Django Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Jun 15, 2010.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +445
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 15th June 2010.
      Django swaggers on to Blu-ray, dragging not so much a coffin behind it as its tail between its legs. Glorious cover art aside, this is a troubled and, at times, downright ugly transfer. The reasons for this seem to be quite confusing and I wouldn't want to accuse such a valiant crusader for low budget niche exploitationers as Blue Underground of putting out sub-standard material. That is most assuredly not in their remit. But Django is a frustrating visual experience in hi-def. There are times when it looks glorious, but times when it looks utterly ghastly. However, getting past the frozen noise fields, you will find lots more detail, much stronger colours and a more robust and revealing image. The audio does not exactly set the world on fire, but it is worth applauding BU’s decision not to embellish the disc with any needless and unwanted surround tracks.

The extras are an equally eclectic selection. The interview section is on the money, the vintage Spaghetti overview a wacky one-off that I'm still not sure wasn't just Hollywood attempting to pour scorn over the filmmaking trend that had already pulled the rug from under its own feet and had been luring-in cult actors and helping to make them superstars. The little Franco Nero gunslinger pop-video is just as bizarre, but worth a squinty-eyed look.

Will fans want to upgrade to this version? Of course they will. Blue Underground's boast that this is Django as you've never experienced it before is perfectly valid. Those stinging instances of maze-patterns of frozen noise are peculiarly unsightly, but there is plenty here to savour, nonetheless. And the film is an excessive, jacked-up, overblown riot of violence, black humour and iconic machismo that remains as irresistible and as indulgent as ever.

This coffin is filled with neither gold nor ammo, and there will be many who may feel cheated by a perplexing transfer … but this is Django on Blu-ray. Amen, brother.

Read the full review...

2. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +554
      Suberb review, this is a good example of why AV Forums is the first place to come to for Blu-Ray reviews. I'm not technically competent to comment on the PQ and some of the noise I was seeing in interior shots did look irritating so I used the cinema setting on my Sony TV - this seemd to tame the noise. For a 1960s movie I have to say I thought it looked spectacular, just wish The Wild Bunch looked so bright and new, let alone TGTB&TU ! But take Chris McEneany's points well into consideration if you're going to buy this because he is a million miles more qualified than me at commenting on the PQ.