• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

DLNA Certified Players

jamiecreek

Standard Member
Hi there,

I'm struggling to find any kind of conclusive and exhaustive list of Blu-Ray players that incorproate an implementation of DLNA browsing for playback.

My existing system is an aging 32" CRT with a temperamental DVD player that needs replacing soon. I also use a laptop svideo-out to playback tv shows, films etc, probably more than I watch terrestrial TV anyway.

I can't afford to jump to an HD-TV yet, and probably not within a year, but I can afford to get a blu-ray player when my DVD player finally gives up. However, I obviously can't really benefit from the Blu-Ray quality without the TV (I do have a Yamaha 5.1 amp but now its all 7.1..). To make the upgrade more worthwhile, I want the new player to incorporate DLNA, so that I can remove the laptop from the setup and stream movies from my main desktop instead.

Would it be possible for you all to help me compile a list of blu-ray players that are DLNA certified? The only one I know of is the PS3, but at £300 that seems a bit steep, when I wouldn't use it for games.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Visit Home - DLNA, they have a list that isn't fully up to date but is a good starting point.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
I'm afraid the PS3 is the only one at present.

There were a couple of early Pioneer players (LX70/LX70a) that also supported it, however, none of the current standalone players do.

I think however, that you may well see more support for this in newer players, such as the next gen of Pioneers and possibly Samsungs. So, if DNLA is important to you, I would hold on until the new 2009 players appear providing your DVD player lasts that long. You could always get a dirt cheap supermarket special to tide you over should it pack up quickly.

LanceR

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

I'm struggling to find any kind of conclusive and exhaustive list of Blu-Ray players that incorproate an implementation of DLNA browsing for playback.

My existing system is an aging 32" CRT with a temperamental DVD player that needs replacing soon. I also use a laptop svideo-out to playback tv shows, films etc, probably more than I watch terrestrial TV anyway.

I can't afford to jump to an HD-TV yet, and probably not within a year, but I can afford to get a blu-ray player when my DVD player finally gives up. However, I obviously can't really benefit from the Blu-Ray quality without the TV (I do have a Yamaha 5.1 amp but now its all 7.1..). To make the upgrade more worthwhile, I want the new player to incorporate DLNA, so that I can remove the laptop from the setup and stream movies from my main desktop instead.

Would it be possible for you all to help me compile a list of blu-ray players that are DLNA certified? The only one I know of is the PS3, but at £300 that seems a bit steep, when I wouldn't use it for games.

No but you would use to stream music and movies and play blu ray and view photo's maybe go online and maybe just maybe play a game or 2 sometime in the future... One more thing it is the fastest Blu ray player on the market I have a 550 and a PS3 trust me I know.

LanceR

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

One more thing, It isn't all 7.1 they are the exception not the rule at this time now if you are talking HD audio then your amp may seem a little old now.

jamiecreek

Standard Member
thanks guys.

I had a look at that DLNA-home link, there were quite a few linked from there, but all were new Japanese-only models, like a bunch of Sony's and some new Panasonics.

There was one JVC one on there, but the retarded manufacturer only enabled mp3/wma and jpg playback through DLNA. DivX only through putting in a DVD-R or CD-R into the drive. GOD DAMN!

I will probably manage to wait until end of March/April.. I guess if by then either the PS3 has come out with a model at or around the £200 mark, then I'll go for that. Otherwise I'll just keep my eyes out for new ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom