1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diy Vga Lead

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by candg, Sep 9, 2003.

1. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of wiring up my new Plasma screen. It is on the other side of the room from the PC. I have 2 sets of CAT5 cabling going under the oak floor. I need to run a vga lead from the PC to the Plasma screen but need to use the CAT5 cable. My question is?

Can I use the existing CAT5 cable and just solder VGA plugs on both ends of the CAT5...if so is the wiring just pin to pin ie. pin one of one end to pin 1 of other and so on.

Please help if you can

Graham Yeates

2. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of wiring up my new Plasma screen. It is on the other side of the room from the PC. I have 2 sets of CAT5 cabling going under the oak floor. I need to run a vga lead from the PC to the Plasma screen but need to use the CAT5 cable. My question is?

Can I use the existing CAT5 cable and just solder VGA plugs on both ends of the CAT5...if so is the wiring just pin to pin ie. pin one of one end to pin 1 of other and so on.

Please help if you can

Graham Yeates

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Graham

Is this a trick question? If so what's the prize?

You could add a set of CAT5 Video sender/receivers to your installed cable though it'll cost a fair bit to get a system that doesn't destroy the video image.

Have a look at http://www.kat5.tv/ for a low cost solution for Video and Stereo Audio over CAT5 and at Kramer (see below) for VGA Data Video over CAT5 (though be prepared to pay out close to £600 + vat for a system). http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/index5.asp

Best regards

Joe

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have to get up early to do this to Joe, but I've used these in a similar situation. Did the business for me, would consider using them in a whole house patch board distibution system. I did it for a bookie's head office! $179 per pair, + vat and carriage and anything else the excise boys can come up with, but it's way less than Kramer.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    MAW

Looks good - though only 1 left in stock and I'll bet not CE approved (so I couldn't possibly supply them!).

For me Kramer seems very low cost when compared to our other AV Interface solutions but as you say still a fair amount of cash - there must be other lower cost solutions out there.

Joe

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Graham,

Have a look at RGBHV over shielded Cat 5 success!

(not tried this myself yet)

You really need shielded cat5 for this, but would be worth a try.

The baluns that Maw mentions look good for the price, if there is no way to get a new cable under the floor.

If you can get under the floor, then a Better cables VGA cable would be the best 'high performance' choice.

If anyone has a reel of shielded cat 5, I would like to buy 10 metres or so for experiments :)

Mark.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One I had was CE marked. I may use this for my latest project, where that won't matter, and let y'all know if they're legit for installers still.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Cat 5 cable isn't really suitable for carrying the RGBHV video signal, you can always try it though. I'm not ure of the pin outs.

You can however get boxes that will convert RGBHV to be sent over a Cat 5 cable. Not cheap mind.

9. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. I need to be ablt to use the existing cabling rather than go the wireless route due to signal degredation. Surely it is possible to just solder VGA plugs to both ends of the lead. Anyone any idea of pin configurations for these plugs ?

Graham

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Graham,

Wireless?

no one has mentioned wireless?

The pinouts you need are in the first page of that link I provided.

HD-15 pin Cat 5 color
    -------------------------
    1. Red + Orange
    2. Green + Green
    3. Blue + Blue
    6. Red - (aka GND) Orange stripe
    7. Green - (GND) Green stripe
    8. Blue - (GND) Blue stripe
    10. Ground (GND) shield wire.
    13. H sync Brown
    14. V sync Brown stripe

It's important to follow those colours, as you are using a twisted pair as a coax, so random wire colours to pins will not work !

Mark.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The point of that thread on AVS forums was that cat5 is 100 ohm, video is 75 ohm cable. You get serious degradation if you just solder the plugs on. That's the secret of the 'baluns', they compensate for the difference. You will still get a picture your way, It'll just be s****, which defeats the object. If you need to save money consider using the s-video baluns, they're cheaper, and the results will be leagues ahead of soldering plugs onto Cat5

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Graham

If your worried about signal quality use one of your CAT5 runs to pull a decent quality VGA cable though to the display - your compromising your system using CAT5 as a video cable whatever way you go.

And what chance of the CAT5 to BNC interface not continually falling apart - with a decent quality VGA cable you must ensure you use the matching BNC connectors; I certainly wouldn't expect a BNC to stay in place on a CAT5 for very long.

The first time you accidentally move your kit the whole lot is liable to come to bits.

I'd be tempted to make up a test cable at 5.0m with CAT5 and view it side by side with a VGA cable to see how they look.

Joe

13. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Joe,

Graham wants VGA plugs,

If Graham needs BNC, then no chance at all with Cat 5 .

Pulling a new cable in sounds the best way.

Has anyone actually tried soldering 15 pin VGA plugs to Shielded Cat 5, maybe 10 metres in length, and comparing to a VGA cable of same length?

If I can find some cable I will make one to try.

If Amp/Tyco go to the trouble to make a connector, (PDF file) I doubt it is that bad over 10 Metres or so.

Mark.

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has anybody tried to solder a VGA connector? Not the easiest thing in the world to do....

Buy a 10m VGA lead! Yes, you could see about using Baluns, or even the excellent Kat5 units from Keith Doxey (for SCART), but honestly, the easiest solution is to buy a VGA lead.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'll request it. I can only move things out of DIY at the moment.

16. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I bought a reel of sheilded Cat5 some while back with a view to trying this (Mark..if you're still interested I'd be happy to sell you 10m or more..PM me) and burnt my way through 3 VGA connectors trying to solder them on...my soldering skills are not the best, but this is VERY hard to do.

I go with the 'buy a VGA cable' recommendation.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

Regards

17. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I made my own 5 metre component to VGA cable using STP (shielded CAT 5) and it works perfectly. Don't see why VGA to VGA shouldn't also work. Incidentally, Ian, you can get crimp pins for VGA (HD 15) shells from Maplins. Just crimp the pins onto the cable and push through the VGA shell - a lot easier than soldering those tightly packed pins!

Mark refers to a link on the AVS forums and this is where I got most of my information. The reason for using shielded CAT 5 rather than standard UTP is (allegedly) that the impedence is closer to 75 ohms.

STP is dififcult to source in quantities less than 100m so I bought a couple of 10m STP patch cables and cut the ends off.