1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP+480p output VS. LCD+XGA output

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uviuar, Aug 4, 2005.

1. uviuar

uviuar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, im stuck between these two 'standards' here.

A DLP 480p 700 lumen 2000:1 contrast ratio projector

vs

A LCD XGA 2200 lumen 400:1 contrast ratio projector

Considering the price range, these two formats seemed to be priced to compete against each other. Now the resolution of the DLP 480p is less than its LCD counterpart, however since it's using DLP technology, im lead to believe that the lack in pixels wont be noticeable the way it would with an LCD, where each pixel is plainly visible. And with such a sharp difference in contrast, the DLP gains points in potential image quality. Of course the LCD has a huge advantage in lumen output.

So im asking, if you were to put these two projectors next to each other, which would probably look best, not considering the rainbow effect or other flukes.

And what suggestions would you have projector wise in case im totally off about these two being in the same market as each other.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    What do you want to use them for? What's your budget? What are the two projectors in particular, and why have you chosen them? Are you in the UK?
    ...PJ :)

3. uviuar

uviuar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to use them to project things in general. From movies, satellite television, to spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc. I know i read a lot about how sharp plain text and numbers look on an lcd, but i'm not really buyin all that hype because ive seen it projected at XGA from an LCD and theres nothing particularly special or amazing about sharp letters, so long as they arent completely blurred by a DLP making them an eyesore to look at.

My budget is $1600-$2500

As for which projector models im comparing, i want a more general consensus, technology/potential image quality comparing the two genres more than actually comparing two specific projectors. I do not have a particular model im looking at.