1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY work for BK amp panel?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nathan_silly, May 21, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've been changing my mind from a passive SVS to a active (due to seperate cost of 2ch amp, ~£1100) however, after seeing this at a very reasonble price I'm decided to go for the passive model again. :laugh:

What work needs doing to get this item working?- does it have a phono input? Speaker connectors? Volume control? IEC power socket? And I guess it'll need to be placed in a box of some sort?

I don't need a crossover, as it'll the processor will handle that (80hz)

Cheers

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nathan

The MF1000 has a connector block on it to connect the mains wiring to, so you will need an IEC mains inlet connector, a volume control an RCA phono and a suitable enclosure to finish the amplifier project.

The speaker outputs are via 1/4 inch spade terminals but it would be best to solder speaker wires direct to these.

The input connections are two vero pins so a soldering iron is essential.

The thing to bear in mind with the MF1000 is that it is 1000W into 2 Ohms, 750W into 4 Ohms and 500W into 8 Ohms.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. That's over my level of experience in electronics. I know the basics, but I might mess it up.

Unless you could finish it off for me, and I'll pay you for the work?

My dad or brother could do it - electronics whizz.. I'll try asking them.

4. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nathan

If you give BK some idea of how large your enclosure is then they can wire the parts ready for you to fit into the enclosure, I dont know how much extra this will cost, you will need to contact sales.

Tom

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom, that BK amp module will be used as a off-board amp - I will not be placing it inside the sub.

It'll be on my racking. So it'll need to be finished off like a monobloc (probably need a covering of some sort over the exposed mains/electronics)

Do you work for BK?

Cheers

6. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not buy the already cased mfx 600 and bridge it?
    fairly easy to do with a DI box wired up the "wrong" way round,should give around 900 watts

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for pointing that out TMH, I didn't checkout the PA link.

The MXF 900 caught my eye (will not bridge) 400W into 4Ohm.

Have you used these standalone amps? Does the fan kick in when pushed hard, or is it on constantly?

thanks

8. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nathan

Yes I do work for BK I think it says so in my profile. Any way the MXF900 runs 450 Per Ch into 4 ohms, BK will fit switchable bridging if you ask, I dont know how much extra this would be.

If you bridge the amplifier you will get 900W into 8 Ohm. The fan switches in at 60 Deg C if worked hard and a thermal switch cuts in at 90 Deg C.

Tom

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Tom... I won't bridge the amp - as I know bridging decreases low current drive. I will leave in normal mode.

Noticed the specs- damping factor of 300.. now I'm not really a techie but I know higher is better. Is there a model with higher DF?

Also how does the bass sound like- for example I've tried a few poweramps in the past. I hate ponderious slow whoompy amps, I prefer taut, punchy amps.

10. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been using bk amps for a number of years and will recomend them to anybody,my olny niggle with then is there not balanced input as standard.
    sound wise there very good,ive used the 450w modules to power some ancient jbl bass bins that would pin you to the wall at 100 yards,certainly not slow by any meens.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok still deciding.. just a couple of questions.

If I buy the MXF 900, I'll only be using one channel for now. Is it poissible to remove power to one channel? (no point having it switched on when I'm not using it)

Also I don't need the LED VU meter's, is there a option of not having them fitted? (and being £20 cheaper)

Oh are the OMP modules the same as the MXF amps, apart from adding a case, inputs, outputs etc?

Thanks

12. BK Electronics

BK Electronics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

The circuit of the modules are exactly the same as the MXF's but the pcb layout is different as there are left and right mirror image boards in the MXF's

The power to the one amp ca be very easily disconneted, the wiring all oes to a junction board at the back of the amp.

The Vu's can be ommitted but then there will e two big holes in the front panel, but I suppose you could mask these up.

Tom