DLP Advise please!

M

meridian

Hi all,
I am a current Barco CRT owner and have decided to purchase either the NEC HT1100 or the Infocus 5700. Not sure which one to buy and would appreciate some opinions.
Cheers, Stephen.

hi there.

I have an ht1100 and have o say i think it is very impressive. My inderstanding is that, compared with the infocus, the nec is going to gain alot in contrast ratio and not lose much else. You may say that the NEC will only use part of the panel for most viewing, but as has has been said elsewhere, the likes of the infocus has a panel which is basically that in the nec with part of it chopped off. Also, with the NEC you can use an anamorphic lens and increase the resolution further by using the whole panel with 16:9 (though i wouldnt be certain they would be easy to source in aus).

ad

Depending on you screen size & viewing distance, screen "structure" from either DLP or LCD may be your biggest problem.

Have you demoed either yet? DLPs can & do have colour separation (rainbow) problems which can affect viewers.

It's been siad before but in your situation you're well advised to get out & demo the models in which you're interested. Better still, arrange a home demo from your friendly dealer.

Best of luck.

:smoke:

personally I like the Infocus, had a demo of the NEC HT1100 didn't think it matched the infocus, plus the deal we're doing on the Infocus makes it a far better buy.

Regards

Thanks all,
I have now put the Benq 8700 to the top of my shopping list it looks to outperform all of the other models I mentioned.
Cheers, Steve.:D

oh be careful! The 8700 was on my list too but I got the NEC HT1100 in preference. The benq might appear better in its resolution and what have you, but there are a whole host of problems associated...... if you want, go check out www.avsforum.com in the $3500 and up digital projector category. Despite many happy owners, there are also alot with problems. The NEC for example, has pretty much no complaints......

ad

My vote would have to go to the HT1(1)000.
It would allow you to use a 4.3 screen for gaming, yet blanks down to a 16.9 for movies.
The additional advantage of the anamorphic lens almost seals the deal!

One point nobody has mentioned, is the NECs class leading (lowest) black level.
The NEC doesn't escape faults though(what PJ does!). There is a thread over at AVS about a strange film build up on the colour wheel.
Luckily it seems an easy fix by careful cleaning etc.

Please note i haven't seen the Infocus or Benq models, so i am not saying they aren't better. Rather that the NEC is just very good!;)

I have the INfocus, and love it. However I think that the NEC will have blacker blacks, and a smoother image. I do find that the Infocus shows just a little grain, particularly on dark scenes.
For me, the extra brightness of the Infocus swung the decision (although this was against the Sim Domino). I do not have the luxury of a dedicated HT room, and get quite a lot of ambient light in from floor to ceiling windows down one side. with the Infocus, I can watch with quite a lot of this light intrusion.

All are really good

Enjoy!!

Peter

Has anyone done a side by side comparision between the Benq 8700 and the NEC HT 1100? The Benq has a higher resoultion using the Mustang HD2 chip. Any thoughs?
Cheers, Steve.

The biggest problem with the benq is that itis prone to 'barrel distortion' which some people just cannot live with at all. I havent seen one, but compared to the NEC, it will not have as fantastic blacks but will likely suffer from less screendoor due to the higher resolution. Any more than that and i would be guessng

ad

I wouldn't imagine screen door to be an issue, usually something more noticable on LCD machines. The mustang Hd2 chip is really good, although I would put my prefence in the HT1100. I saw the InFocus Screenplay 5700 side by side with the NEC and although both were pretty spectacular I prefered the NEC for overall functionality and the depth and saturation of the picture. Have to confess I haven't seen the Benq so this could be pretty good. (looks great on paper, but so did the 4800 and this has more artifacts than any other projector I've ever seen)

There aren't too many artifacts with the NEC HT1100. Only had one case of someone noticing a slight rainbow effect although this seemed to be a problem that was fixed under warranty. Sticky colour wheel apparantly!.

The only projector that I would really love to see is the Optoma Themescene H70 although its not going to be released over here :(

Originally posted by Spasm

The only projector that I would really love to see is the Optoma Themescene H70 although its not going to be released over here :(

Surely with the exceptional dollar rate at the moment it is worth importing one?

Even if you had to send it back for repair it would probably still work out much cheaper than buying similar here.

Cheers
Marc

more curiosity than anything. Resently sold of most of my AV equipment in favour of saving for a Vespa!

Is it not the H76? AVS were doing a special a few weeks back on a few demos costing only $4300 USD.....

ad

QUOTE "There aren't too many artifacts with the NEC HT1100. Only had one case of someone noticing a slight rainbow effect although this seemed to be a problem that was fixed under warranty."

If only :D :D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom