1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Halo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ijwoo1, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a SIM HT200 which I have to say I am pretty impressed with but I'm watching far more on the big screen than I ever thought I would, so I am now thinking about an upgrade.

So here are the things I'd like to improve upon in order of priority:

1) Light spill around projected image (Halo ?)
    2) Image brightness or do I mean contrast ? ( A little on the dim side at the moment)
    3) A quieter projector.
    4) I only occasionally see rainbows so not really an issue.

CRT is out of the question. I feed the projector with a progressive scan signal and virtually all material is 16:9 and I project on to a 7ft Owl matt screen, gain 1.1 I think . Viewing is always in a totally blacked out room.

So here are my questions:

Q1) Would light spill be less of an issue if I opted for a 16:9 projector ?
    Q2) Do all DLPs inherently suffer with light spill/halo ?
    Q3) Would the Sim HT200DMF or the HT300 give me any of the improvements I'm looking for ? The cost of the HT300 frightens me !

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The 16:9 chipsets do not suffer from Halo so that would be off your list. They also have superior contrast so you'd get more punch to image giving you impression of increased brightness.

Your room may be light controlled but if the walls and ceiling are not dark you will no tbe getting the best out of your projector so consider darker matt walls and an off white or dark matte ceiling as well.

The HT200DMF stil has halo as it uses a 848 x600 chipset not a 1280 x 720 one. They both have as much noise as an H200 I htink ad most of that is the colour wheel rather than the fan.

The 16:9 chipped DLP's are the ones to look for.

Gordon

3. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon. Its looking expensive then :)