1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answered DIYSG Fusion 8 Alchemy UK Parts

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Liammonty123, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Hi all, I am considering building 3x the DIYSG fusion 8's but am worried about the shipping and import charges. I can buy the eminence drivers over hear for £60 each, and B&c De10's for £40 each which are the exact same as the denovo DNA-205. My question concerns the crossovers used in the DIYSG speaker. Would this be suitable to use? -
    Eminence PXB2 1K6 2 Way 1.6kHz Crossover
    I can order the EOS 8 wave guide and the slot ports from the website no problem, bringing the total cost to around £500. Is this a good way to go?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Liammonty123, Jun 18, 2017 (1 points)
  3. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
  4. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Best Answer
    I've seen the sale but the speakers are too tall and large (going behind my AT Screen) to fit unfortunately, otherwise I would have snapped them up. Im not that clued up on DIY speakers, could you explain why off the shelf crossovers are no subsitute and how would I go about getting the crossover used in the actual Fusion 8. The emience crossover is actually more expensive that the on used in the fusion? Is it no good? Many thanks for the help!

5. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    Just buy them for the parts and the crossover, throw the boxes away and build your own box to fit. I don't believe there is a way to get the crossover without the kit from diysg.

An off the shelf crossover will be a simple high/low pass filter that does not take account of the actual response is the drivers, the impact of the baffle not any voicing to preference. You will not achieve remotely optimal results that way, i.e. a good crossover is designed to suit a specific speaker.

6. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I emailed DIYSG about the fusion 8's and using Shipito shipping would be around $150 for all 3. This means the total cost would be around £550 which is cheaper than the for sale thread on here. If I bought for parts do you think the dual driver set-up would offer more over the straight fusion 8?

7. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    it will reduce excursion markedly at the lower end. This should be a noticeable benefit though that depends on your listening levels and what you will cross to. What subs do you use?

8. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Currently I have a puny BK XLS200 that I plan to upgrade at a later date. I have a Q Acoustics 7000i package and have deceided these should be upgraded first over the sub. At a later date I plan to build a sealed SI HT-18 sub and crossover at around 80Hz. I like to listen to movies relatively loud (sat 12ft away) but no where near reference levels! I am worried with 2 drivers the cabinets will be too tall for the baffle wall!

9. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    For what is a relatively small amount extra to pay (take with the caveat that I have no idea of your budget), I would go with the dual drivers in that situation. I would think it would be worth it. Remember it also raises sensitivity so you will need less power, it might even save you money on amps :)

10. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Ideally £550 was the budget so I could sell the BK and have a little left for the DIY sub. I'll have a think about the ones for sale and try to model a suitable sized box using dual drivers!

11. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    Have you factored in Vat & Import in that £550 estimate?

12. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    No that's just the baseline shipping rate, many other members have been lucky and not had any import charges or vat. How much import and vat would I be looking at if i was unlucky?

13. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    If there was any way to source a suitable crossover with the b&c de10 and the beta 8a then I would be able to buy them over here without extortionate shipping prices. If anyone could help with this it'd be a big help. Although I'd still have purchase the eos 8 waveguide and the 6 slot ports for diysg albeit they are only 10 dollars each!

14. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
  15. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    Paying tax is not being "unlucky", it is what normally happens so it seems quite unlikely people are avoiding import duty on a regular basis. ie assume you have to pay it when budgeting.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  16. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    For the amount of time you are going to waste trying to cobble together a crossover (XO), just go and buy from DIYSG - stop trying to outsmart them to save a few quid. You will need someone to design, build and test an XO. Great if it works first time (sounds good) but if it doesn't you need to order more XO parts - you could be talking days here. The DIYSG lads just didn't pick XO parts out of their heads, they spent a lot of time selecting the parts, analysing and testing. Swapping out some components for others and so on until they were happy and these guys had years of experience.

Believe me, the amount of time you will spend trying to get all the correct parts together and then building the speaker (even just the baffle) it will be cheaper to just buy direct. A lot of us have been there - looked at the DIYSG site, looked in Europe for the same components and thought we could save a few quid. In the end I guess we either bought direct from DIYSG or bought something off the shelf. It's this simple - if you can't afford to import the kits you want, buy a cheaper kit or something off the shelf. Unless you really know what your doing, assembling an XO is not the solution.

