other annoying problem is the picture bending at the top. When connecting an HTPC via DVI to HDMI cable you can see it BIGTIME and frankly I think its very poor.

17. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Does the HDMI thing apply to all units or was your screen faulty. This surely means SKYHD will not work either which is one of the reasons for buying one of these sets. I recently had a look at on in comet and noticed a loud buzz coming from the back of it, although it could be down to it being on all day.

18. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dabs i haven't put this into Optoma problem section as i'd guess other set's will be prone to this as well & also it's probably only a minor nuisance :)

Regarding the stickys are the mods allowed to vote more than once :rolleyes:

19. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36

I think it may have been an incompatibillity issue between my DVD player (Pioneer DV868) & the tv. I guess I'll never know now. I am hoping that Sagem will re-launch the tv in the future with all the minor problems sorted out, if they do, I'll certainly consider buying one (again).

AVnut70

20. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AVnut70, I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your HD-D45. Your comments imply to me that you think that all HD-D45's have these problems (apologies if this is an incorrect interpretation of your post). I just wanted to let you know that I have had my HD-D45 for 3 weeks now and I haven't seen any of the above problems.

I have connected a Samsung HD-DVD945 DVD player to the TV via the HDMI to DVI cable supplied with the DVD player and everything worked perfectly from day one. I watch DVD's in 720p and I am very happy with the picture quality. I watched "Hero" this afternoon and I saw no problems with blurring or stuttering on any of the fast action fight scenes in this movie. Neither have I had any problems with any other DVDs. I have also not yet seen any 'rainbows' and skin tones look ok to me, although I am still trying to find the ideal settings for brightness/contrast/colour. If solarisation is what I think it is I haven't see any and I only see the 'frostiness' on the screen in very bright scenes - most of the time it doesn't bother me but if it does I just tell myself that it's better than a reflection.

Regarding the whistle, yes it is there but I certainly cannot hear it above the TV volume, even when the volume is low, and I assure you I have no problems with my hearing!

I also have a Pace Sky box and an old Pioneer On-digital box connected via RGB Scart (Profigold and Thor cables) and, again, I am very happy with the picture quality, although it does vary quite a bit depending on the source channel. The internal analogue tuners are pretty poor to be honest - constant dimming and brightening and sometimes a lot of fuzziness on some channels (although this may be to do with the strength of that channel in my area), but I rarely use these myself so this doesn't bother me too much.

One of the things I really like about this TV is it's PIP/PAP capabilities. I make extensive use of this feature and the HD-D45 is one of very few TVs that can combine any input with any input for PIP/PAP - a lot of DLPs or Plasmas have restrictions on the inputs that can be combined for PIP/PAP.

Anyway, it's a shame that things didn't work out for you with the HD-D45. I think that you must have had a faulty model but I'm not suprised that you didn't ask for a replacement after some of the comments I have seen on this forum. Don't get me wrong - I can understand the comments from the three or four people who have owned the TV and have had problems with it. But I am struggling to understand the vitriolic comments that have been posted by a few people who have 'demoed' the set in Comet (of all places), or who have just jumped on the anti HD-D45 bandwagon based on negative comments from others. And don't even get me started on that 'gerbil' character, who I think must have set the forum record for the quickest new poster to be banned...

Good luck with your next TV anyway. Hopefully my HD-D45 won't go the same way as yours in the coming weeks!

21. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't add this as it is very likely to be a poor arial and/or poor reception

22. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi AV,

Is this just your set - ie a fault?

The reason I ask is that I have a setup whereby I run a HDMI lead from my DVD player (Denon 2910) to the DVI connection on the HD45 and all is fine.

I also don't have the high-pitched whistle you mention. I am also wondering is that is connected in some way to the 'shaky' effect you see - I think ST VE mentioned this also in a previous post ...

Cheers,
    Daz

23. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gaffer,

I have had my HD45 for about a month now and like you, I haven't had any of the problems that some folk have posted here.

I also replied to AVNut on his HDMI/DVI issue - I have that setup and it works perfectly. I have noticed the odd rainbow and some of the source transmissions can be variable but overall, I am v.pleased with this set.

[One of the things I really like about this TV is it's PIP/PAP capabilities. I make extensive use of this feature and the HD-D45 is one of very few TVs that can combine any input with any input for PIP/PAP - a lot of DLPs or Plasmas have restrictions on the inputs that can be combined for PIP/PAP.]

I haven't used this yet .. gonna try it out after my Sky+ is installed on Friday :)

[And don't even get me started on that 'gerbil' character, who I think must have set the forum record for the quickest new poster to be banned...]

LOL .. I think he clocked in and out in 5:07 :)

Cheers,
    Daz

24. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, Just thought i would add my comments.

I purchased a Sagem HD-D45 about 4 weeks ago now and I have had a few problems with it as mentioned by others, however the supplier has now changed the set (twice!!). I finally have a set that gives me a great picture (even on Sky+) great features such as PIP/PAP is HD ready and looks fantastic sat in the lounge. I do believe that several sets were sent out by Sagem with faults but they have now been fixed on the most part. I do get some solorisation when viewing skin tones but it is barely noticable and not a distraction at all. Overall I am VERY happy with the set now and am looking forward to many hours of big screen viewing.

25. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Mr Gaffer,

I didn't intend to sound like my post was slating all HD-D45's, I am just rather frustrated at the whole experience having saved for months & researched the model since it was first announced in an effort to make sure I was buying the right set.

I think that the set has the potential to be superb and is without doubt the best looking set (from an asthetic point of view) available. I just think that if you are spending £2000 on a tv, it should be pretty much perfect which this particular model is far from. I am surprised that more people haven't noticed the 'Shaky effects' when viewing fast action scenes. Try watching the fight scenes in 'Return of the king' for instance, It may have been my particular set but in some parts I couldn't even focus properly due to all the breakup. I will keep an eye on Sagem's website in the hope that they will sort the problems and 're-release' it in the near future before I spend the money on something silly like another car :)
    ANnut70

26. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Daz, out of interest, are you using a HDMI to DVI lead or a HDMI to HDMI with an adapter? I am wondering if my Pioneer DVD player just doesn't want to work with the Sagem. Perhaps I'll invest in a Denon 3910 as am hoping to buy the Sagem again if I can see one with a perfect (i'sh) picture.

27. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the Tosh 46mw48 any good I want to buy it does anyone know?

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment nobody has posted about Toshiba problems in this thread, it's only been going 6 days so you'll have to look at some of the many threads on the Toshiba 46 for information

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  30. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem on the 50" Samsung today via HDMI, the image breaking up in the middle of the screen during the fight scenes, saw it happen on the HD-45 when I tested it too. Not sure if its my laptop or the sets thats causing the problem.