DLNA errors & media streaming

I don't have any issues with my Vista and XP computers; I do get the error from time to time, but it seems to disappear.
Make sure your PS3 and your PCs are on the same subnet, which I am pretty much sure it would be.

I have tried these softwares on my PCs and it seems to find them:
1. Playon
2. Twonkymedia
3. Vaio DLNA Media server (comes with the Sony PC)

My issue is the lip sync problem the video being streamed from Internet; any help?!
Azita

I get the DLNA 2104 errors with my Netgear DG834N when the rotuer is in "upto 270Mbps" mode, but if I force it to "G" only in the wireless settings, not a single 2104 error occurs. (Incidently I cannot game with the DG834N is "upto 270Mbps" mode either).

I have a support ticket open with Netgear about it at the moment, but they seem to just want to blame the PS3, although my other 'G' device, a Squeezebox 3 has issues when the DG834N is in "upto 270Mbps" also, although it doesnt actually affect the functionality for me as I only need about a 1000kbps xfer rate with the Squeezebox.

With the PS, its different of course, in 'G' only I can stream divx, xvid and 720p mkv's (which have been mkv2vob'd) fine, if I set the router in "upto 270Mbps" its a jerk fest.

Also, I get about 20Mbps on file transfers to the PS3 in 'G' only, in "upto 270Mbps" I am lucky to get half that when transfering to the PS3.

So if anyone who is having trouble, try forcing your router into 'G' only for the wireless and test. I know it doesnt help if you have 'N' devices elsewhere (which is my issue with Netgear) but its a start.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post an update following the recent v2.60 firmware update. No change to the "disconnected from media server" errors. They still occur frequently.

As mentioned previously, my setup was completely wireless. I've now moved the router to the computer room and the PC is now wired to the router. PS3 is still wireless. It's not made a jot of difference today.

Other changes I've tried with no positive outcome are:-

1) forwarded these ports to the PS3

Official PlayStation website: Help & Support

2) In a hidden menu in the Belkin Router changed the "Maximum incomplete tcp/udp sessions number from same host" from 10 to 30. Just came across a couple of articles where people sometimes get UDP FLOOD messages in the security log. I hadn't, but thought I'd increase it anyway.

Cheers

AL

Just thought I would update my situation too, both Netgear and Sony acknowledge that the DG834N has to be in mode 'G' only for wireless to work properly., and 'N' upsets the apple cart.

So the Netgear went back for a full refund 'not fit for purpose' and I bought an el cheapo 54g router from Ebuyer, streams perfectly with no DLNA errors wirelessly and plays games fine online.

This means of course no wireless 'N' for me. I would be interested to see if any other draft 'N' routers work with the PS3 when they are set to 'N' mode.

Seems you don't always get what you pay for, the DG834N was nearly £100 compared to £14.99 for the Ebuyer value one!

Hey Stormy,

How's things with the new router? Still ok?

I'm tempted just to buy one myself at that price.

By the way, what OS is your PC, XP or Vista Sp1?

Cheers

AL

PS: I looked at that cheep router yesterday, and I'm sure it was £14.99, but now its £24.99. :(

Last edited:
Hey Stormy,

Cheers

AL

PS: I looked at that cheep router yesterday, and I'm sure it was £14.99, but now its £24.99. :(

Lo mate,

Yeh, the router is still fine, its still pretty slow (compared to any wired solution of course) when transfering files from the PC to the PS3 when copying and when downloading stuff from PSN but so far still not a single DLNA error with streaming 720p (mkv2vob'd TV episodes) using WMP11 on Vista SP1. I used to get ton's of DLNA errors even just browsing folders and file listings when using the Netgear in 'N' mode.

I have had one issue where I get an odd judder/out-of-sync/delay. Its not like a typical bandwidth stutter but I couldnt get to the bottom of it. Not sure if it was video source, the PC, the PS3 or wireless link at fault. It could always be fixed by stopping and restarting the stream though. This has not actually happened since the last firmware update but that could be purely coincidental. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Looks like the router has gone back to its higher price which is a pity. I would suggest seing if you can maybe test another router though to see if that helps your issues. My Netgear (in G) was ok although not worth the price in the end, and the cheap G router seems fine.

Last edited:
Thanks Stormy, and for confirming your setup.

Funny you should mention "another router", having borrowed a Linksys a few weeks back, I'm now borrowing a Netgear DG834G v2 of a mate at work. Going to give it a try this weekend.

