DLP image sharpness

M

Marcel99

Have just bought my first projector. Had tried a few LCD ones, but didn't like the lattice effect, so bought a DLP one.

Only problem is it isn't as sharp as I expected. I've thought about getting a ProV, but they don't seem to get good press. Any ideas on another descaler? I'm using the digital out from my DVD to my surround amp and from there digital out to projector.

Any reference DVD's anyone could suggest? I'm noticing a lot of difference in quality between DVD's! Never noticed before when looking through the TV.

Cheers
Marcel

Which projector is it?
The lattice ( screendoor/chicken wire ) effect of lcd's does artificially make the image seen sharper in my experience.

The Projector is a Sharp PGM10X. I'm not expecting Barco quality, but fuzzy, stepped edges is what would best escribe my images. More noticeable on something like Toy Story than LOTR.

Didn't mention in my previous post that I'm using a Projecta 6ftX6ft screen with 1.0 gain.

Most non dedicated HC pjs have poor built in scalers, so that is probably why you're getting a stair stepped and soft image, especialy if you're using composite as Gordon suggested.

Some people use a computer with a Radeon card and use the pj as a monitor, so you can get pixel perfect mapping of the DLP array, and the computer does all the scaling/deinterlacing for you.

It's the best image source for many pjs, so if you don't mind tweaking software, it's definately the way to go.

The Pro V looks like a reasonable device that will line double for you, so could be worth considering, but devices like the Iscan Pro will do a similar job, only better.

If you can connect your pc to the pj and play a dvd through it (depending on your hardware), you should get a good idea of what it's capable of.

Try running R1 DVds at 72z and R2 at 75hz and you should get a smooth image with no stuttering. WinDVD or PowerDVD will be good enough to get you started.

HTH

Gary.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quite keen to try the HCPc route, as I have most of the hardware,and DVD drives are very cheap. What is the maximum length the cabel between PC and PJ can be?

My PC is in another room, and I don't want to move it because it's connected to broadband etc and I don't want my home PC in the lounge. Once I see how well it works I'll build up a dedicated PC.

My vga cable is about 25ft long, and the company I got it from guarentee their cables for no signal loss up to 200 feet IIRC.

I'll dig out the address if you like.

HTH

Gary.

That address would be very welcome. I don't have a DVD player in my PC, but have a P4 with an ATI Radeon LE card. Have just linked the PJ upto it, looked at spreadsheets, digital photos and mpegs over Realplayer. Looks absolutely fantastic!

At least I'm now convinced it's not the PJ, as the PC stuff is very sharp. Off to buy the DVD drive and software tomorrow!

Thanks again for the help.
:D

Linday do good quality cables by all accounts, but I got mine from here

HTH

Gary.

PS - the Liteon 163 or 165 are pretty good DVD drives that can be made region free and are quiet in operation. Quite cheap too. :)

Bought a DVD ROM drive today, installed it with PowerDVD, and hey presto, sharp images! And thats onto a yellow wall in my dining room - got to get that long cable now.

Problem solved, thanks guys - surprised not everyone with a PJ is going HCPC with these results.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom