Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DLP and how it works

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Razor, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
  2. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Razor,

Cool link !

35 Trillion Colours :eek: Blimey .. next-gen TV is gonna be awesome :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Daz

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Is Texas Ins even working on a 3 chip system for the home? Or are we still talking decades away here?

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    I have seen the 3 chip front projector form infocus it was about 3 feet long and about 2 foot wide. It costs around £20,000.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_777.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_668.htm

Picture was good but couldnt really tell the difference between the infocus 7205 HD2+ DLP which costs around £5000. I think the software was the limiting factor. Had I been watching HD demo via Blueray or WMV HD I think I would of noticed the difference. 3 chips systems real benifit over the 1 chip system is no rainbows as well as more colours.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Thanks Razor, I think that was taken from the main DLP website at http://www.dlp.com Here you'll find all you need to know about DLP technology.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Guys, bear in mind that our eyes can't tell the difference between the 16.7m colours we currently have. We can differentiate between around 3m colours.

Here's an example for you:

[​IMG]

That's 251, 87, 87 and 250, 87, 87.

3 chip DLP is very nice though :)

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Sorry mate but you have totally lost me with your numbers and big coloured squares?????

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Those are two different colours, the numbers are their RGB components. So we have 251 red, 87 green, 87 blue for the top left rectangle and 250 red, 87 green, 87 blue for the lower right rectangle. Can you see the difference?

The 16.7m colour pallete comes from 8 bits (2 to the power 8 is 256, 256 x 256 x 256 = 16,777,216) for each of red, green and blue.

9. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Oh i see. No I cant tell the difference at all. Which I guess is your point. :)

Could it be the fact that my dlp set cant tell the differnce (only a single chip set) or are you not ment to be able to tell the difference? Would I be able to tell the difference on a 3 chip system?

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My point is that the currently available colour pallet is more than we can differentiate between. It is already our eyes that are the limitation not the display (with regard to different shades that is, the colour gamut* can still be improved upon). Therefore increasing the number of colours to whatever silly number is quoted in that link isn't going to improve things for us.

So no, you wouldn't be able to see the difference on a 3 chip system, or any display for that matter.

*There are two different parts to this, the range of colours available, the gamut and the different shades that can be shown within that, which is where these 16.7m and other figures come from. It is only the range that needs improving.

There is a lot more information in a series of articles on Extremetech:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1737351,00.asp

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Daneel

Thanks for the link.

Learned something new. These bits were interesting:

- we see that the plasma has the widest color gamut and the DLP the smallest, although of all of the technologies, it has primaries closest to the CRT, which is our reference standard. All of the primaries have a relatively high color saturation, because they are close to the outer white border. The major difference between the displays is in the hues of the primaries (rather than their saturation) and the biggest variation is in the greens.

- The differences are most apparent in images that include highly saturated colors. For red, the DLP and LCD are separated the most. For green the plasma produced a green that was significantly different than all of the other displays, and is actually quite close to NTSC green. This will have a tendency to add a green caste that can be partially corrected using the display's color controls (see below). For blue the DLP and LCD are again separated the most. In each case the CRT primaries were in the middle of the pack, which is not surprising given that it is the reference standard so none of the displays can stray too far from it. Overall, the DLP had primaries closest to the CRT, with the plasma coming in second. (It would have been a tie had the plasma green not been so far off.)

cheers :)

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel the article is allready in the sticky it is a link directly to the displaymate page where it is a lot easier to read as you just scroll down one large page instead of having the page split over a dozen pages.

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

Steve I am sure if you were able to have a pop up for your sticky you would.... lol :rotfl: :rotfl: spy ware

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A pop up at the start of every thread what a good idea :devil:

Extremetech is a good site i'll add it to the links section it's just that the displaymate comparisson review is huge & it would drive you mad trying to read it all from the extremetech site :hiya: