1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dlink DSM-320 Media player issues

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by asibley, Jan 21, 2005.

1. asibley

asibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I recently bought a dsm-320 media player. Installation was easy and within minutes I was streaming video, photos and music to my tv/amplifier.

The problem I am having is the way the firmware is handling my ripped CD collection (Windows media files).

The software should categories my music into albums, genres, artists etc. Howver, under each of these categories I just get the word 'Others' on selecting this I just get a complete list of every track I have ripped. This makes it really difficult to select the music I want to listen to.

I have tried contacting Dlink via the web and over the phone but they have not been able to help me. They don't know when a new firmware release will be, pathetic support.

I have tried using Microsoft media connect and have had slightly better luck but when using that photos are not displayed.

Getting really frustrated with it. Mainly because it abviously does what it should but not in the way it should and the way the documentation and marketing describes.

A great product being let down by dodgy firmware and appalling support.

Online media is supposed to be support but it just tells me the service is not available also.

Any ideas anyone?

2. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Its a while since you posted this but heres my experience with the dsm320.

I think its a great product - when its working!. One day it works fine the next day it either refuses to find the server, or refuses to open any folders. It takes several attempts to get it going correctly. Some days I just give up and revert to playing CD's.

I recently upgraded the software to version 1.07 and now it refuses to list by artists name. It just lists ABBA (obviously the first alpahbetically) and OTHER.

Tech support on the dlink web site is a complete waste of time.

I have been considering upgrading to the dsm 520 which allows direct connection of a usb drive, but I'm reluctant to do this because of the problems with the 320.

I would appreciate feedback from any other 320 users.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,486
    Try downloading TVersity from www.tversity.com . I have used it to allow me to stream various file types that are not supported by the standard Dlink software and it's great.