Question DJI Mavic Mini vs Phantom 4

Memeki

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma right now. Can you please help me?

I'm about to go off to a holiday and I need a drone by next week. I live in the UK. Would you recommend buying:

1. second hand DJI phantom 4 (the basic version) from my cousin for 400 pounds?

2. A second hand phantom 4 Pro from my cousin for 750 pounds?

3. The new mavic mini FROM Currys pc world with 3 batteries for 460 pounds?

I'm on a bit of a budget and I don't think number 2 is worth 750.

Its very important for me that I don't loose video signal as far as possible and I'm looking to purchase a signal booster (that goes on the controller to direct the signal) as soon as I decide which drone to purchase.

Which drone performes better in urban areas?

Is it worth purchasing the Phantom 4 in 2020? Concidering it's more than 3 years old?

I know the size of the phantom 4 is multiple times the mavic mini but I'm. Willing to put up with size if it means better range and signal.

I know the mavic mini has a CE (Europe) version and a FCC (American) that flies multiple times further.

The mavic CE cannot be hacked to change to FCC becuase it's hardware coded.

Does anyone know if the phantom 4 CE can be changed to FCC?

Thanks alot in advance. Your advice would mean the world to me :)

Aren’t CE and FCC just the certifying agencies for the different countries/regions. Doesn’t mean the product is any different, just that those tor sale in the US are certified by the FCC and those for sale in Europe by the CE.

Cheers,

Nigel

The Mavic Mini uses 2.4Ghz wifi and suffers poorer range and is reduced more quickly by obstructions so I wouldn't consider it if range is important, same goes for the DJI Spark and DJI Mavic Air which use the same system.

I'd be looking for a Mavic 1 Pro which has the better Occusync transmission system unlike the Air, Spark and Mini but it's a far more practical size, it's much smaller and lighter and folds up small with a neat little controller as well. The Phantoms are big heavy drones and I don't think are that viable for carrying on holiday.

The only reason I'd consider a Phantom 4 Pro is if you really need the better image quality from its 1in sensor but can't stretch to the Mavic 2 Pro although even then I decided to stick with a M1P initially because the Phantom was just too big.

Aren’t CE and FCC just the certifying agencies for the different countries/regions. Doesn’t mean the product is any different, just that those tor sale in the US are certified by the FCC and those for sale in Europe by the CE.

Cheers,

Nigel

The DJI drones can operate at higher power levels when in FCC mode I assume due to the US allowing higher levels, I believe it's possible if you're in another territory to change the Mavic Pro series to 'FCC' mode although it's not something I've looked into myself as it's illegal to fly outwith VLOS here. If you look at the specifications you'll see the separate numbers for CE and FCC:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)2.4GHz
FCC:<=26 dBm; CE: <=20 dBm; SRRC:<=20 dBm; MIC:<=18 dBm
5.2 GHz
FCC:<=23 dBm
5.8 GHz
FCC:<=23 dBm; CE <=13 dBm; SRRC: <=23 dBm; MIC: -

Max Transmission DistanceFCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km)
SRRC Compliant: 2.5mi (4 km)
MIC Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom