1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP Curious

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tufan, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I almost ended up buying the below offer:
    Opt 1 - LG RZ-42PX11 Plasma + LG 32LZ50 LCD for £2500
    And then I came accross below new DLP options:
    Opt 2 - Toshiba 52WM48P DLP TV for £2050
    Opt 3 - Samsung SP-56L7HX DLP for £2600

I am really looking for money for value. Even though the screen is smaller for opt 1, I can have a 32" TV in my badroom as well. But the downside is I mostly watch sports and news and 4:3 format is what I need the most. Oh, also I love gaming, especially CMR series on PS2. So a second TV is good not to fight with my wife. But I hate the scaling of 4:3 on a 16:9 tv so I've been always stepping out of a plasma choice. But my oldy Philips projection tubes are finally dead and I don't intend to replace them anymore.

Is DLP size 19:6, in this case what would be the dimensions of the actual screen on 52 and 56? Is possible to watch 4:3, no rescaling. In this case what 4:3 equivalent would that be?

Well, I said DLP curious and my search in the forum did not help a lot to find answers. Please help this confused guy :lease:

2. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, maybe I need to use some more of :lease: :lease: :lease:

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    DLP as with Plasma and most LCD screens have a widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio. I don't know of any DLP sets here in the UK that are standard 4:3.

4. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get into Currys and ask to try the remote out. They nearly all have many options to adjust the screen size to 4:3.

The only screens I've seen in a physical 4:3 are PC monitors so I think you are goingto have to live with a 16:9 screen adjusted to be 4:3

Hope that helps

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    All widescreen TVs sare capable of displaying 4x3 images at their correct shape. They have to have plain black areas either side of the image.

Widescreen is the future. Sports and News will go widescreen - some already has. So, unless you plan on ditching the thing within a year or two, I strongly recommend 16x9.

As for which technology - it really is a matter of you taking a good look and choosing which suits you best. Ask "Plasma or DLP" in a DLP forum, and you'll most probably get a whole raft of pro-DLP responses, as that's what people here have already chosen - so clearly they believe it to be the better choice. Ask it in a Plasma forum and.....well I'm sure you can work it out.

So - take a good read of what's here looking specifically for the shortcomings of the options - then try to see those shortcomings for yourself, and decide whether or not you would be happy with such a purchase.

6. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel, after reviewing various sources, I think DLP is a very interesting choice. I have one question in my mind which is going to be a new topic: "Confused again. Is it me or?"