1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY VGA Cable (RGBHV)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by StooMonster, Apr 15, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I may need another VGA cable for my AV setup; thinking about introducing a PC, which will plug into VGA pass-though on my iScan Ultra.

For the iScan Ultra to plasma, I bought 3 metres of BetterCables Silver Serpent VGA which is excellent, but expensive.

I am wondering if there is a DIY alternative for a 0.5 or 1 metre length?

Could I use five 75ohm coax cables and solder them to two hd15 male VGA connectors; connecting all the shields to earth. Or would this be impossible?

Anyone tried anything similar?

StooMonster

2. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster, I haven't tried it myself, but this seems to be what they do for their cables, i'd bet that a few runs of low loss sat cable would do the trick quite well.

I'm not even slightly techie when it comes to cabling though, so thats just a suggestion!!

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would suggest that its a job thats not worth DIY. Soldering high density D types is tricky at the best of times, and if you're going to try and get 5 standard size video cables into one you're going to have trouble covering the end adequately.

Maplin do 'high quality' vga leads, m-m and f-m, for £14.99 for 2M. I've used their 10M version for PC monitors and they work fine, no smearing or reflections.
    Its certainly worth £15 to me to avoid all that hassle!

Bill

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    would have to agree with severnsource, soldering a vga plug is not nice with 5 "full size" coax cables. it can be done with time and effort though, so if you are up to the challenge and are competent with soldering iron then go for it:smashin:

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Hrm, not looking good on the DIY front...

Perhaps when the time comes, I'll just buy a 1 metre length from TheMediaFactory (Joe Fernand) who is now selling Bettercables cables within the UK (and save me courier and import duty).

StooMonster

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Van Damme sell a 5 core mini coax cable in the 'red series' range for just the purpose you are asking about. Maplin and CPC have it on their sites or direct VDC .

I just have one of their standard VGA cables and can't find anything wrong with it.:)

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Thanks for that, didn't even consider Van Damme in DIY scheme; but an obvious contender.

Could also use Belden, but difficult to locate in UK and have to import I guess.

StooMonster