DLP 16:9 Projector for 2K (Honestly) - Piano + confirmed sale for 2K

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stewart C, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard today from my friends at Stereo Stereo that they are awaiting the release of a DLP projector called the Piano + going on sale for 2 Grand.

God this is projector heaven. Has the world gone bonkers !!

Regards

2. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, the Plus Piano is quite "old" now (six months old).
    It is a 4:3 848x600 DLP projector, with 450 lumens and 700:1 contrast ratio. It sells for $3000 in the USA, and $2600 in Japan.
    Pretty good pj, but still have that darn rainbow effect, though it uses a 4x color wheel.

3. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On a positive note, everyone seems to say the rainbows are minimal ( see the SGHT review which can be downloaded at www.plushometheater.com ) , all the U.S and German reviews have been good ( that I've seen anyway ) and all the owners posting on the avsforum seem to love it ( which is unusual !?! ). If the price is £2K I'll be over the moon, the Euro price translates to about £2200 ( still cheap for what is on offer ).

Also as I'm sure Jones_Rush knows it is 800 x 600 in 4:3 mode and 848 x 480 in 16:9 mode, so better for Gone with the Wind than the AE-100.

4. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure the Piano worth the extra cost over the PT-AE100.
    They are both flawed units. One with apparent scan lines and the other with apparent rainbow effect. According to some in-action pictures I saw of the PT-AE100, the Piano might be worth the extra cost, but it's too early to say.
    Even if the extra cost don't bother you, you should know that the Piano, being a DLP pj, might cause a severe case of nausea to one of your guests, or even worse, an epilepsy seizure, if he/she is sensitive enough. This things have happened. Browse www.avsforum.com for more details.

5. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There isn't a projector out there that doesn't have flaws. I think we just buy the best we can within our budget. I think I will probably buy a Piano although now I think I'd better prepare a medical questionairre for any prospective movie viewers:D .

( I think 50HZ scanning can trigger epilepsy as well )

6. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually I'm wrong, we all know there is a flawless projector out there,drumroll, the Ellie. ( Just call me Chompy )

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    If the piano is £2k then this is very good value for what it offers, I think it will sell well at this price. It must be the one to beat with DM chip and Sage deinterlacing. I haven't seen one but the American reviews are interesting.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    yes, avsforums are very positive about the piano.

9. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've e-mailed Rapesco and Plus Europe before about the U.K availability of the Piano and never heard anything back. I e-mailed the German Plus shop website and have just recieved an answer, soon!. Nice to finally get some response.

10. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ho ho ho! I've been emailing rapesco since last september when they said they were expecting the piano "in the next 6 weeks"

My last email off them said they "hoped to hear something by the end of february"

Funny thing is, I emailed Plus of Japan (last week) about availability of the Piano in Europe and its pricing and they replied along the lines that they did not have a distribution partner in the UK yet and no date was set for its introduction.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Stewart: i guess you must have spoken to Ian. Don't know if he's spoken to someone about this since last week but we don't know the UK price. I doubt it'll be £2000.

Also I think the Piano uses a Sil504chip for de-interlacing, not the Sage/Faroudje thing. I'll check that later.

We are expecting a Plus projector to try out that will be £2000 ish though.

Gordon