1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Optoma/Samsung demo locations in the Midlands?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gregory, May 18, 2005.

1. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

The time has come to re-buy a DLP re-pro (had a Sagem which was great apart from the failures that ended with a refund). I'd like to demo several at the same time to see which we like most rather than buy blind. So, does anyone know of any good dealers etc. to demo at nearish the Midlands? (East Midlands even better).

Needs to have an Optoma RD65 (love the screen size, quite nice cabinet, don't have many R1 DVD's) and the Samsung 50" (still a good screen size, really like the design - would go with the rest of the room, don't have any AV stuff to site with it anyway, so not worried about where to put it). Also, they need to not be set to some daft 'in store' too-bright etc. mode.

(DLP vs. plasma PQ query moved to a different thread to avoid confusion)

Cheers

Greg

2. kurt_ego

kurt_ego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your local currys will demo both the Samsung sp50l7hx or sagem hd-d45, i have visited in particular currys @ the merry hill center dudley and their hd-45 demo was brilliant howevr the samsung feed was of low quality do not so good.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Gregg :hiya:

If your not worried about the 60hz issue I'd go for the RD65. I have one :clap:

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Strangely, as a relatively frequent visitor to these fora, I have noticed that you have an RD65 ;) ... and I'l take the comment to be a straight recommendation for the set, rather than I should go for one so that you aren't one of the only ones!

If the set design was the same it would be easy, but we do like the Samsung pedestal design

I was really after both well set up so I could do a relative comparison - and am after the Optoma RD65 not the Sagem 45 (which I have seen & don't like the screen - also a bit smaller than we were after) - so currys not likely to rank in my list of preferred demo places! Thanks for the thought though.

Cheers

Greg

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Gregg

When I first discovered the 60hz judder I hated the set as the PAL pictures were flawless and the 60hz pic wasnt. :(

Since then I have come across a workaround and am over the moon with my RD65. The diffrence between a 50' set and a 65' set is huge. I still have a 46' philips rear pro and the cinematic effect between the two screen sizes has put a permant smile on my face. :D (roughly twice the surface area)

The samsung is a nice looking set but so is the RD65, the whole unit is finished in paino black. It looks expensive and not cheap at all. For me its all about screen size and picture quality, the RD65 has both. :) If you have read some of my posts you will see that I always recomend the samsung 50 as the best 50' DLP set, it all depends if you want a large screen or not.

I have previously posted a few pics of the RD65, link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178593&page=23&pp=15

:D

6. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Brings me back, then, to the point of the thread - where can I look at one that is well set up - ideally back-back with the Samsung (well, side to side maybe) (somewhere near the east midlands preferably)?

Greg

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Good luck greg, not many places stock yet alone demo these sets. I would contact Optoma and ask them for some stockists near your area. Contact these people by phone to see if they have a samsung 50' in stock as well.

:D Still grining

8. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good plan. I'll post reply to help future lost souls

G