1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP - PAL or NTSC?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by LlOyDiE2, Mar 6, 2005.

1. LlOyDiE2

LlOyDiE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! ( I posted a similar thread on the HDTV section but this one seems more appropriate ) I am new to the tv world - all i know is that hdtv looks so much better than standard tv

I have been looking up information about DLP televisions on American based websites (As i will be visiting there soon). I found them to be very cheap compared to UK, so i had myself set to buy a Samsung 43" for $1,249 ( ~ +/- £800 ) as it was very light therefore i could probably get it on the plane for a small charge due to the fact its only 11" or so above the length limit (as stupid as my idea sounds). I love my consoles - xbox & ps2 and since next generation consoles are all set for high def compatibility, i figured i must get one for this price while im in the States!!! Then a few days ago i remembered - my damn PAL console didnt work on a NTSC tv.. ( i have no clue about tvs but my guess its because pal is 50hz and ntsc is 60hz ) My main question, is, is this resolved in hdtv or would i need to buy a hdtv in the UK to play my PAL games? I would appreciate any help and if anyone could school me on these areas to hdtv as stupid as my problem is.

2. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi

Well If you have an xbox, you can convert that to NTSC hi-def (with a bit of fiddly work)

The bigger problem would be watching PAL tv and of course the total lack of scarts on american sets....

Plus the 200$ postage

the Hideous customs charge

The VAT on top of the customs charge AND the postage

Plus the difficulty in servicing and warranty...

Oh, and a step down covertor!!!!

Welcome to Rip-off britain! :cool:

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pal or NTSC are frame rates, the number of images per second.
    SD/HD is the resolution of the image, the number of scanning lines per image.

If you buy a model here many can recieve PAL+NTSC. If you buy a US model make sure it can recieve both.

What about the voltage?

4. LlOyDiE2

LlOyDiE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the responses - i dont understand what you mean by switching to hi def ntsc on my xbox :confused:

I guess scart leads will be a problem - but sky hd wont use scarts will it? i can live with sky and normal tv on my old tv for a while

here is the model i plan on buying atm http://www.sevenefour.com/sadlptvdnhl4.html

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Your asking for trouble if you buy a tv from the US with intent of it working over here. Consider this we use 240 volts U.S. dont you will need a step down convertor etc. Its not worth the hasel. In a nut shell a bad idea as pointed out by mitor.

6. LlOyDiE2

LlOyDiE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i already have a step-down converter which my cousin bought when visiting the uk - my real worry is the pal against ntsc issue and customs ;)

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I doubt it would be PAL compatible. Not many US products are. IMHO your asking for trouble.

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it an HD3 or HD2+ ?

9. LlOyDiE2

LlOyDiE2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea mate. HLN4365W is the model, you can look up. I guess i will need to save more up for a pansy english dlp then :( i hope i have enough money by the time xbox 2 is out with hd compatability ;) thanks people

10. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Rightio....

It's a HD3 model as far as I'm aware. The 46" version is available for 1700GBP from currys if you want to see it. (seems to suffer from poor screen reflections IMHO)

Overall good picture quality though.

Your Xbox (if that's your console of choice) can be NTSC hi-def enabled (soft modded) using certain games (original splinter cell for example) + slightly modified controller and a memory card, see http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489

for details, this does invalidate warranty but you can still use xbox live. It also means that your xbox will output progessive scan, and some games...

Soul caliber 2, tony hawks 4 and amped 2 for example will work in full 720p hi-def.

As regards customs.... well, don't say we didn't warn you! :D You will probably get slapped for so much tax... (you pay customs on the item AND postage and VAT on the customs and postage and item!) That you'll wish you'd never bothered!

Sorry to give bad news, I also would love to buy one of the lovely samsung thin frame DLP's from America, but the Maths don't add up