DLNA TV that works, easily.

JeffOfDeath

Standard Member
Hi.

I've had lots of joy streaming things to my old CRT using my PS3 over DLNA so I wanted a DLNA TV to go in another room and be able to stream the same movies from my NAS as PS3 does such a good job of. I looked around for reviews but no-one really talks about the DLNA performance and sales staff in stores didn't know what i was talking about. In the end I went for a Panasonic TX-L32G20B at £440 from Amazon which had big shiny DLNA and DivX HD logos all over it. An otherwise great TV, it turns out that it can only play DivX media from a usb device, not from my NAS over DLNA and while my PS3 plays about 99% of the media on my NAS, the panny plays none of it.

I've poked around on the forums here and there's plenty of threads talking about similar problems with other TV's - sony and samsung. Some folks say they can get them working using other media server software but I want to stream direct from my NAS... having a PC on defeats the point of it.

So my question is this: Does anyone know of any DLNA TVs on the market that can actually stream media in fairly sensible formats (mostly DivX / XVid) from a NAS, for around about that price range, like a PS3 does, without any faffing about, endless transcoding or running third party software. Should I send my Panny back and get something else or is it still just to early to be trying to do this?

I've got another week or so to make up my mind so any help is appreciated.

Phew... that was a long first post :)

marky9074

Novice Member
I have the same TV and knew that it did not stream, so feel your pain. I assumed that it would come with later firmwares given that it has an ethernet connection, but alas so far only iplayer has turned up and you have to be watching freesat for that option to be available...

Most manufacturers have streaming ability. At the moment Samsungs have the best format and app support, though I have yet to receive my new Sony TV so cannot comment, but historically (with the old Applicast) Sony only supported MPEG2 over DLNA....

So in answer to your question.. yes, it can be done and support is getting better, though most people would suggest a separate streamer, or update to a dvd/bluray with streaming support.... also googletv boxes will open up possibilities somewhat...

Any welcome...

marky9074

Novice Member
Forgot to say I did post in a thread asking if there was any firmware hacking going on (like on the Sammys) but I've not found anything yet...

JeffOfDeath

Standard Member
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm also hoping that a firmware update might improve things - it seems really bizarre that it can play almost anything off a USB stick but almost nothing over a network cable. I sent Panasonic support an email asking about that but they haven't replied :(

I wonder if I can get a demo of a Samsung and see if its good enough to warrant the extra cash.

marky9074

Novice Member
I have a 32" Samsung upstairs... it's good. It will play anything from my Synology NAS drive, though the GUI is a little clunky. When browsing movies from a folder it shows everything in 'folder' view rather than list view, so if your browsing through hundreds of movies (all in their own folders) then it can take an age to get to it...

.....that said it does work well, and is the best I have found so far.

NX3

So my question is this: Does anyone know of any DLNA TVs on the market that can actually stream media in fairly sensible formats (mostly DivX / XVid) from a NAS, for around about that price range, like a PS3 does, without any faffing about, endless transcoding or running third party software. Should I send my Panny back and get something else or is it still just to early to be trying to do this?
All brands have issues and silly restrictions. I've got a Sony EX503 by the way. Anyway if you get a set thats fairly compatible with video codecs e.g can do MKVs over a network connection (something Sony tends to limit) the sets have non-standard DLNA. This tends to mean your stuck using some clunky not very good software that can only be run from a PC. Or if you get passed all of those issues, you find your video files have DTS sound. I've not read of a set yet than can decode and downmix to stereo. They tend to do passthru to a amp or some don't even do that so you get no sound.

In short, buy a media player like WDTV Live. £80, does most video / audio formats, plays from network, usb, wired, wifi etc etc.... Its all just much simpler.

JeffOfDeath

Standard Member
Yeah... looks like I need to wait a couple more years to be able to do this properly. Its a shame... DLNA is supposed to make it all really simple and easy for the end user. It'll be awesome when its all working properly one day.

I'll probably hang on to the Panny then as it looks like there isn't anything that will really do want I want how i want. I'll just stick to playing stuff from my netbook over HDMI for now, though I might look into a separate media player unit if that starts to annoy me.

If Panasonic ever reply, I'll post it here.

PICKY737

I've just got the LG 42LD490 for £420 at Currys and that plays HD files from my NAS including mkv,avi m2ts,vob,mp4 and also via the usb port which supports ntfs hard drives.This is via the ethernet connector but you can buy a wireless dongle for it.

PeteWilliams

Standard Member
Anyone got any other models to comment on? I'm looking for a decent TV that will happily stream HD MKVs over DLNA and would like to know what my options are.

PeteWilliams

Standard Member
Same options as before, if you want it to be easy, painless, just work buy a WDTV Live along with your LCD.
Not entirely true. I've bought one of these cheap 22 inchers the other day and it works pretty nicely:

Cello C22101DVB-IP iViewer 22 inch LCD Full HD 1080p.. | Ebuyer.com

The only problem it had with HD MKVs is that DTS ones needed converting to AC3 before it would play the sound.

Was just wondering if there are any other sets like this?

NX3

A lot of MKV have DTS sound and very few sets have DTS license or even pass thru. Part of the reason I'd recommend a media player like WDTV as it just plays files, no converting.

soulsurvivor

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm also hoping that a firmware update might improve things - it seems really bizarre that it can play almost anything off a USB stick but almost nothing over a network cable. I sent Panasonic support an email asking about that but they haven't replied :(

I wonder if I can get a demo of a Samsung and see if its good enough to warrant the extra cash.

Hi Jeff,

Are you saying the G20 plays pretty much everything from a usb stick? i.e. various video formats

Reason I ask is cos I was all set and convinced myself its what I wanted but was never sure about usb video playback - avi, divx etc. I have tried to search AVF but not much luck.

If you could set me straight I would appreciate it.... and might have to pop to the local indy!!

Thanks although I'm no help to you I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom