1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP as PC monitor replacement due to eyes problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sen, Aug 11, 2005.

?
  1. Yes, quite easy.

11.1%
  2. Yes, but not so easy.

11.1%
  3. No, too complicated.

22.2%
  4. No, it is worse for the eyes.

55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sen

sen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m considering replacing my PC monitor (Viewsonic VE902M 19" TFT 23ms 800:1 (1280x1024) Monitor) with DLP projector.

Please, give me your advice and suggestions on the following matters:

1. Is this a viable solution at all?
    Do you know any examples of similar replacement?

2. What are the minimum entry level technical specifications for a budget projector to be able to show clearly EXCEL and WORD files?

3. Any suitable makes/models?

This is what I found, but I’m not sure if SVGA is enough for crystal view of EXCEL files.

BENQ PB6110

Display Technology DLPTM by Texas Instruments
    Panel SVGA 12 degree DDR DMD TM x 1
    Native Resolution SVGA(800 x 600)
    Resolution Supported 640 x 350 to 1280 x 1024
    Brightness 1500 ANSI lumens
    Contrast Ratio 2000:1
    Image Size 31” to 300”
    Throw Ratio 60”@2m (60”@6.6 feet)
    Zoom Ratio 1:1.22
    Keystone correction +/- 15˚
    Displayable Colours Full 16.7 million color palette
    Aspect Ratio 4:3 / 16:9 screen selectable
    Light Source 200W NSH, 2000 hours / 3000 hours lamp life (Normal / Economic Mode)
    Operational Noise <30/26 dB
    Horizontal Frequency 20 ~ 88 kHz
    Vertical Scan Rate 20 ~ 100 Hz
    Input Sources Analog RGB: D-sub 15 pin x 1 Component Video: D-sub 15 pin x 1 S-Video: Mini DIN 4 pin x 1 Composite-Video: RCA x 1 PC Audio: Stereo mini jack x 1 Video L/R audio: Stereo mini jack x 1
    Video Compatibility NTSC / PAL / SECAM
    Dimensions (HxWxD) 262 x 98.4 x 215.5 mm
    Net Weight 2.9 kg (6.38 lbs)
    Lens Manual Zoom, F=2.4 to 2.6, f=24 - 29.1mm
    Power supply 100 to 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz
    Power Consumption (Max) 285W (Max.)
    OSD (On-Screen Display) languages English/ French/ German/ Italian/ Spanish/ Korean/ Traditional Chinese/ Simplified Chinese/ Japanese/ Russian
    Functions Digital Keystone Progressive scan
    Auto Source Detection
    Freeze Source detection
    Blank HDTV Compatible
    8 Preset Modes Macintosh® compatible

Accessories Included User’s Manual Remote ControlSoft Carry CaseQuick start GuideBattery Video Cable S-video Cable VGA Cable PC Audio CableRCA L/R Audio CableUSB CableWarranty Information Booklet>PWR Cord-(UK, US EU) 3-2 Converter

4. Could this option be more healthy for the eyes?

I’m considering such replacement mainly due to eye problems. I use computer for at least 6h per day in my work and about 2h in home (but often between 10 and 12 per day). I had to get my first glasses couple of months ago and these are helpful, but after 2-3 hours I feel eye strain. Anyone with similar problem could share his approach for dealing with it.

Any comments would be highly appreciated as I am trying to solve a health issue here. :lease:

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    with ref your pc monitor, the pj will only display 800X600 so will scale down pc input, you may have probs displaying some fonts. I myself found that after 4 to 5 hours at the pc, it began to strain my vision. I found altering text size and icon size in the accessibilty option on XP useful. also changed the appearance of windows. ie alter screen colout from the bright white to aqua marine a sort of very light green it is very effective and I no longer get eye strain.
    right click desktop from menu select properties, select appearance tab. it will show your current chioce, plus all others available, just experiment and see.

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't go with a PJ for this kind of use. Especially not a DLP.

I have been working with computers for 15 years now and a good quality LCD is my prefrered display, I get far less eye strain with this then I did with CRTs, the Viewsonic should be fine.

What kind of environment do you work in? Strip lights can give this effect as they flicker (in theory so fast it just looks like constant light but they can cause eye strain), they need to be shielded by diffusors.

You need to ensure you're not constantly looking at the screen, a window you can look out off is good (it's important to change the focal distance of your eye).

I also find that I get this more if it is warm.

If you are getting this all the time you need to visit an optitian and explain it to them, you may need special glasses just for display equipment, or it may simply not be safe for you to use display equipment for any length of time.

If your optitian can't help then see your doctor.

4. sen

sen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried it before to reset the appearance settings and the size and it helps a bit.
    Tnx Sbowler.

Maff et1 : “I wouldn't go with a PJ for this kind of use. Especially not a DLP.”

Why not DLP?

I work in a room where the sun light is never sufficient and we rely mainly on white
    fluorescent light shielded by diffusors.

I talked with an optitian and he suggested the glasses which I now have, but I still feel that this is not enough.

And finally about the Poll: well, looks like being back on the starting line ;)

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend against DLP because of the rainbow effect (the image is made by quickly displaying the entire image in different colours), even if you don't suffer from it in best conditions then you will start to when you are tired or have been looking at it for along while. This is especially true of data DLP's as due to the number of segments and speed of the colour wheel (they have a white segment to boost brightness).

Any PJ wil need to be used in darker conditons which is also bad for eyestrain.

I deffinately prefer a good quality LCD monitor, I've never worked for long periods on a PJ but there has been nothing in watching films on mine that has made me think it would be good to work on.

What is the rest of your work environment like, the eyestrain could be a side effect of general tiredness which could be caused by heat or humidity. How often do you take breaks aswell, you need to give your eyes a rest.

Do you also get it when only using your machine at home, and do you get anything similar on days when you don't use a PC at all?