DIYish Projector Lift

A-F

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - I've just finished my projector lift to house my HD65 and having found this forum a great source of info whilst designing and building it thought I would post some images of the results.

up.jpg

down.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo4.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9XzzspUgOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqJ8B5SUDig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwWDOUdbTE

Sorry about the dodgy sound on the first video - stereo playing in the back ground.

Although I made it all myself I did have access to a workshop - which I used mainly to make the Aluminium supports. The motor I got from ebay and is a window actuator used to open and close inaccessable windows. It's powered with an Apple macbook power pack again from ebay and controlled using a DPDT switch. Linear bearing and steel bar are also from ebay.

Thought this might be of interest to someone trying to do a similar thing.

Thanks for fixing the videos.

You are a genius.

I assume this will work in just about any ceiling void.

Please can we have links to the components, some idea of measurements and rough costs?

I guess necessity is the mother of invention. Was it cost or no practical alternative?

Cheers for sharing.
:smashin::smashin:

I love it, you should think of making them for a profit.
I have been looking at the forums for a few months now and would love to get a projector set up somewhere in the house. The girlfriend however isn't so keen so I could end up in the garden with my very own open air cinema lol.

Thanks for the comments.

The actuator I used was this one -

http://www.patent-glazing.com/pdf and Word/ACK42 Data sheet.pdf

I was lucky to find one on ebay but they are quite expensive.

I've put some more images in another thread here -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/1203847-basement-cinema.html

The space between my joists was about 300mm and I had 180mm height so I was really restricted on space.

Costs -

MDF - 8" x 4" sheet, I made the box for my screen out of this too, about = ÂŁ40
Actuator = ÂŁ30 (ebay)
Power pack 24v = ÂŁ10 (ebay)
Linear bearing ÂŁ40 (ebay) - Flange style Closed Linear Bearing LMF25UU ID25mm CNC on eBay (end time 03-Mar-10 17:33:23 GMT)
these are 25mm dia and I used 20mm dia.

10m Hdmi cable - ÂŁ70
Other wires, DPDT switch and electrical connectors (maplin)= ÂŁ50
Plastikote white gloss paint = ÂŁ20

This would work in any space however my HD65 projector is very small so suits this application. I think the key to it was using the actuator which can be adjusted to different lengths from 100mm to about 400mm and is very simple to control because it has only two wires coming out of it and so you just reverse the polarity to make to go up or down. Like this -

HOW TO: Wire a DPDT rocker switch for reversing polarity

My effort -

DSC_0788.jpg

I would really like to make it I.R controlled as it's the only part of my cinema that I can't control from my logitech remote - but it's a bit beyond my electrical knowledge at the mo.

Any more info required just ask.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
class mate

Please tell me there is something to stop your projector falling out if that cable tie breaks between the actuator and bike chain. :eek:

The cable ties were a quick solution so I could test the actuator.

What protects the projector from dust and condensation when it is up into the ceiling.

The basement is below my living room so there is no condensation - well no more than if it was in the room - and nothing protects it from the dust other than it's in box that seperates it from the celling cavity.

That is a really neat design. Equal to some of the professional designs I've seen and more compact.

What type of 20mm shaft did you use? I see the chrome stuff that is recommended by the bearing seller is quite expensive.

Well done.

Hi Cliff, I used 20mm silver steel which cost me about ÂŁ20 total, ideally I should have used something harder, in time the harder bearing surfaces will wear into the bar. The beauty of silver steel is that it isn't so hard that it can't be cut and filed but it can be hardened fairly easily later on. I think a similar projector lift could be built much more simply, but still using the chain actuator.

If anyone is interested in doing a similar thing you are welcome to my CAD files which may not be relevant but might provide some inspiration.

I love your work. :thumbsup:

Is there any mechanical reason I couldn't do a similar build using the actuator vertically (in eave space) attached to the top of the projector cradle?

No reason at all, in fact if you've got the space it would be a much nicer/simpler solution. I think I had about 50mm and the actuator and bracket is about 80mm.

WOW What a brilliant job!, I`m also in the middle of building my own projector lift. I`ve not got mine running yet as i ran into some electrical problems with the motor regulator, but hopefully this will all be sorted by the weekend.

Have a look at mine for a few ideas on how to get it working via Ir remote, If i can ill answer any questions, if i get stuck ill ask my m8 who built the electrical side of it.

Again good job well done :thumbsup:

Brilliant job A-F!!!

Seriously considering doing this myself now! Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Does the actuator lock when the unit is up? Reason I ask, are you worried that over time this may strain the motor as the weight of the projector is trying to pull chain out constantly? (does that make sense???!)

Did the gear that turns to chain to a 45 degree angle come with the actuator or did you buy this from somewhere else? If so do you have a link?

Thanks.

chevm
The actuator doesn't lock but is rated to lift 30kgs which is much more than the assembly weighs - having said that it does play on my mind that if it fails, there is nothing else to stop the assembly falling out. I thought about this alot during construction and originally had oversized buttons on the ends of the steel bars to act as a stop, but I changed the design slightly and couldn't use them - I will at some point put some kind of leash in as a failsafe, mainly for peace of mind. I went through lots of ideas when designing it and originally I was going to just have touch latches and a damper so that when you push the unit up it would slowly fall and hit some stops - so no motor involved, still think this would work well.
The small chain and sprocket I got out of a hoist that is used to lift patients in hospitals - I was going to use the whole mechanism originally but the electrics involved were beyond my capabilities.
If you have room it would be best to use the actuator alone and have no chain and sprocket.

nuff
Good work - your lift looks great.
I think my IR problem is fairly simple but everyone I asked about it seemed baffled. All I need is a 24v IR switch that will reverse the polarity going to the motor, which is all the manual switch does at the moment. I think maybe (?) it can be done with relays using a standard IR light switch but not sure how?!?! Any help greatfully received.

If anyone is interested in doing a similar thing you are welcome to my CAD files which may not be relevant but might provide some inspiration.

Hi.

Great job!

I would love to try and build a similar one...but I need your help. Can you get me the CAD files? I would love them :clap:

My email is mk_melga069 (at) hotmail.com

Also, what is that center thing that redirects the chain 90 degrees? Is it part of the actuator?

Thanks.

Hi Mike, I'm in the process of updating the CAD files - how big is your roof space and projector? If you have enough room you could easily do away with the chain and sprocket setup.

Hi Mike, I'm in the process of updating the CAD files - how big is your roof space and projector? If you have enough room you could easily do away with the chain and sprocket setup.

Hi.

I will have ~20cm of roof space. I don't have the projector yet, but I guess I'll go for an Optoma HD65/HD67.

Your lift is just what I wanted. I don't have thousands to buy a projector lift so I have to build one myself, If I can.

The actuator you mention is something like this?:

Window & Vent - Electric Motor Actuator Chain Operated on eBay (end time 14-Jun-10 21:50:04 BST)

Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom