• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DJ Hero - Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
It looks like the long-rumored DJ Hero will make it out to stores later this year, according to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

Bobby Kotick said:
We have this product called DJ Hero coming out later this year, which is a turntable that you actually can play competitively and spin discs and mix songs.

DJ Hero is rumored to come packed with a turntable controller, featuring three rhythm buttons, a cross-fader and various sound-effects dials.

Not sure how well this will work in practice, can't see it being as popular as the Guitar Hero series.

sparced

Established Member
Dance music has too many genres for this to have any popularity. Ten years ago, 1999 when commercially successful Trance and Progressive House compilations filled the shelves. The whole scene was booming you could of whacked an endorsement of Oakenfold, Sasha, Van Dyk etc and got a big money earner but not today.

I've stopped visiting Boomkat and Smallfish independent online record shops weekly for the last 18 months and just pick up the old album from tried and tested artists/labels. The decline has reached an all time low as far as I'm concerned, spend more time subscribing to YouTube channels listening to classic Chicago House, Detroit Techno, Old School Electro and Italo Disco.

How it will work, absolutely no idea. Beat matching and waiting for the current record to nearly end before you mix in the next track wouldn't work. The peripheral will have to be just as cheap as the guitar and what does that have four buttons. If you have any interest in getting started just download Ableton Live and play about with your MP3 library.

Zeromajor

Prominent Member
Dance music has too many genres for this to have any popularity. Ten years ago, 1999 when commercially successful Trance and Progressive House compilations filled the shelves. The whole scene was booming you could of whacked an endorsement of Oakenfold, Sasha, Van Dyk etc and got a big money earner but not today.

I've stopped visiting Boomkat and Smallfish independent online record shops weekly for the last 18 months and just pick up the old album from tried and tested artists/labels. The decline has reached an all time low as far as I'm concerned, spend more time subscribing to YouTube channels listening to classic Chicago House, Detroit Techno, Old School Electro and Italo Disco.

How it will work, absolutely no idea. Beat matching and waiting for the current record to nearly end before you mix in the next track wouldn't work. The peripheral will have to be just as cheap as the guitar and what does that have four buttons. If you have any interest in getting started just download Ableton Live and play about with your MP3 library.

Don't take this the wrong way but that sounded quite jaded and more concerned about your own personal opinion than the overall popularity of dance music at the moment - which since the advent of ableton/serato and other dance-oriented apps has increased a great deal in recent years.

Electro's still huge - although peaking well into mainstream, then you've got hardstyle/jumpstyle, minimal, massive drum & bass nights, dubstep, psy and even vocal trance is making a club comeback.

Anyway this is going well off topic but your response jumped out at me - I needed to reply as a producer & avid listener of electronic music I think a product like DJ Hero will only help to increase sales of existing music and showcase new talent in the same way that Guitar Hero/Rockband have with rock & alt music.

I'm also interested to see how 'dumbed down' they'll make the experience in the same respect, i'm a fan of the beatmania games which didn't profess to be a simulation and were great fun becuase of it.

Stavros83

Standard Member
I don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this game posted around the web when it hasn't even been released yet?

I don't know if its people woried that this will spell the end of guitar hero editions or whether they just dont like Dance/Hip-Hop music?

Personally, I think it's an interesting idea and I'm looking forward to getting on the decks in October. :cool:

Stavros83

Standard Member
Believe it's due out in October sometime but no fixed date that I know of.

Stavros83

Standard Member
According to IGN there looks to be a limited edition version of this game containing more tracks from Eminem and Jay-Z.

[email protected]

Prominent Member
Holy cow .. even with shopto discount for preorder this is gonna be close to £100 !!!

sorry but I doubt this is gonna sell at that sort of price....certainly not for me anyway.

phairplay

Distinguished Member
I agree it's over priced.
I was thinking more around the £70 mark. you can buy rock band for less than £100 :thumbsdow

MooMooCow

Established Member
Holy cow .. even with shopto discount for preorder this is gonna be close to £100 !!!

sorry but I doubt this is gonna sell at that sort of price....certainly not for me anyway.

:) you will see some people wil buy this even if it's overprice, GHWT band very close price so as well. I probably pass because the turntable look very plain :( compared to konami one so beatmania iidx i'll will stick with. You probably see the prices lowered during december :hiya:

Stavros83

Standard Member
Amazon have this listed at £89.99 with a release date of 30th October. This is despite the initial claim that it should retail for the £120.00 price tag.

Personally thnk Amazon have got it right and may be worth a pre-order at that price incase it goes up later.

Stavros83

Standard Member
Just read an article on digital spy stating that DJ Jazzy Jeff will be a playable character in the game and has provided two mixes for the game also.

It gave a release date of simply November. Wish theyed make they're mind up as I want to book a couple of days off for when this comes out. :thumbsup:

phairplay

Distinguished Member
I'm already getting a mate (who is a shopfitter) to build me a collapsible stand to sit this bad boy on :cool: :D

Ben-H

Prominent Member
I'm already getting a mate (who is a shopfitter) to build me a collapsible stand to sit this bad boy on :cool: :D

No need to get someone to build a stand, check this badboy out!!

Stand...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/07/dj-hero-renegade-edition---stand.jpg

Loving the look of this...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/07/dj-hero-renegade-edition---turntable.jpg

Comes in a nice little carry case too , link to a few more pics - DJ Hero goes renegade with premium edition turntable, DJ stand

Stavros83

Standard Member
The deck does look better in black and bronze but I dont think it's worth that much more. The Em/Dre CD will probably be worth a lisen but not sure there enough here to make me spend that much more over what could be an already high price tag.

If amazon are retailing the normal package for £90, then this will probably be around £125-£150!!!

Stavros83

Standard Member
Still counting down the days until this game comes out. There's an interesting video on IGN which shows a bit more of the games menu's such as picking your character and so on.

Will be interesting to see if the death of DJ AM will effect the game in any way or its content.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
:hiya::hiya:

Jumping on this bandwagon. Cheers Phairplay. :smashin:

May stump up for the stand edition too.

Cant wait.

If my dj'ing is as good as my guitar hero playing then someone online is in for a easy win. :D

I'm sure i read in the recent playstion mag that you can battle with/against guitars. :eek::smashin:

Nuggsy

Established Member
The premium edition is £170 on Amazon!

EDIT
The premium Renegade Edition is £130 on Play.com. I've pre-ordered.

Last edited:

phairplay

Distinguished Member
I can not wait for this game...

I heard they are going to release the track list in a week or two.

and Chalky your right there are tracks that can work side by side with the guitars.

Nuggsy

Established Member
I heard they are going to release the track list in a week or two.

There are quite a few tracks on DJHero.com mate. Well worth a listen - I'm loving the Marvyn Gaye v Gorillaz mix.

Really hope the reviews stack up...

F.Y.I. Amazon is also £130 for the Renegade Edition

Stavros83

Standard Member
Pre-ordered standard edition from play yesterday. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Looking forward to daft punk technoligic vs gary newman cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom