1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Impressions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ReTrO, Feb 5, 2002.

1. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Been out looking at DLP projectors today. Three by Runco and Sim2, but two in particular the Runco DR300c and the Sm2 HT300.The other was the Runco VX1000c.

The Runco's were being used on a Stewart microperf screen with 1.8 gain 7ft, the Sim2 was on an 8ft Stewart screen, I think it was a studiotek 130, both were 16:9 ratio.

I saw the Runco's first, not terribly impressive considering their prices, the £13,000 DR300c (including scaler) was nice to look at, bing small and silver and black finish, but suffered from rainbowing and screen door as it was using a 1024x768 4:3 DMD on the widescreen.

Only saw a quick glimpse of the £17,000 VX1000c, but it showed only very minor rainbow. The scaler seemed to perform well in both cases, though the colour was a bit off.

The £9,000 Sim2 HT300 was much better, no rainbow or screen door effect, and the colours were much more accurate. The only thing it had a problem with was the internal processing which fialed to properly process the red country copyright warning at the start of my Futurama 'test' disc. This could be remedied by adding a Quadscan HD, Vigatech 1280 or similar. It perfromed mcuh better than the Runco 300 despite the large price gap, and was on a par with the much more expensive Runco 1000.

The Runco was viewed at Zebra and the Sim2 at Prestige, though we will be also adding a HT 300 to our demo stock.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The Runco's are interesting. they look like Plus units with the addition of PFP series Runco scalers. These scalers have gamma colour charts designed for the projector they are mated with. The only particularily clever thing I see with the 300's is that they are available with anamorphic lens attachments....Won't help rainbow but will help resolution.

The mis-processing of country warning thing could actually have been the chroma bug. What DVD was the source. If it was Prestige I'd have though it TAG, but this doesn't have chroma bug....so what was it?

Gordon

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The DVD player used was the Onkyo Integra player feeding interlaced component video. The symptoms were that the red writing had green coming out in patches.

The Runco's were being run off various Pioneer DV 737's through interlaced component video also.