DLP fail - 3LCD

egg1000

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had an Optoma DW318 for 4 years and the DMD chip is failing. Several months ago the colour wheel started to fail, but opening it and greasing it seems to have stopped the blue flashes that were happening. It also has appalling light bleed all around the outside which I've been advised by Optoma is dust on the DMD chip. As each day passes another half a dozen white or black dead pixels will appear. It now looks like the opening scene of Star wars when the screen goes black.

Of course, seeing as it's now been opened, it's also screwed my warranty so, (I guess) I'm looking to replace. As the machine has been so unreliable, I'm reluctant to throw money after repairing it. So I'm looking to upgrade to 1080p and thinking the Epson TW5200 is the way to go. Obviously (now I know what's in them) I've lost my faith in DLP technology, it's a miracle it works at all now I know how it functions.

Just wondered if I'm doing the right thing, I'm aware the contrast ratio on the Epson isn't what the manufacturer claims and also that the throw distance is much shorter, I've calculated my ceiling mount will need to be moved forward, but fortunately only about 10cm. Also it's about 10db noisier than the Optoma.

There are hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon for this machine, but just wanted alternative points of view. Shrewd move or have I overlooked a better alternative. With staff discount, I can get the TW5200 for about £510.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom