DJI Mavic Mini

porkchoplambchop

Established Member
Reaction score
This looks incredible, the size of an iPhone 11 and 30mins run time, ok it's not 4k but from the reviews I have read it's plenty good enough for the hobbyist.

Also interesting that it weighs under 250g which means no registration required. (which is probably a subject for debate)

It has a camera, so will need registering next year when the law changes.

I see there is loads of review videos on Youtube already regarding the new Mavic Mini . Must admit it looks OK and video footage looks spot on . I've been watching some of the video's over the last few days . The software is basic , I dont think you can alter the exposure. etc but it's ideal for a light mobile drone to carry around wherever you go.

I’ll be interested to see how it copes in moderate wind. Not much use if you live near the coast

It is incredible how technology moves forward. Would you imagine a few years ago that there will be a mobile size drone capable of doing this footage? Honestly, that's awesome.

I think we may see more pocket sized drones in the future . I dont see however a need to produce a drone to be sold under the legal weight limit . If it takes off and flys using a remote ,then it's still capable of doing damage to a person or property. I think , if there is a compulsory registration for drones then it should be all drones regardless of weight. But , then again I would'nt see the need to register something like a Syma 5 for instance . So, what about a drone that is capable of flying more than 300m and has GPS . I think the law may change pretty quickly.

My son who lives in the US is coming over for a visit in December and is bringing his Mavic Mini. Does he need to be registered to fly it in the UK?

Hi there, first post and all! :)

I've just purchased a Mavic Mini, basically I did choose this because one, I'm not going to be a frequent flyer, two, because of that, it would save me the faff of the new reg's being introduced and three, well, I wont need all the bells and whistles that, say, the Spark offers!

Anyway, as I see it, because the Mini is less the 250g, I dont need to do any tests, or plonk stickers with numbers all over, I just got the impression I'd have to follow the code of conduct when flying it.

But, just to be safe, and legit, there isnt anything I need to do is there, I'm not missing anything, like, I dunno, say, register to say I own a drone (with a camera)... I just dont want to be missing anything so any advice would be great! :)

Dabz

As far as the new drone regulations go , you dont need to do anything . As the Mavic Mini is below the required weight , no registration , no sticker .......for now! I would say "plonking stickers with numbers all over" would be a good idea. I've allways put a sticker on my drones , it contains my phone number , addy etc incase of a flyaway. I would rather have it returned if possible rather than lose it completely.

Ah, right! :)

Champion, thanks very much rickyt, much appreciate it, and yeah, good idea on the sticker front, I never thought of that! ;)

Dabz

I was concidering a 18m old Mavic Air with flymore kit for £575 Now seen this and unsure. If I got the Mini I would get it with the Flymore combo which is £465. So is the air worth an extra £110. I know it does 4K and has obstacle avaoidance but flught time is 20mins compared to 30

As far as the new drone regulations go , you dont need to do anything . As the Mavic Mini is below the required weight , no registration , no sticker .......for now! I would say "plonking stickers with numbers all over" would be a good idea. I've allways put a sticker on my drones , it contains my phone number , addy etc incase of a flyaway. I would rather have it returned if possible rather than lose it completely.

The Mavic Mini is 249g - put an address sticker on it and it may become liable for registration :)

Personally I think the 250g threshold is a bit silly - don’t think there should be a threshold at all. I imagine the CAA thought that those under 250g would just be toys with limited performance. I don’t think they comprehended just how capable sub 250g machine will be.

And no mistaking, even DJI admit that the Mavic Mini has been design with beating the regulations - expect many more to follow.

Cheers,

Nigel

Lets be honest the test is very easy and registration is only £9 for 3 years

I agree. Just a little peeved. I don’t multi-rotors (what the public and media think of as drones) or FPV. I fly fixed wing and helicopters, line of sight, at a BMFA affiliated flying club and am registered and insured through the BMFA.

For the 30 years I have been doing the hobby I have had to fly within BMFA regulations which mandate accordance with CAA regulations. I fly solely at a flying field which is a long way from airports, towns, roads etc. certainly much further than I can see. I have always flown well under 120m altitude because I have to maintain line of sight at all times and at that height I would not be able to see it.

And yet I, like many, have been caught up in the drone registration - yes I appreciate that it is only £9 a year but even so it seems so unnecessary on top of the £38 I pay to the BMFA.

And yes I will register and take the test.

Just a little peeved about having to do this because of irresponsible (or unaware) pilots, who now have a way of escaping what has been forced upon the rest of us.

It’s not the money, nor have to take an idiot test, it is the stupidity of the scheme.

Cheers,

Nigel

If you're considering the Mavic mini to be honest I'd wait a little while. There are a lot of issues with shaking video footage in the first batch to be released. Although it's not happening on all of them there are a lot of people having issues. Hopefully it'll be solved with firmware updates but if it's a problem with the hardware they will be having a lot of returns.

If you're considering the Mavic mini to be honest I'd wait a little while. There are a lot of issues with shaking video footage in the first batch to be released. Although it's not happening on all of them there are a lot of people having issues. Hopefully it'll be solved with firmware updates but if it's a problem with the hardware they will be having a lot of returns.
Not noticed this on mine, must be a lucky one

I am taking mine out today so will watch for the problem

no problems that I can see

Last edited:
My son who lives in the US is coming over for a visit in December and is bringing his Mavic Mini. Does he need to be registered to fly it in the UK?

I would have thought not if it is under 250g. But then it is only £9.

I purchased a Mavic Mini and found the Fly app doesn't run on my phone. Tech support is saying Android 6 or above is required but only supported on Samsung and Huawei phones. In other words, the expensive phones. Is anyone successfully running their Mini via a more affordable phone?

Not sure if you class the Samsung A50 as a more affordable phone but works ok on that

Thank you, petrolhead. The A50 is somewhat more affordable. I don't understand why Samsung tablets wouldn't support the Fly app, but that's due to me not knowing the differences between the two types of hardware. There must be some kind of difference that prevents the app from running on the tablet's o/s, I imagine.

Thank you, petrolhead. The A50 is somewhat more affordable. I don't understand why Samsung tablets wouldn't support the Fly app, but that's due to me not knowing the differences between the two types of hardware. There must be some kind of difference that prevents the app from running on the tablet's o/s, I imagine.
The fly app only supports 64bit OSs.

So, I've become quite interested in getting a mini lately despite having a spark already

I know all the reviews talk about the fantastic video quality, but I'm more interested in it for taking stills and this side of things is rarely mentioned. Does anyone know if the mini is better for stills than the spark? I've looked at the specs for both and resolution seems just a few pixels more on the mini

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom