DIYSG volt 8 .....loud?

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by grahamricho, Apr 12, 2019.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    ive just finished my first set of volt 8s for surround side duties.

I have always had dipole speakers so a very diffused sound, never had direct radiating speakers before. They are mounted each side of the listening position around 600mm higher than ear level.
    My room is only 3.2 m wide so your around 1.2 m from a speaker. They are the slanted front ones.

Anyhow I set them up with my auto set up on my Arcam AV888 and played some clips I know and they were very loud and distracting, I got my SPL meter out and the levels were correct?

Even when sat at the front of the room listening to the white noise from each speaker the volt 8 seemed really loud.

I listened to some music concerts which are in dts and know well and instead of adding a bit of depth to the track it totally destroyed the front sound stage as if the volts were equal to the front speakers.

In the end I've had to turn each one down by 2-3db and they sound great now, but before they were so loud....why would this be?

2. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have not broke them in yet, basically finished them and hung them and listened so unless my SPL meter is only picking up the mids? And the bass driver needs a bit of time to warm up and that inturn makes the treble piercing?

3. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    have you measured the speakers themselves?

4. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    With REW ? No not yet

5. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    q is whether they're wired up correctly

SPL meter with noise based tones is reading a band limited pink noise signal so it is only measuring a portion of the frequency range (and an SPL meter can only measure that range anyway)

6. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The crossovers are right and everything else is right. What frequencies does the pink noise produce ?

7. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    how do you know they are right if you haven't measured the speaker?

500Hz - 2kHz is the standard band limited pink noise for a main speaker

8. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi thanks

I bought the crossover PCBs and it would be virtually impossible to put a component in the wrong place. All components are not polarity sensitive, I've double checked everything. The cabling to them is from the last lot and I even checked the polarity of the cable. So everything was spot on. But I will check with REW tomorrow and see the results.

I will post them on here. It is strange how they take over the whole room. I even played some clips and sat away from them so they were not near me, sat near the main speakers and they still sounded loud?

Thanks

9. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    People have still had problems with PCBs due to soldering, you might be a competent solderer of course :) nevertheless measurements don't lie so this is the best way to verify.

As to why they sound loud, is it loud or harsh? Is it on certain tracks or with all content?

10. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I understand, I was a TV service engineer for 10 years in the he CRT days so have done quite a bit of soldering.

They don't sound harsh, they sound very dynamic and I'm sure they would make a half decent main speaker in someone's system.

They just sound too loud, if you heard them you would think they need setting up properly but get a SPL out and they are spot on.

I was having a tweek last night and the mains level is +10 and to get the surrounds sounding good or matched with them they need to be around -3 which is not where the auto EQ put them. I think the eq put the level around +5. Thanks

11. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Ultimately trust your ears so if they need to come down then pull them down a bit, will be interesting to see the measurements anyway

12. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, thanks.

I ain't used REW for a while is there a way to isolate each speaker to measure? I remember using it to measure the main speakers and setting the crossovers for the subwoofers etc but can you just isolate each surround speaker and play a test tone and measure? Thanks

13. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I will measure the other DIYSG htm 12s too. Would be interesting how they measure

14. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,868
    What mains are you running? These are very efficient compared to most commercial offerings and do tend to give a 'big' sound that can dominate other commercial offerings IME. If they sound great when you reduce the volume by 2/3db that's all that really matters I'd say. I run mine at -2db to where the mains are set after running Dirac and that works perfectly for me.

Edit: crossed posts, you have HTM12s so they should blend well. I'd just knock 2/3db off them and enjoy. :)

15. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    I would still expect them to measure similarly, particularly given they are paired with the HTMs (which are also efficient speakers with consistent directivity)

depends how you connect, if using HDMI then you should be able to pick the relevant output channel and the signal will go straight to the specified speaker.

the best way is to pull the speaker out into the middle of the room away from any boundaries and measure it directly from ~1m away but an in room measurement showing each speaker should be good enough to get an idea

16. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm using a old notebook for REW I think I connected a line out /headphone out to a input on the amp and then the mic is a USB UMIK-1.

I've never connected it to my AV processor before, I used to take measurements for my hifi, and used to connect it to my hifi pre amp to a line in. Thanks

17. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just thinking will I be able to use it in a 5.1 set up by just sending a stereo signal from note book headphone socket?

18. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    simplest solution is to swap the wires

19. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    It might simply be need to run them in properly but best to run a frequency swipe on them to see if some frequencies are showing too much gain. The human ear is most sensitive to the human voice and the frequencies around these so if there’s a lift around these then they will appear louder even if overall they are matching the rest.