In my case I bought direct from DIYSG and glad I did. Yes it cost a lot in shipping and tax but I haven't a clue about XO's so I was happy to have the parts supplied.

17. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    Ditto here, very easy process all round. Erich's attention to detail is incredible (he even tested the CDs and grouped the two closest together as L&R) as well as unbelievably good packaging. I had Matt (US not UK) build the crossovers for me and Gordy build the enclosures, once again superb standard of workmanship. All sitting here waiting to be assembled. The whole process up to now has been simplicity itself. :)

18. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I wouldn't say I was even remotely trying to out smart the people over at DIYSG, as the many positives reviews about the kits speak for themselves. I was asking if a suitable crossover could be sourced here, at the end of the day who wouldn't want to save money?

19. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I've entered all the relevant info and it's coming out at around 130 quid so about 650 total for the lot which is till cheaper than any UK equilavent alternatives so I'll go ahead with that then! Thanks

20. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    ^^
    Have you included shipping in the tax calculation?

21. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Hi yes thats with the $160 shipping!

22. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Capture.JPG
    If I add them all together £410 + £120 + £128 it comes to a total of £658 which is reasonable considering nothing of the same level can be bought here!

23. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,167
    Hesitantly posting here as I don't want to appear to be promoting my own for sale speakers.

I take it you are at the top of your budget with the £658? Only say that as I reckon if you could afford and fit them in, the HTM-10's look a very nice option.

I started out like you, then decided I wanted a bit more output flitted around between the 893's and mine due to needing a horizontal centre at the time, and the rest is history as they say. If I could turn back the clock I think the HTM's would be my choice.

Obviously more dosh but more capable drivers in both regards and you're less likely to get the upgrade bug.

24. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Hi Mark thanks for the reply, I've been emailing with Erich back and fourth and he seems to think that if I just saved a bit more extra to get the HTM12s which are designed to be shallow mounted (exactly what I need) and give very high output, which as you say may suppress the upgrade bug that possesses most enthusiasts. I have only had my current system a couple of months and keep wanting more and more. Where does it stop?

25. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,167
    Well just something to bear in mind, I haven't had a single offer on mine so far so you do have to factor in the potentially low resale value if you decide to change/upgrade these DIYSG type speakers. That's why I would get the very best you can now even if it means saving a bit.

26. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    That's a good point I hadn't thought about actually, makes me think saving for the 12's would only reap benefits for years to come!

27. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    well we know how that story ends :D

28. 123Toid

123Toid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Crossover design for specific speakers is a very complicated task. It takes into account the speakers RE, sensitivity, as well as all the other T/S specs. They not only crossover the speakers but add in zobels, l-pad and notch filters. A crossover off the shelf does not take any of this into account. That is why a crossover off the shelf cannot and will not work in this application. Honestly, crossovers off the shelf are typically useless by themselves. You definitely need to buy the crossover components from Erich from DIYSG. You could ask him about just getting the crossovers due to your circumstance. He may be willing to do something. The other thing to do, would be to ask the person in the classified how he got his. maybe he knows another way to get the crossovers.

29. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,167
    I doubt he would sell just the crossover. He has to give the designers their royalties which is part of the total price. I know the DE10 is very similar to the dna-205 but they are not identical so that would also affect the crossover.

I won't be revealing all the details of the crossover on mine as its not fair to Eric plus its different anyway having two 8" drivers.

Looks like the op is saving for something better now anyway.

30. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    The HTM-12 are pretty good I hear :)

31. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I've started building my cinema room (thread to come soon) and have built a baffle wall, leaving only 28 cm depth behind the screen, so saving for the HTM-12's is what I will be doing now, as I hear they are great in baffle wall type installations (and any other type of installation). After emailing with Erich it actually works out slightly cheaper buying and shipping from USA, than trying to cobble together a speaker over here. A quick apology if I offended anyone or Erich, this was not my intention and I now understand the months of hard work that go into designing these speakers!