1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP chipsets, pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Grobnic, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you guys know about the advantages and disadvantages of the various DLP chipsets on the market now. I've read various stuff but I thought I would be useful to put it all in a single' dedicated thread.

My (limited) understand goes as follows

HD2 : An early version, now not in use much
    HD2+ : Designed for faster colour wheels, so less rainbows
    HD3 : Cheaper to make, no improvement on HD2+
    HD4 : The best so far

All comments and info welcomed :smashin:

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you on about... The HD2+ is the most expensive to make and I heard ultimately the best... The HD4 is way cheaper...

3. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htst...437/Main/744137

There are different DLP chips out there that have different attributes both positive & negative.

The oldest DLP chip still being sold is the HD2 chip, that usually is rated with a 1000:1 Contrast Ratio. This chip has one mirror for each pixel.

The next chip is the HD3 chip which usually is rated with a 1500:1 Contrast Ratio. This chip has one mirror for every TWO pixels. It is called a wobulated chip because it turns the chip 45 degrees and the pixels are diamond shaped instead of square. Some think it has a smoother more cinema like look. To me all 720p wobulated chips look softer and more blurry than the NON-wobulated chips.

The next chip is the HD2+ chip (notice the "+" after the 2) I was referring to in my previous post. It is usually rated with a 2500:1 Contrast Ratio. This chip has one mirror for each pixel. This is the best 720p DLP chip IMO. It is sharper, brighter, and better color saturation IMO.

The next chip is the HD4 chip which usually is rated with a 1500:1 OR 2500:1 Contrast Ratio. This chip has one mirror for every TWO pixels. It is called a wobulated chip because it turns the chip 45 degrees and the pixels are diamond shaped instead of square. Some think it has a smoother more cinema like look. To me all 720p wobulated chips look softer and more blurry than the NON-wobulated chips.

The latest chip is the xHD4 chip which us usually is rated with a 2500:1 OR 5000:1 Contrast Ratio. This chip has one mirror for every TWO pixels. It is called a wobulated chip because it turns the chip 45 degrees and the pixels are diamond shaped instead of square. Some think it has a smoother more cinema like look AND SHARPER because it is a 1920 x 1080p resolution. I have not seen these chips yet since they have been available for less than a month. The 1080p HDTVs usually cost about $1,000.00 more, and no 1080p signals are broadcast now, and will not be for some time due to bandwidth requirements, so the TV upscales a 1080i signal to 1080p internally.

4. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Sagem HD 56B owners and Samsung Sp50L7 owners WIN!

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    who did that review - jonothan ross ?

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I don't think it's a great idea to get too hung up about which chips are best. Ultimiately the overall package of a DLP TV will be the deciding factor in a purchase rather than what chip it uses. There's a lot more to what makes a particular DLP TV a winner than just the DMD chip.

7. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kmhtkmhtkmht :hiya:

I did say limited knowledge :devil: Got your attention though :D

I know you are a proud sagem 56" owner :thumbsup: , I'm very much drawn to Sagem myself but 45" is a better size for me so I'm hanging out for the HD45H G4 that John Lewies have on there website. from the posts I've seen the 56" was an improvement on the old 45" and I'm hoping that sagem have taken the best from the 56" and added 1 HDMI ports, etc.
    Does the 56" suffer from 'noise' when you put SD content through the HD input? I know this was a know issue with the old 45" version.

Does anybody know which chip set the newest Sagem TV's use, or any info about the colour wheel (speed / number of Segments)? I've written to Sagem but have had know response yet.

8. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From Day 1 I have said the 56 is a Noisy BEAST. With ANY Source other than HDTV stuff...

I am not that proud of the Sagem 56 truthfully, I am waiting till Monday to call the service representative and have him come fix some critical issues that's killing my set - 1. The way the set ADJUSTS the Brightness to ITS liking, i.e. Through a movie the Brightness will flicker Light and Dark when it feels like it.

2. The NOISE. The TV is WELL Noisy (Picture) - there must be something wrong with it.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Not sure if this will help but my Hitachi plasma does the brightness thing IF I have the contrast and brightness settings on certain numbers - upping one and lower the other stops it

10. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'mma just get the boy to come over and sort it, 2 and a half grand the thing doesn't even work...

It's not realistic for a TV just to work great when watching HDTV...

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The fact that the later model is cheaper does not necessarily mean it is of lesser quality.

As all new technologies progress and consumer uptake expands, more efficent production, technical research and economies of scale come into play, thus reducing manufacturing costs.

For an example, look at early CD players. Average cost £700-£800. Within a few years players at £100 were blowing these out of the water performance-wise.

12. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's true, but the HD4 is a wobulated chip and the HD2+ is not. And wobulated chips are not as good as a true 720 chip, according to most.

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It's not a question of being better or not, they just give two different results. A finer, sharper picture with the HD2+ and a smoother more cinematic feel using the HD4. Personally I prefer results from the latter and as I've said earlier the whole TV package is the most important thing rather than which chip it uses. I've seen HD2+ chip TVs which looked pants compared to a Samsung SP46L6HX.