Cheers

AL

Hi all,

Guess the new firmware release has not addressed the video streaming problem. I doubt getting a new router would solve the problem as I think the problem lies with the PS3, in specific some driver for the wifi.

Hi all,

Guess the new firmware release has not addressed the video streaming problem. I doubt getting a new router would solve the problem as I think the problem lies with the PS3, in specific some driver for the wifi.

Not sure but my cheapo Extra Value 54g Router from Ebuyer has worked fine boon, no DLNA errors at all so I am not sure its as clear cut as the "problem lies with the PS3", unless its a specific PS3 fault on certain machines?

Al, how did you get on with your testing?

Hey Stormy,

Cheers

AL

It is - without delivery!
Opt for super saver and it works out to be 19.78

Im going to buy one now as im having same issues here and was going to buy a netgear

I'm running a desktop PC and a newly bought laptop. Both running same Vista OS, set up for streaming and sharing exactly the same and I get error 7522 with the PC when streaming music but not with the laptop. The Sky Sagem router is cable connected to the PC and the laptop is running wireless.
No idea why this is? Anyone any idea?

Not sure but my cheapo Extra Value 54g Router from Ebuyer has worked fine boon, no DLNA errors at all so I am not sure its as clear cut as the "problem lies with the PS3", unless its a specific PS3 fault on certain machines?

Hi stormyuk, I do have a Netgear wireless router lying around. Guess I'll try using that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sorry Malabbey, not sure what 7522 is. Do you just have problems with music? Any probs with video or pics?

Latest from me...

It's probably early days but...connected up the netgear router tonight. PC is wired to it, as it was to the Belkin. No network drop outs at the PC end, like I experienced the other day with the Belkin. So that was a positive start.

Later on I fired up the PS3 and started to stream a video down. PS3 is wireless, same IP settings as before, just different SSID to the netgear wireless router, same channel, same WEP encryption, uPnP off on the PS3 and router. Basically same setup as the Belkin but different hardware.

Anyway, a DivX3 film (1.2Mbps) streamed happily for over 30 mins. No disconnections, no DLNA errors. Only the occasional stutter, and occasional long stutter at times, but the movie just carried on. The wife was even browsing the net at the same time on her laptop. :thumbsup:

So having tried video, I moved on to pictures. Set a slide show going of streamed pics from the PC, ran without a hitch for 15mins. No errors. Not tried music yet.

Like I say, early days, will try some more tomorrow.

Cheers

AL
PS: Stormy if this remains stable, I owe you a pint or two. :clap:

Purchased PS3 about a month ago and just found the time to start seeing what it has to offer. Happy I am to find out it has the ability to network with my PC. Like you folks I have run into numerous protocol errors and after reading the many post from many sites, I the problem lies with the PS3 firmware. Thank goodness for blogs, forums…etc.etc..
However I have noticed something that I can't explain. Perhaps someone with more experience than me, (that's not hard) can explain.
I am able to stream videos, listen to music, and browse pictures, when I reference my external libraries. Suppose I better clarify. All pics, movies, and music are backed up to external drive. They are on my C: drive as well. When I go into my DNLP application (Orb), and change my files to point to the external drive things seem to work.
When libraries are referenced on the C: drive, the PS3 sees the PC set up. The various icons appear on the PS3, however, when I press enter (to view song listing) the protocol message appears.
When libraries are referenced on the external, the PS3 sees the PC set up. The various icons appear on the PS3, and when I press enter (to view song listing) the listing displays and I can play and stream the music.
Likewise for video, and pics.
So for me this would seem to be a work around until I am able to stream directly from my C: drive. What kind of puzzles me is that I'm sure you folks must have tried this did it not work for you?
Tech notes:
Operating system XP
PS3 with latest firmware.
DNLP program, Orb

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, a DivX3 film (1.2Mbps) streamed happily for over 30 mins. No disconnections, no DLNA errors. Only the occasional stutter, and occasional long stutter at times, but the movie just carried on. The wife was even browsing the net at the same time on her laptop. :thumbsup:

Mine manages to wirelessly stream upto about 7 or 8Mbps before it stutters, so usually more than enough to cope with 720p MKVs/Vobs. Still its odd because I can transfer files at around 18-20Mbps to the PS3 from the PC but there is no way it can stream video at those speeds, at least on mine.

I guess if someone is browsing the net at the same time, thats gonna hurt it.

PS: Stormy if this remains stable, I owe you a pint or two. :clap:

Hehe cool, hope it continues to go well. :smashin: I am wondering the the PS3 wireless firmware has issues with certain routers and or 'N' implementations too. Hmmm.

Hi Malabbey,

That sounds like a permissions issue on the Music folders or perhaps a WMP library issue. You could try moving the music folders out of the Root Music folder (e.g. "My Music"), remove "My Music" from the monitored folders and stop sharing music. Then re-enable music sharing and monitoring the folder, then move all the sub directories (albums) back. But I suspect you may have already tried all that.

I also found this thread on the US board...

DLNA PProtocol Error 7522 - PLAYSTATION®3 Media - PlayStation.com Forums

It might help a little.

AL

Thanks for that Al. Haven't really tried to fix it as I'm now streaming from my laptop. Will look into it later.

Whats ISP are you using your EL cheapo router with?
Im with o2 and tried (very quickly) to get it going last night, but didnt get too far - gonna give it a proper bash tonight, but just thought id ask

Whats ISP are you using your EL cheapo router with?
Im with o2 and tried (very quickly) to get it going last night, but didnt get too far - gonna give it a proper bash tonight, but just thought id ask

Karoo, but the ISP shouldn't matter. Yhe data is going between the PC <> Router <> PS3 so, unless you are talking about something else entirely? Streaming off the Internet or do you mean the internet connection itself is not working with the router? Some talk that some ISPs need you to for 1400 MTU with that router if thats the case. Mine has been ok on default.

Last edited:
Well guys, I think its official. The Netgear router that I have borrowed as solved my streaming problems.

I have just streamed 1hr43min movie from PC to PS3. :rotfl::thumbsup::clap::smashin::clap:

I'm very happy!

AL

Congratulations Al B! Maybe I'll give the router change a go and see how it goes from there. Please do keep us updated on the amount of time you've streamed.

I've had a nightmare with this too.

My original setup was a Netgear DG834GT connected wirelessly to a WG111 USB adapter on my Win XP Pro SP3 Dell Optiplex desktop using WM11 as the media server. Windows Firewall was off and the wifi was encrypted with WEP.

My 360 would work ok but occasionally skip playing movies but the PS3 was rock solid but this stopped like everyone else said with the last firmware upgrade.

As I had also just bought a new XPS M1530 laptop with wireless N inside, I upgraded my router to a Netgear DGN2000 and the USB adapter for my desktop PC to a WN111 connected at 130Mbps with no encryption but access control enabled. The PC and new laptop wouldn't connect at all at 270Mbps or with any type of encryption.

It's now even worse than before. I installed TVersity but had exactly the same problems and now my 360 was dropping connection when gaming. The WN111 also causes bluescreens on my desktop and I had to buy a PCI USB card so it was on it's own root hub because every time I unplugged another USB device, the wifi adapter stopped working.

I have now ordered (arriving tomorrow hopefully) 3x 200Mbps Homeplugs which should fix the streaming problem. I am also going to drop the router back down to G speeds until Netgear sort this clusterf*ck out.

I do think that if you have a N class router running at N speeds, then i does compromise the stability of G connections no matter what the router manufactures claim.

An interesting test I did was to stream the same movie from my desktop PC to both the PS3 and my old laptop (802.11G) at the same time. The laptop was sat next to the PS3 and whilst the PS3 skipped all over the place, the old laptop did not skip once which make me think the problem is with the PS3 and not the media server or router.

Just sick of the old thing. The PS3 used to just work and now it doesn't. After reading this thread, I'm convinced the firmware broke it but I've already spend over £200 trying to fix things.

I was having the same problem. The way to solve this problem that worked for me was. I have a wireless N router. The ps3 is wireless G. I have another computer on my network that uses wireless B. I have nothing that requires the wireless N on my network so i had the router settings set to MIXED G/B. I set the router to G only to match the PS3 and i havent had the dreaded 2104 ever since. I hope this helps .
For anyone who needs to know , my router is a Linksys WRT150N.
Before i fixed the problem the symptoms were. The computer could see the PS3. The PS3 could see the computer. Sometimes i could stream videos and sometimes not or the 2104 would come up during a video. It was always very speratic. Again......i hope this helps because it drove me nuts for the longest time.

Also i have the latest firmware as of 2/14/09

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom