1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Newbe

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ragnarok, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    it's a sad day when you know your favroite Tv is starting to die. So i'm Looking for a New one.

Got drawn towards DLP mainly because they have the best support for 720P at the mo. it's still a shame that a TV with native 1080i support is still virtualy non existant here in the UK. 1080i looks like it'll be the best for films(due to 24fps or spead upto 25fps) but most Tv's current V's will lose ya 600-700 horisontal pixels.

From looking around Rainbows may be a problem for some ( and quite posably fixable with the right chipset) aprart from that their great.

2 thinks that bother me.

1. the Lamps, how long do they last? how much are replacements?

2. Noise, with a spinning wheel and a fan to cool the lamp how much noise do they make. (i get the feeling i'll perfer them to the high pitched scream that i can still hear from CRT's)

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    1. Dpends on model. Some say lamp lasts 8 - 10k hours and some are saying 20k plus . i would go with the 8 10k hours in my opionion.

2. i cannot hear my fan on my samsung sp50 unless i go behind tv and put my ear near it,

3. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Samsung SP46L6 and the lamp life quoted by Samsung is 8,000+ hours. Cost to replace is around £250.

In terms of noise the set is 99.9% silent. My DVD player makes more noise. You would hear a pin drop before you heard the fan.

Rainbows = Problem for some (thankfully not me). Of the few friends that have seen the set so far one suffered from rainbows instantly. Therefore, make absolutely certain that yourself and any other primary viewers are immune before committing.

4. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Thats the key, get a few demo's of DLP's first and see if rainbows are a problem.

Glad to gear their very near silent, if a DVD player is easily louder then thats good enough for me. I hate the ringing in my ear's sound from CRT's, apparently the cause of my headaches.

Hope rainbows arn't a problem else i'll be waiting a long time as i hate Plasma's and LCD don't really cut it ether. On the Up side i've managed to fix me CRT, it warms up properly now, now 10 years old an still does a great job. so i do have the option of waiting for new models.