• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

dLAN® 200 AV, netgear router. Can I set up so PC auto picks best wireless signal

compact

Standard Member
Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find it in the FAQ or search.

I'm setting up dLAN® 200 AV wireless, at my parents house.
Netgear Router (came with Talk Talk)
dLAN® 200 AV (1 connected to the router by cable, the other serving wireless in the kitchen).
Connecting wired or wireless works fine.

The next question/puzzle, can I set things up so when you walk from room to room the PC/Android/iphone automatically switches to the strongest wireless signal?
At the moment I have to reconnect when I move.

Cheers

drummerjohn

Prominent Member
Two ways. Set the same SSID on both wireless APs\routers etc.

OR

add both wireless profiles of the routers to your devices - they should automatically switch if loss of connection.

compact

Standard Member
Cheers
Do you set even set channel to the same? or auto on both.
On the router it's 11 on the AV plug it's Auto.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Same SSID in each AP (should) roam faster than multiple SSID defined on each client. It depends a bit on the clients (clients make the decisions about when/if to roam, not the AP's.)

Basically all the wi-fi "settings" (SSID, security, passphrase, etc.) need to be the same on both AP's except the radio channel.

Radio channels should preferably be different and non-overlapping (whether you use same SSID or not.) Choose two channels from the set 1,6,11 and set both AP's to "20MHz" mode (ie not channel bonded) for least interference. For such a small network I wouldn't use auto-channel setings, but it might be worth having a wonder round with a PC running InSSIDer fro time to time to vindicate the channel choice. (See Wifi FAQ here.)

40MHz (channel-bonded) modes need so much frequency bandwith that it's impossible to find enough channels to not have interference between the two zones if both are 40MHz. OK, this means lower headline link rates (ever erroneously referred to as "speed") but might paradoxically give you better service because reduced interference means less retransmits of corrupted traffic.

For phones it's a bit of a moot point anyway as lots of smartphone devices only have a single antenna and aren't capable of the faster link rates "40MHz" mode avails.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom