1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP De-interlacer/Pro scan. Same thing?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Technophobe, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain why people use progressive scan DVD players with DLP projectors?
    It appears that DLP projectors de-interlace the image and build up a complete frame for display. Isn't this the same as progressive scan?

I'm currently using a Toshiba MT1, but will have a Sharp XV-Z9000 DLP by the weekend (Please mr AMC man). I'm hoping I will not need to upgrade my Toshiba SD210E Player which has with component I/F.

Kevin

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Actually all fixed pixel projectors work by showing a progressive full frame. Not just DLP. However, just because an image is shown proegressively doesn't mean it is better....and not all de-interlacers are created equal...just ask those folk who went to the EVENT in the summer.....

So, to answer your question the reason folk use progressive scan DVD players and external video processors with these devices is because the internal processing in them is, generally, CRAP.

Good news is that your SHARP9000 is actually quite good though!

Gordon

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Gordon.
    Looks like little to be gained by upgrading the DVD player to a progressive one, which is just as well as I'm a little strapped for cash after laying out nearly six grand on the PJ.

P.S. Just received a call from ANC telling me they seem to have lost the projector. Suspect someone at ANC is having some excellent viewing this Christmas!

Kevin

4. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how good is it in the philips UGO s-lite?

cheers

Simon

5. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it may interest you to know that although all fixed pixel pjs show a prog scan image, not all accept prog scan signals, as they all have circuitry to de-interlace images, and not all have a facility to bypass this circuitry.