1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dlp and lcd HELP!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bazthesonicfan, Aug 7, 2005.

1. bazthesonicfan

bazthesonicfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i'am considering buying a 50" samsung dlp rear projection tv, i dont see rainbow effect as a problem for me, but am worried about the thickness of this screen due to the size of my room, ive seen the picture in HD signal, and i love it.

thing is ive seen lcd screens, and i think that terrestrial tv pictures and the like look pretty awful, but its good for my room as i can hang these types of screen on my wall, and i prefer these to plasmas because i will be surfing internet and playing video games on it an awful lot, and LCDs apparently do not get burn-in as I've heard.

what i would like to know is, and i would be greatful if someone could help me soon as i am thinking of buying within the week, is if you were to compare a DLP rear projection tv with a HD signal's picture quality with an LCD screen's HD signal's picture quality (in which i have never seen before) which would you think be the best option?

if i need to provide more information on this to help answers, please let me know,

thanks

2. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    err ... as you're posting in a DLP forum, you're going to get kinda a biased response :)

I actually took time to re-view several higher end Plasma and LCD panels over the weekend, in case I was missing out on the latest generation. After viewing several, I'm still sold on DLP.

The main turn off for me with LCD is what I would call refresh or scan rate (even though this is not the correct term), what I mean is if you have a fast moving screen or pan, you get what I guess you could say was a form of motion blur where it appears as if the screen can't update fast enough.

I'm more sold on Plasma over LCD technology, but with that said I still feel as if DLP has a more natural picture over all of them. If you still wanna go for a plasma or LCD, I would go with Pioneer, they are by far the best of the bunch that I have seen (IMO).

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have seen DLP and LCD on HD and personally think DLP has the edge BUT that is not to say LCD isnt good. I think the refresh rate issue on LCD's has pretty much been sorted on all except on the cheapest of screens. I have just taken delivery of a 26" LCD today for my bedroom but am going for DLP as the main viewing screen for the living room. :D

Re: Burn-in...EVERYWHERE I have read says LCD's suffer no burn-in, hwever the manual for mine says that if viewing a letterbox or 4:3 image (with black borders on either top or bottom) for excessive amounts of time that Burn-in can occur??? :confused:

4. bazthesonicfan

bazthesonicfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much to the both of you for your help! this has helped me a lot

thank you!

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    :offtopic: ....but.....Not a Samsung, by any chance, is it? I suspect that the author of the manual doesn't know that Plasma and LCD differ and simply copied & pasted. Rather like the manual for a phone (with a Lithium-Ion battery) which warns of memory effect (a feature exclusive to NiCd batteries).

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LCD's do suffer a burn in effect but the effect is only temporary lasting a few hours. :thumbsup: