DLNA 2006 errors

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by mallet, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mallet

mallet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am having trouble getting my PS3 to stream stuff from my PC.
    I use XP with WMP 11, and my PS3 connected via a linksys router.

It used to be fine, but now for some reason whenever I try to connect I get a DLNA 2006 protocol error.

If anyone has any tips for getting round this, it'd be much appreciated.

2. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Have you updated to the latest firmware?

There seems to be a problem since the update.

3. TaNeR_08

TaNeR_08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    same here ! keep getting dlna errors, i can see my musics in wmp11 in ps3 but when i try to play it just says data not supported :(

4. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yep, I get these DNLA servers more often than not. I put this down to streaming from an external hardrive that is connected to my PC.

I've more or less given up on both the PS3 and 360 as a media streamer. The best option I've found is to copy the file over to the HDD and play it locally. Think I'll go down the HDD upgrade route but that's a bit of a mess around really.

5. DaveCHCI

DaveCHCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Guys, not posted for a while been moving house! Oh the joys! I have been searching the net all night regarding this issue DLNA 2006 Media Server error, and I found no actual fixes just suggestions. 4 hours of "tweaking" I have finally got mine working!:clap:

Just to confirm I was only getting the 2006 error no other numbers and I could not see any files/folders.

Firstly here's my setup for contrast to your own. PS3 wired into Netgear wireless router via VirginMedia. My desktop PC is upstairs, connected wirelessly. I have 2x 250gb external HDDs attached to the 500gb PC upstairs with all my Photos/Videos/Music. Now software, I am using WMP11 as my media server and no other software. (Good vids on YouTube on how to set up WMP11 server.) I have a pretty extensive library on WMP 1000+ albums, 100+ full quality DVDs, 50+ compressed DVDs, and about 1000 or so photos.

Now the tricky part, my router being on VirginMedia used DHCP (differing IPs) I had to go into my router settings and set the upstairs wireless PC to static in effect by "reserving" a specific IP, then I put this IP into the DMZ and also I set up port forwarding on this new specific IP too. Quick note, the static IP was a local one eg 192.168.-.-.

Port forwarding settings were found in the WMP help section

Universal Plug and Play – Windows Media Player (TCP 2869)
    TCP

Universal Plug and Play – Windows Media Player (UDP 1900)
    UDP

As far as I understand this shouldn't matter if its in DMZ anyway but hey it works so I'm leaving it alone! Finally it showed up again but was a little slow, rebooted everything and it now works a treat and it is pretty quick even over wireless.

I hope this helps more than just me as I've had loads of help from other members/threads and never really given much back.

6. Bluey VIII

Bluey VIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey guys,

I started getting these messages after the 2.20 upgrade but I've found that as long as the PS3 is booted AFTER the PC has finished booting everything is OK..

Weird, I know! :confused::confused:

7. GlypticMarsh

GlypticMarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey everyone, I have figured this problem out!!!!

It’s not a problem with the PS3 or the new firmware for it. If you check your task manager on your media server you will probably notice that wmpnetwk.exe is consuming lots of CPU cycles and slowing your computer down. Windows media sharing tries to read the files in the directories it monitors before adding it to the library. Because it is trying to access a file that it cant read or is corrupted the service hangs. Most of the time it happens with avi/mpg files. I heard that it happens when you download the Heros. I haven’t ever watched it so I wouldn’t know.

Anyways if you find that file and remove it, then reboot both the ps3 and your media server, everything will start working.

Anyways if you want to say thanks hit me(GlypticMarsh) up on the PlayStation network and say thanks. If you’re someone from Sony or PlayStation, why don’t you credit my PlayStation account with some fundage because I showed everyone that it wasn’t a problem with your latest update.

Kudos! Thanks!
    01-07-2009 07:03 PM

8. cursedmonkey

cursedmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You were spot on. I removed the last three files I put in since the last time I was able to access it, all AVI files. I restarted the mp11 and the PS3 and everything is back up again. Now to figure out which specific file(s) is the issue...

Thanks.

9. budgie111

budgie111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had lots of problems with the DLNA protocol error 2006 ie streming from my PC to my playstayion and after trying everything, resetting my router, changing ports, opening firewalls blar blar blar.After a month of tinkering around i FOUND the issue..... TUD-DAR.....Who the Man ...LOL

As mad as this might sound after the up date for the ps3 there is an error between the the ps3 and pc, in the end all i did was reset my Playstation.

Write down all your ps3 IP numbers ect, then go in to your ps3 system settings go down to ps3 default and reset. This will 100% sort out your DLNA ERROR PROTOCOL (2006)...

THOUGHT ID HELP AS THIS ISSUE IS A NIGHTMARE.....

10. ShaneD1123

ShaneD1123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. IPNicely

IPNicely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i had this problem for ages a while ago and then one day i randomly discovered that it was the codecs on my PC causing the problem. i uninstalled them and everything was gravy, then found an alternative codec pack that wouldnt interfere.

everything is working perfectly now and have been streaming 1080p films daily.

12. ginganinga1972

ginganinga1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone found that this is more of a problem since the 2.7 upgrade? I had been streaming from a Buffalo Terasation, but now getting the DLNA ERROR PROTOCOL (2006) problem :mad:

Although there's another post on the problems with NAS and I can stream from my VISTA 64 PC no problem...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  13. lex87

lex87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm currently using PS3 Media Server.

Streaming videos works fine, but when I access the media library on my PS3, go into 'audio' and try to view 'All Songs' I get the DLNA 2006 error. Previously viewing my music folder and selecting a specific song worked fine but I'd like to be able to shuffle/play randomly all my songs.

Do you think this could be to do with a dodgy file that isn't supported?

14. ginganinga1972

ginganinga1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up putting a 250Gb HD into the PS3 and copying my music and films onto it, didn't solve the problem but was a workaround and is now a backup of all my media too :thumbsup:

15. butchf3565

butchf3565
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot budgie111, this fixed the issue. Saved me alot of time and headaches.

16. hbrossault

hbrossault
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it worked perfectly!!! just moved the files the wmp11 wouldn't play to a different folder and deleted them from the library. thanks!!

17. scaryhalo

scaryhalo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to the above, two PS3's on the network cause this DNLA error but only when accessing the Music folder from a WHS2011 box. Strange! :confused: