Dji Mavic Mini

Craig3101

Novice Member
I have passed my CAA test and got a new DJI Mavic Mini and wanted to know if I would be able to fly it when the law changes or would it be better to return it and get a different drone?

McNab

When the law changes the Air 2 will be in the same position as the mini. Neither is approved under the proposed rules and will only be allowed to fly in very limited places.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
When the law changes the Air 2 will be in the same position as the mini. Neither is approved under the proposed rules and will only be allowed to fly in very limited places.

agree , proposed though , not cast iron , and let's be honest , how many people know that rules even exist , and if they do , do they even care .......

Craig3101

Novice Member
Have the new rules be set in stone or is there change's in the pipeline that could put the mini and other small drone into a new category?

Last edited:

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
my understanding is the weight of the mini will still allow it to fly in more places that a heavier drone - test/license rules will be the same though

coldpenguin

Standard Member
The quoted weight is 249 G.
Which means that according to the current proposal, Annex D to CAP1789, it can be classed for A1:
Fly over uninvolved people, but not over crowds
Legacy (placed on market before 1 Jul 22)
<250g ‘flying weight’
It requires registration as it has a camera. This doesn't have an end date

Over 250g (so the HS720 I was looking at) is A1
No intentional flight over uninvolved persons
A1 Transitional (Article 22)
<500g ‘flying weight’
Not after 30 Jun 22
and then after 30 June 22, it would appear to be only A3 that the drone can be flown in (unless you do the competency course, which looks to cost more than double the drone:
- No uninvolved people present within the area of flight
- No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas
Legacy (placed on market before 1 Jul 22) <25kg ‘flying weight’

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Been reading this is not the case anymore , and the other changes won't be before November .....

coldpenguin

Standard Member
@paulyoung666 Where have you read that? Is it a source that can be trusted? The information I posted above was copied from the CAA website as I wrote it. The document I am taking this from is the April 2020 one, which is adjusted for the 'November slip' due to coronavirus.
This revision also introduces a minimum 4-month postponement of the applicability of the Implementing Regulation (to ‘not before’ 1 November 2020) as a consequence of the ongoing disruption caused by the Coronavirus/COVID19 outbreak.

I am very interested to know, as I had 'decided' upon the HS720, but am thinking I might have to go for something smaller.

-- edited to include the quote

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom