DLNA errors & media streaming

Andrathion

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm finding it next to impossible to (wirelessly) stream media from my PC to the PS3. The PS3 keeps telling me DLNA and network errors are occcuring, most often DLNA error 2104.

I'm using Windows XP and have tried both WM11 and TVersity as media servers. The PS3 will recognise either server, but whenever I try playing a song or video, the errors start appearing and little happens.

Things were better (if certainly not flawless) a while back, using my old laptop and an older version of TVersity. Now, though, my network setup has totally changed: I've added a PC, am using a new router - and I've updated the PS3 firmware.

I've done a bit of searching, and there seem to be quite a few people with similar problems, but no-one seems to have come up with a solution.

Could the problems be due to the new PS3 firmware, as some seem to think? Should I be looking at my wireless LAN set-up? It seems like either the data is not being sent swiftly enough to the PS3 or the PS3 is not accepting it quickly enough...

I'd appreciate any thoughts, since I don't really know where to start on this one... :confused:

_________

(Oh, and I know there was an earlier thread on this, but that was a while back and didn't seem to offer any solutions.)

I'm finding it next to impossible to (wirelessly) stream media from my PC to the PS3. The PS3 keeps telling me DLNA and network errors are occcuring, most often DLNA error 2104.

I'm using Windows XP and have tried both WM11 and TVersity as media servers. The PS3 will recognise either server, but whenever I try playing a song or video, the errors start appearing and little happens.

Things were better (if certainly not flawless) a while back, using my old laptop and an older version of TVersity. Now, though, my network setup has totally changed: I've added a PC, am using a new router - and I've updated the PS3 firmware.

I've done a bit of searching, and there seem to be quite a few people with similar problems, but no-one seems to have come up with a solution.

Could the problems be due to the new PS3 firmware, as some seem to think? Should I be looking at my wireless LAN set-up? It seems like either the data is not being sent swiftly enough to the PS3 or the PS3 is not accepting it quickly enough...

I'd appreciate any thoughts, since I don't really know where to start on this one... :confused:

_________

(Oh, and I know there was an earlier thread on this, but that was a while back and didn't seem to offer any solutions.)

I'm getting the same problems. I'm getting the errors:

"PS3 system has been disconnected from the media server"

"DLNA Protocol Error 2104"

These occur almost one after another, and its repeatable time and time again. Either by browsing the Pictures folder on the PC vix PS3's XMB, or when viewing the pictures one-by-one, slideshow or when trying to stream a movie down from the PC.

This never happened before the 2.4x updates. I'm [almost] sure 2.36 never had these problems. I browse our pictres a lot with the PS3, showing friends and family our holiday snaps etc. And I've streamed hour long DivX/avi files without a problem. It's also been fine streaming music. Until now.

I'm running Vista with WMP11, a new-ish computer (quad-core, 3GB ram). It's currently using an ASUS wireless dongle to connect to our Belkin 54G Wireless Router. PS3 is connected wirelessly too. Like I said above, the network infrastructure has never caused an issue before, things have streamed fine.

So it has to be a firmware issue with the PS3, or possibly a software issue with the PC. Only thing thats changed on the PC is updates from Windows Update.

I have even disabled sharing on the PC, deleted the unknown device (PS3) and re-added it. No joy.

Does anyone else have these issues now, since 2.4x updates? Or do you have no issues at all with streaming?

Cheers

AL

PS: Some settings...

UPnP is Disabled on the PS3 and on the Router. Reason: I found a long time ago that if uPnP is enabled on the router that PC's running XP on our network lost their connection everytime a Vista PC booted up and connected to the network and started its network discovery. As above, uPnP being disabled has never caused any problems to streaming previously.

Firewall: using Windows Firewall. I've even added in explicitly all the ports WMP11 needs for media sharing, these can be found in the help for WMP11.

Last edited:
Its been a while on this topic. Has anyone else had these experiences?

Mine is still the same.

I did some testing the other day to try and get to the bottom of this. I borrowed some long ethernet cables from work and tried streaming a video from the PC to PS3 under different wired/wireless configurations.

1) PS3-wireless & PC-wireless. Media played for 2m54s, then DLNA 2104 error.

2) PS3-wireless & PC-wired. Media played for 8m39s, then DLNA 2104, Media Server Error 80710028, Access Denied to Media Server.

3) PS3-wired & PC-wired. Media played for 19mins until I manually stopped the playback. No errors

4) PS3-wired & PC-wireless. Media played for 21mins until I manually stopped the playback. Initially, DLNA 2104 error immediately after disconnecting ethernet cable from PC and renabling the wireless dongle on the PC. Then got Media Server Error 80710092 displayed on the PS3. Decided to stop/start the Windows Media Sharing Service on the PC. This allowed the PS3 to browse the files again on the PC and play the Video, and it played for 21mins until I stopped it manually.

5) PS3-wireless & PC-wireless [again]. Media played for about 10 mins and then DLNA 2104 and "PS3 has been disconnected from the media server".

I'm wondering if there is a problem with either the PS3's wireless adapter or my router's wireless. Going to try a friends router next, and then maybe a wireless gaming adapter connected to the PS3's ethernet port.

AL

I've posted elsewhere on my other networking issues, but I've recently also encountered this error.

Basically my iMac, modem and router are in an upstairs room and the PS3 is in a downstairs room, connected wirelessly.
I've recently switched to O2 and using their Wireless Box II as a modem. This modem also has a built-in b/g wireless router. I have a D-Link wireless-N router which I was previusly using with my Virgin Media cable modem.

Using the O2 box with the D-Link router gives me NAT3, but using the D-Link with the cable modem, using the exact same settings gives me NAT2!!!!
However, using the O2 box on it's own gives me NAT2. So at weekend I decided to use this on it's own to see how I get own. I get reasonable signal strength (80%-90%) and NAT2. But I noticed that when I tried to stream music and videos I keep getting this DLNA 2104 error. Some of the video files would eventually start playing, but the picture stutters every few seconds. If I use fast forward, the video either hangs or quit out. I couldn't get any music to play at all, it would just sit there like it's trying to access the file but not do anything.

If I connect the D-Link router to the modem and then connect the PS3 to that, I don't get the DLNA errors and the music and videos play perfectly.
So for the moment I'm going to continue using this setup, even though I only get NAT3.
I have no idea what causes the error, but if I find anything, I'll let y'all know.

Its been a while on this topic. Has anyone else had these experiences?

Mine is still the same.

(...)

I'm wondering if there is a problem with either the PS3's wireless adapter or my router's wireless. Going to try a friends router next, and then maybe a wireless gaming adapter connected to the PS3's ethernet port.

AL

To be frank, I gave up on this shortly after posting. I had basically the same experience as you (after going roughly the same setup procedures). Well, in my case it was actually worse - a series of disconnects after a few seconds, not minutes.

I found out there was certainly a problem with the wireless setup itself, so shifted my modem from downstairs to upstairs (where both the PC and PS3 reside). The wireless connection then seemed fine, as far as signal strength is concerned (it had gone up from 60-65% to >90%).

The PC-PS3 connection, however, hadn't really improved. I still got all the error messages.

One thing I noticed is that, on the PS3, Internet seems terribly slow. I have no idea whether this is related, but was wondering if you guys had the same experience?

Well after spending many frustrating hours and days trying to figure things out and getting the perfect setup I'm giving up on wireless connectivity.
I don't think the PS3 itself is to blame, I think the problem is with wireless networking itself. It's a black art and not user friendly at all, too many unknowns and variables to take into account.

I've now gone and ordered a couple of Solwise 200 homeplugs and a Belkin N1 Vision modem/router.
I plan to connect the PS3 using the homeplugs. The Belkin gives me a one box modem/router solution and the gigbit ethernet ports should be beneficial for streaming HD movies. I tried playing a HD film yesterday over wireless and although it played, it was very stuttery. Non-HD content plays fine though.
The wireless feature of the Belkin will be used purely for connecting the iPhone and a laptop.

Hmmmm I've been getting the same problems, surely someone on these forums can help?? :lease: :)

I've just done a bit of testing, and it seems that the really big files are messing up the streaming. I can see picture files and play music files through my ps3 from my computer. But when it comes to viewing or even copying large amounts of data (8Gb), thats when I get the DLNA error, Looks like I will be going down the cat5 route (or is it cat6 now?)

Last edited:
Tried a couple of things last night.

Stopped the IPSec service in Vista, and set it to manual start-up. Still got the "you have been disconnected from the media server" after a minute or two of photo browsing or video playing.

I then tried switching off the Windows firewall (despite having the necessary ports open for media sharing). It started to look like this had fixed it, but sadly no. After a few minutes DLNA 2104 was reported and then disconnection from the media server.

Occasionally I was also booted off the wireless router completely.

I've also read somewhere on the net that having too many codec packs installed can cause problems. So I need to check that too.

AL

This is still proving a problem.

The main problem is the "disconnected from the media server" error.

DLNA 2104 seems to be a time out, as when I have been browsing folders the DLNA 210 flashes up but disconnection doesn't occur immediately. It occurs part way through streaming a video, playing musing or browsing pictures.

Question for everyone...

Is there anyone out there successfully (i.e. no errors) streaming with this configuration:-

PS3 fw 2.52

PC: Vista Ultimate SP1, all MS Updates & Patches
WMP 11 media sharing

Cheers

AL

Just an update.

Went back to basics. Turned off media sharing on the PC and PS3.

On the PC I removed everything from the WMP library and then deleted the .wmdb file which is hidden away under your user profile directory (search the web for how to do it).

Also, removed the DRM folders and reinitialised it following the link to the MS site. (again procedure is available on the net)

Recreated the media library in WMP and only added 1 folder with the XviD video in it that I wanted to stream.

Tried streaming various conversions of the XviD... variable bit-rate audio, constant bit-rate audio - still got the same "disconnected" errors, the odd 2104 DLNA error, and a couple of others.

Latest thing I am trying is a Linksys router of a friend. It is proving a little more stable, but disconnections still occur, along with a 80710723 error and a 8003???29 error, also had 80028801 "media not supported". But the XviD's both play fine from a USB stick in the front of the PS3.

Also mailed Sony CS, no response back - great customer care.

AL

Last edited:
Same problem here too. I really do think it's due to the firmware upgrade, had no problems prior to 2.50.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL, flashsed to using DD-WRT V24 SP1, Vista SP1. Hope Sony will rectify this problem in the next patch but in the mean time I will try to see if there's anything I can do in the PS3 settings itself.

Good luck to the rest of you who are trying too.

Sorry to hear you are having the same problems Boon88.

For me things just get more strange and inconsistant. I'm continuing to use the linksys router that I have borrowed.

Various searches on the net suggested setting the DNS server entries manually on the PS3 to either generic DNS servers on the net, or ones that your ISP uses. I have done this, setting them to my ISP ones and also ensured the router had them configured too, rather than "download automatically from the ISP". Some posts also suggest opening certain ports, but I didn't do that at this stage.

Anyway, the over the weekend my "test" XviD video played for a good 20-30 mins, with no disconnections. Feeling positive, I decided to re-share out (via WMP11) my pictures and music again. (Note: After the wmdb clear out, in my earlier post, I shared out video only for testing purposes ). The pictures were accessible with no disconnections from the media server. :clap: I ran a slide show of around 300+ photos, and it just didn't miss-a-beat...no disconnections, no dlna errors, nothing. :clap: :confused:

I need to play around some more to see if the DNS entries made the difference. Why they would, when I am streaming on a LAN and not from the WAN/internet I do not know.

I should also revert back to my old router keeping the DNS entries on the PS3 to see if the errors come back.

Cheers

AL

Good to know that your settings have worked for you AL B.

I have tried your method before but proved futile. However, I am using TVersity instead of WMP to stream my videos, songs and pictures to my PS3. There were times when like you there were no problems to play 20 - 30 minutes videos but if Iwere to try to play another video immediately after that, I will get the media error 80710092 or 2104 or something like that.

For TVersity, I have opened my port for it but it proved to be a dead end as well.

At this point, I really do think it was due to the firmware upgrade which made the drivers for the wireless network unreliable. Right now, I'm just hoping for a new release of the new firmware, 2.50 and 2.52 hasn't done anything good for me in terms of media sharing. All previous firmwares posed no issues.

My PS3 is the 40GB from Singapore, not sure if that makes any difference. Maybe changing the hard disk and flashing it with an earlier firmware would help. Will need to ponder on that resolution should the next firmware upgrade does not solve it.

Cheers.

P.S. Found a site which may or may not solve the problem but I will give it a go once I get back from work. Please do post a follow up on the result if you tried. Here's the link; http://maikelv.be/blog/2007/10/27/ps3-and-linksys-wrt54g-the-solution-2/

Last edited:
Hi Boon88,

Thanks for the link, but it is something that I have already tried.

I've always had uPnP switched off on my router, Belkin, as Vista seemed to play havoc with the router when uPnP was on. During the network identification/discovery on Vista, it caused the router reset in some way, which kicked-off any other clients, e.g. the wife! So to save any hassle, I also switched it off on the Linksys.

Tried some more photo browsing last night. Just to see if things are really fixed, or whether the other day was just a fluke.

One thing that I have noticed is that if the PC is just booted-up, with no one logged in, connecting to the media server from the PS3 and browsing the folders is painfully slow. This results in the DLNA 2104 error over and over again, on each folder opening, waiting for the picture icons to display or opening a picture etc. However, once I am logged in to the PC, the PS3's ability to browse the folders shared by WMP is speeded up significantly, with almost no DLNA 2104 errors. (note: everything is still wireless, PC & PS3)

So, how strange is that! :eek:

I know that the WMP Network Sharing Service runs under the bult-in Network Service account. When I log into the PC, I log in as me, which is an admin account. But me being logged in to the PC *should not* affect the performance of the WMP Network Sharing Service IMO. Unless me being logged in starts some other related services? It's very strange behaviour.

I may try and create a dedicated account for the WMP Network Sharing Service which is a member of the Administrators group, or use Local System, to see if performance is improved when no one is logged on at the PC.

AL

Hi Al B,

I've managed to fix the problem I think. Well firstly, I think it may be due to the closed ports but I haven't deduced that part yet. For me, I just port forwarded all the ports on my PS3, 1 - 65535. Not a very good from a security stand point I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures. :p

The other thing I did was to increase the IP Filter Settings so TCP timeouts aren't too short. Okay, let me brief you abit my router first. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1. However, I've flashed it using dd-wrt. If your router/modem supports dd-wrt, use it! I highly recommend it.

Anyway, because I do utilise alot of P2P, it was mentioned somewhere that I should decrease that value, it was initially scheduled to timeout at every 3600 seconds interval but I changed it to 90. So I went back to default and it's all working good now... so far.

Let me know if this works for you, it has for me.

Oh yeah, I've increased the the value of the maximum ports from 1024 to 2048. The default value was 4096 but it's advisable not to use the limit.

Boon88,

Thanks. I've never heard of DD-WRT so will have a read. I found the DD-WRT page which mentions router slow-down (Router Slowdown - DD-WRT Wiki).

With the Linksys router being borrowed, I'm unlikely to flash that, but might try it on the Belkin.

Cheers

AL

Hi Al B,

Let me know how it goes. Though last night's experiment went well, more tests are still needed.

Good luck on your side.

Last edited:
Hi Al B,

Any luck so far.

For my case, it has worked without any error for 2 separate videos with a total run time of 1 hour 23 minutes.

Please do try my earlier recommendation and see if it works for you too.

Cheers.

Hi Boon88,

I haven't looked at it since my last post.

One thing I have had to do though is give back the Linksys router I had borrowed. Which is a shame. So I'm back on my old Belkin F5D7630uk4a.

Hopefully over the weekend, I'll have a try at the wireless streaming again, with the PS3 configured with manually entered DNS servers. Just to see if the streaming is more reliable, with the DNS server entries in place, like it was on the Linksys.

Cheers

AL

Hi, I am new to this, but I use my PS 3 for streaming from my PC using windows media player 11 since the 2.50 update I have been getting an error on my PS3 'A DLNA Protocol Error (7522) has Occurred' when I try to stream my music, streaming photo's & video's are no problem, has any once come across this one, if so how do you get round it.

That's a new error to me.

What's your PC setup? Also what router you're using? More technical information would be better if you can provide.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom